Author Topic: TF Confusion  (Read 897 times)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
TF Confusion
« on: August 31, 2007, 01:09:55 pm »
I was following "Creating a new area from scratch" tutorial and until seem to go well until the end when it says:

Go to Layer 2, with Exits still shown on the map, and put the grass tile 65 on the Exit (if you can't find it in the tileset, just righit click grass tiles until you see "65" pop up in Tile on the regular Overworld info sidebar). Now write to memory and save. The house will now be solid! Next, we need to make sure the tile beneath the exit partly supports exits. I'm not sure if sand does, but grass tile 45 is walkable and does allow exits to be placed on it. Thus, make the tile below the house in Layer 2 grass tile 45.
What is confusing me is where do I place tile 65 & 45? Should they be on the same location or on adjacent places? And because the red exit box is covering half of E,22 and the other half of E,23 the tiles don't match up quite right with the exit?

This is my first time using TF or anything of the like so pardon me if I am just missing something obvious.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: TF Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:56:55 pm »
I think that's just how the OW is. Just place a couple solid tiles (I think they're 65) in the back of the house, leaving the front open to walk on and reach the exit.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:52:49 pm »
And because the red exit box is covering half of E,22 and the other half of E,23 the tiles don't match up quite right with the exit?

You think you're confused, imagine how we felt when we were trying to figure this stuff out!

The exits are indeed a half-tile off (otherwise known as a quad or subtile).  If you look closely at the Truce area, shifting the exits to cover a single tile would make either the fairgrounds or the mayor's manor not covered by an exit.  An even better example might be the Zenan Bridge.

We did a ton of data manipulation and experimentation to confirm this is correct.

It should also be noted that the "65" that's mentioned here is only the subtile number of the northwest quadrant.  If you click on the different quadrants of the tile, it will bring up the corresponding subtile information.

---T.Geiger
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:55:16 pm by Geiger »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 05:31:28 pm »
Sweet, I got the exit working. Another question how does the scroll (direction work)?