Termina Esplanade - Special Events and Feedback > Dream Splash I - Zeal [2007]

Alphard and Demeria

<< < (2/6) > >>

Kyronea:
Frankly, I'm really liking this Zeality. Sorry I didn't read it sooner...I've not been paying too much attention to the Dream Splash contributions lately. Anyway, I want to see more.

What's really fascinating is how your style breaks tradition and is flighty and full of detail without going overboard. Usually when someone attempts this kind of thing, it either

A. Sounds too technical

or

B. They pull a Tolkien and go far, far overboard.

You have managed to avoid both, and that makes it superb.

ZeaLitY:
Well, thanks. Sorry, I was frustrated about something earlier, and seeing this with 0 replies unsettled me further.

So, sincerely, thanks. I worry to death about this, because it's my first prose piece for anything in ages, and I don't want to be flowery and misguided like I was with Gaspar Chronicle.

I'll try to write part two and three soon. Part three will be punctuated with another sonnet, this one decisively better.

ZeaLitY:
Scene Two

A wave of iridescent, shining light enveloped two figures upon a detailed platform, dissipating their shadowy impressions through millions of crystal sparkles. A column of holiness descended to the earth, uniting the land and the sky as the forms of man and woman filtered to a waiting Land Bridge with angelic flair. The beam lasted for five seconds ere evanescing in atmospheric shimmer; within the jeweled walls of the snow-covered edifice, the travelers stepped from a magical pad and affirmed their preparedness. Each wore dark purple and blue uniforms charged with a melancholy aesthetic. Beneath each crease of fabric and crevice of silk lay powerful trinkets -- spell orbs, fire-bringers, concentration rings, and skill capsules -- and opulent silver daggers stood fastened to their hips. Each accessory served to magnify elemental intensity, increasing the vigor of magic with a vastly lethal edge.

But the male felt little need for what he considered overkill. He regretted the extra weight as he moved beyond the ruby archway and stepped out into the frigid reality of earth. A freezing wind blasted the faces of the duo immediately, managing to blow snowflakes into the structure before its shield returned -- as if to slight those who dwelled beyond the reach of icy clouds. A snappy bite chastened the female's eyes, barely visible above a flared collar designed to shield the mouth. Upon each head were navy blue, argent hats, blending at a distance into the color of the horizon's beryl nebulosity. Alphard recalled the words teachers told their pupils in childhood -- to visit the cold hell below, and feel grateful for residency in the heavens. How diametric to the idea of Zeal, he thought, which conquered the frozen lands centuries ago. If there were a price to be paid for ascending to temperate climes, it had already been suffered by millions of ancestors who lived pathetically in dank caves before daring to rise in defiance of the blizzard. His only 'respect' for the howling chill was equal resentment, and he cursed having to tread in its blast this day. Zeal's winter festival was reminder enough.

He slipped behind the female, who trudged forward until reaching the edge of a jagged canyon. Looking back, their footsteps had disappeared in mere seconds. Unfolding her collar, she allowed her raven, blue hair to catch the harsh breeze and a pale expression to face the abyss.

"...I feel them. This is it, all right," she spoke.

"Bah," Alphard began. "They picked a hell of a place to hide out."

The King of Zeal strode forward, surveying the land's surrendering slope below for a path into the gorge. Demeria had taken ropes and picks if needed.

"I'm surprised they're moving again...it's not every day a pack of beasts attacks Enlightened Ones and slaughters a Nu," she reflected.

"Well, I believe it... The Demons are obsessed with magic. It's hard enough keeping them out of the Earthbound caves, but if they're going to harass us too...well, we need some kind of solution."

"Like what? Eradicate them?" she joked.

"...No...well, short of going two hundred years back in time and stopping the Starren incursion, I guess we'll just have to keep slapping them on the wrist. What a bother..."

"Well jeez, Alph," she began, recognizing his mood. "Don't let it keep you up at night."

The cold seeped through his felt gloves as he started to scale the cliff with his sister leading. Obsidian-colored outcroppings threatened to impale anyone unfortunate to slip, but the siblings' elemental attachments were decent insurance against the pitfall. Alphard did not despise the Demons as much as he hated simply having to accompany his sister on an annual, traditional combat mission. Each year, the King and Queen were required by doctrine established in the founding of Zeal to fight alongside the Seneschal on a deadly mission to affirm royal skill in a visual display. Since the sky bore no strife, many spectators declined to journey to earth, and this time, even the brave stayed away for fear of the sinewy beasts which roamed the plains. Their Demon overlords, capable of magic and hateful of humans, did little to encourage participation.

Demeria spied two garden-variety creatures gnawing at one of the rare ice-root veins which held the permafrost together beneath the sheer walls of rock. Upon closer inspection, she discovered another, tinged cyan and camouflaged amidst icicles. She cracked her knuckles.

