Author Topic: Lavos Question  (Read 3785 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos Question
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »
Okay, so you know how Lavos' Core is a culmination of all the genetics contained by the planet's forms of life, right?  Pretty much the way I see it, Lavos CHOSE which genetic traits it wanted, ultimately manipulating itself to be the strongest lifeform possible.

Well my thought is the Destructive Rains From the Heavens is a thermonuclear attack (as discussed in another forum), potentially causing widespread thermonuclear destruction.  As such, it kills off all the weak lifeforms, and only the STRONGEST lifeforms are able to survive the longterm effects of the attack.

Now going on my own imagination, having destroyed most of the weak species, Lavos is then able to retrieve OPTIMAL genetic data, not only collecting it for it's own strengthening, but to also PASS IT ON to it's Spawns.  That way, the Spawn's contain the strengths of it's parent, plus some.  Then, when the Lavos Spawns leave and repeat the process, the Lavos species as a whole continuously