"Yeah, we're here," she confirmed. "Rock paper scissors? If I win, I get to take on the elemental one!"

"Take it, take it. Roast it or something; I don't care," Alphard shrugged.

With a concerned look, Demeria turned from him and unleashed a wave of fire following a speedy incantation. The balls of flame burned brighter as they neared their targets; within seconds, two had been completely incinerated, including the Water-innate. The third turned and ran at breakneck pace towards Alphard, who began the hand motions for a simple spell. Neglecting his guard, he fell back in mild shock as the beast suddenly lunged in his direction. The savage animal cleared his prostrate form like a hurdle; he felt its horrible breath upon his pale cheek. Angry, he unleashed a raging yell as he exploded a Dark Bomb upon the recovering creature, negating and scattering its atoms. The weather's wispy hum became a chorus as many more heard the cry of their fallen comrades and prepared to meet the two assailants.

"Here they come," Demeria warned. "That was some Dark Bomb back there. You all right? I know this isn't the most fun part of being King..." she trailed off, listening for the inevitable stampede.

"Yeah, I guess...just a bad day."

The first leaped from a rocky ledge, its claws bared and ready to slash. Demeria withdrew her Lasher Dagger and met it in air, plunging the etherically-charged blade in a single killing blow before standing up and brushing a few ice crystals off her shoulder.

"It's that little altercation, isn't it? You still dwelling on it?"

Alphard squinted in time to see a Fire-innate beast emerge from a small cave with sparks flying down its raised back. Minimizing his effort, he simply flicked a Ice marble orb and commanded it to break with a motion of his left hand.

"'Still'? It was just yesterday, you know. Samele's still ticked off; she wouldn't even talk to me this morning," he grumbled.

Two beasts attempted a flanking maneuver, and were met by Demeria's rapid counterattacks.

"What was it you guys were arguing about, again?" she asked, knowing that Alphard's melancholy had begun long before his row with Queen Zeal.

"Just...politics," he admitted, feebly trying to dodge the conversation.

"Ah, the Earthbound again?"

"Y--"

A pack of Demonic monsters cut off his reply with furious shouts and snorts. Annoyed, Alphard threw his dagger with deadly precision at the throat of the first, preparing a Sky spell to intercept the second. Demeria recited her own display of magic, but hesitated upon seeing the aft creature, covered in brilliant, white fur. Alphard heard her command to use his spell on that particular beast; as expected, the offensive power was totally lost; the creature apparently gained energy. A subsequent Darkness blast destroyed it with ease.

"So, the Demons have figured out how to make Sky and Darkness innates...this is a little serious," Demeria muttered.

"Yeah...what a bother. I guess we have to take them over or something if they've gone this far."

The final beast rushed suicidally at Alphard, who again failed to exercise his strength in time. He casually dodged the hulking mass of flesh, escaping with only a slight bruise on his side. This time, Demeria finished the creature off.

"What's with you? This isn't a game! Stop risking yourself like that. You're really perturbed by that fight with Sam, aren't you?"

He felt shamed to admit it. Yesterday rang clearly in his mind; the darkness of the bedroom, and the forceful timber of Samele's jagged voice plagued his consciousness. The argument had been straightforward, with pauses only to draw the heated breath demanded by frayed tempers. Demeria knew the story; Alphard had likely pressed his wife to exercise her sway among her familial relatives and sphere of influence on some progressive issue, and she had probably reprimanded him for seeking to fragment the unity of Zeal's upper innates and use her as a political tool. Of course, he would never do such a thing; power and responsibility to him were frequently obstacles in achieving his own enlightenment. Unfortunately, Samele was monitored by the elders of the Creojeanne family and several other nobles who could exercise elemental skill without need of the Sun Stone. Inside those ranks, some of the older, more conceited ideas lurked in the minds of honored retainers -- precisely the people Alphard shunned with his long trips to Enhasa and vacations among the private fountains and gardens of Zeal.

"Well, looks like I hit the nail on the head," she jeered, hoping to evoke a response.

"...It's worse than that..."

Two more approached, commanded by a Mud-Tamer Imp who withdrew upon seeing the tell-tale signs of royal rank. Demeria dispatched his creations in a single motion.

"It's...like I'm stonewalled every time I try to do something. Samele can only confide to me in secret, and any time I try to take action on something she has to waffle so she doesn't cause a stir. And it's been like this for months..."

"Well then, what exactly is your agenda?" she asked, knowing the answer.

"Oh, come on. Don't give me the lectures I've heard about exploring Earthbound empowerment, or expanding Darkness power capacities among the populace. It's all for a better cause."

"Still, you're trying to make big changes," she cautioned.

"But they shouldn't be this difficult. For months, I've felt powerless. I want to move Zeal forward, or at least make some kind of purpose out of my position other than a decoration at galas."

Alphard saw Demeria begin to speak, and cut her off.

"Oh yeah, combat and ability. Well, enough of that drudgery. It's boring to refine my arts all day, and besides, Schala and my newborn son are going to continue the line anyway. At least in my youth, I could sit around and feel at peace. Now I'm chained to some throne. The only people who want to try new ideas are the Gurus, or maybe Belthasar's flock at Kajar...and everyone at Enhasa is sleeping anyway."

"What?" she asked poignantly. "Do you think you're totally alone or something?"

"Don't give me that. What have you done as Seneschal? Those little Lashers and Bashers just boss around the Earthbound who come to watch our arrivals and departures."

"Are you serious!? I doubt you've ever even noticed them; how do you know how they act? And being best buds with that Belthasar isn't exactly somethin to brag about--"

"Well, what have you done, then? Where's your voice in the royal audiences?" he snapped, desiring nothing short of total volunteering.

"You know damn well I've been to every one. Just quiet down, Alphard. You're still angry with Samele, so don't take it out on everyone. Go cool down somewhere. You don't even know about the codes--"

Steeped in self-pity, he could not tolerate such a facile dismissal of his cares.

"It's utter monotony, and no one's helping me with it. Do you know what it's like to stare down those guys? Those smug Creojeannes...they've got all their esoteric art, like the Skygate, and Hallation, and Sycle..."

"Quit fuming. You're preaching to the choir, and more people than you think are aware of this stuff. Do you love Samele?" she knew the unchanging, sincere answer, but even then, Alphard wanted to hate her today on principle alone, even if for only a second.

He would not be given the time. The Mud-Tamer Imp returned with five shadowy beasts, their type never before witnessed by human eyes. Alphard felt deprived of fighting spirit, allowing a latent fear of the Demons into his psyche. Knowing the danger better than he, Demeria sprung to her feet with Alphard stumbling behind. Despite her concentrated efforts, a dreaded Crescent Synergy erupted as her Darkness-innate aura tangled with the raw emanations of the raven, snarling creatures. Alphard tried to break it with Luminaire, but neglect and unfamiliarity with Sky power resulted in only two creatures succumbing. With quickened pulse, he slashed the neck of a third, feeling stinging pain as the creature's overcharged elemental force shocked his arm. That the Demons could breed artificial Shadow innate beasts was unthinkable. Such creatures could never recite spells, but this was not important: the Demons sought only to make juggernauts. Nearly trampled, Demeria rolled away and overpowered the fourth. But the fifth grew berserk by the death of its comrades, and exploded at her with unstoppable ferocity. A paralyzing metallic slice broke the wind's howl.

Demeria watched upon a blanket of snow as a crimson shade covered her right eye. She felt her essence seep down her nose, and partly down her left cheek. The pain did not sink very deeply into her contorted visage, and she remained conscious. She wiped her eyes to find Alphard standing tensely over her, his right arm holding a dagger and supporting the dead beast in mid-air; his left, bloodied from the dying swipe of razor claws. His thrust complete, he threw the beast to the side and turned to Demeria. Gasping, he wiped her face with a purple sleeve and began curative magic.

"The codes...I order them to...treat the Earthbound with utmost respect..." she whispered.

"Yeah, I...don't doubt it, not for a second. I'm sorry. It looks like a bad scratch. I'm really sorry...this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't..."

"Ah, who cares," she said, sitting up. "It's only skin deep. Just don't let it happen again, heh..."

On a drift near the Land Bridge, Alphard paused with the thought-to-be-dead Nu behind him. Demeria stopped and noticed his glance, which seemed to extend beyond the far horizon. She knew a half-soliloquy would follow, and let the words move from his worrying mind to his tongue.

"It's my fault. I guess I'm sort of depressed about all this...it's not that big a problem, maybe. It's just hard to deal with Samele, when I know she has such a tragic past...and to confine my own experiences..."

"Alphard," she responded, "don't belittle your wishes and fears. These aren't trifles if they've managed to make you this unhappy. Sure, the Queen might be touchy and under a lot of pressure, but let her grow and wrestle her own issues. I doubt you're being mean to her."

"But what about the rest? The unending, boring struggle..."

"You're just not used to opposition, Alphard. Mom and dad let you do what you wanted, and when you did decide to put your passion into something, it was as good as done. Do you expect that personal success rate to translate into changing a centuries-old kingdom at will? It's not like we have any ancestors or past civilizations to learn from, either...we're the first. We've got a lot riding on that. So of course there's going to be hesitation on all sides. But you know in your heart that it's not as bad as it seems. You're barely a few years into this."

"Seven..."

"And you're doubting yourself this much already? You've already given Belthasar carte blanche to build that airship; you've allowed a special guild to pioneer elemental endurance...but best of all, you've commissioned amazing works of art which you'll someday match with that poetic skill of yours."

"Well...I guess, but--"

"Alphy, this is no way to go through life. You've got to care for yourself. I don't mean being selfish...but you've got to be the emperor of your life, and hold yourself to the highest standard. It's hard to see the big picture...but I'm sure you remember those days of lying around. Remember when we first saw the Shikar instrumentalists? Or walked on the cloud-platforms of Kajar? Stuff like that opens your mind to experiences and enjoyment you couldn't fathom beforehand. I'm telling you that life has a lot more to offer, and it's right around the corner. The best times are always ahead; if you make that the governing truth of your life, then your ascent will never end. Things may seem stale now, but don't ever restrict your happiness. If you suffer...make it tragic, like the part of an opera preceding the glorious resolution. And when you achieve victory...savor and celebrate that feeling like it's going out of style. Let every day be magical, no matter how awful or amazing. In every step you take, and every breath you draw...live."

The Nu blinked with the end of her speech, and Alphard reined in his thousand-mile gaze. With other friends, he may have spoken an obligatory word of feigned resistance, or perhaps make an acknowledgment in jest. Years past had taught him that Demeria had a decisive voice in his world, and their closeness meant her thoughts felt like his own, making beautiful sense upon first hearing them. No matter how hard he tried to hide it, his spirits rose with replenished youth. He stood, expectant of the pleasant return to the sky. Demeria was pleased, though mindful of Samele's intermittent coldness towards her.

"Speechless, eh? Did it all go over your head?"

She gave him an exit from the awkward reminder of her seniority. He laughed as she began to speak.

"Heh, I've got some years on you, you know. Don't sweat it. Tomorrow's wind blows tomorrow, and with it, our aspirations can gain further ground."

"Oh, now you're just trying to be profound!" Alphard exclaimed.

"Aw, this, from mister poet extraordinaire?"

They laughed, and entered the structure with the Nu, now smiling thanks to their lighthearted cheer. The scar on Demeria's visage had already closed; perhaps she would keep it as a conversation-starter. Alphard certainly would; the eagerness to regale his old friends with stories of conquering the frigid wasteland and 'rescuing Demeria' rose within his throat. The depression lifted as the Sky Gate carried his form to the heavens; the eternal blanket of clouds seemed to sparkle from his vantage above. Zeal had sailed through them the previous day, covering its meadows, lakes, and stately palaces in a thin layer of shimmering frost and snow.

The Solstice had come, and though he would spend the next hour explaining with the Seneschal that Demons had created Sky and Darkness innates, he promised to tour the glacial festival by night. He hoped to find Samele there, and apologize. The life-or-death adventure that afternoon had reminded him of the hundreds of nights of starry bliss spent in her charmed company, and knew that as a lover of winter, she would wear a captivating outfit for the final evening of celebration. He would not let his own dissatisfaction at a world she transcended but desperately clung to her to stand between them again, nor sour the childhoods of Schala and their newborn son. From the northern winds, passionate wishes would be rekindled, and triumphantly bloom with spring. And brighter, more ideal springs always awaited realization, ever unlocked by higher aspiration and more zealous dreams.

...12007 B.C.

rushingwind:
Wow.  Incredible!  This is very interesting, and your writing style makes it an enjoyable read, as well.  :)

Flynn:
This is beyond amazing. Your writing is beautiful. Your word choice is dazzling poetic and yet completely understandable to the point where the image forms perfectly in the mind. Reading it was like floating in the clouds . . . the words flowed amazingly well. It wasn't technical, and your word choice allowed the story to speak more to the heart than to the mind.

--- Quote from: ZeaLitY on September 09, 2007, 04:35:39 am ---"Alphy, this is no way to go through life. You've got to care for yourself. I don't mean being selfish...but you've got to be the emperor of your life, and hold yourself to the highest standard. It's hard to see the big picture...but I'm sure you remember those days of lying around. Remember when we first saw the Shikar instrumentalists? Or walked on the cloud-platforms of Kajar? Stuff like that opens your mind to experiences and enjoyment you couldn't fathom beforehand. I'm telling you that life has a lot more to offer, and it's right around the corner. The best times are always ahead; if you make that the governing truth of your life, then your ascent will never end. Things may seem stale now, but don't ever restrict your happiness. If you suffer...make it tragic, like the part of an opera preceding the glorious resolution. And when you achieve victory...savor and celebrate that feeling like it's going out of style. Let every day be magical, no matter how awful or amazing. In every step you take, and every breath you draw...live."

--- End quote ---

That above says it all. Those words are beautiful and true. The best times always do lay ahead in the future no matter what ever happened in the past. And the part about being emperor of your life and holding yourself to the highest standard . . . extremely true. Your story was not only interesting, but spoke to the heart and that's something a lot of writers will never succeed at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version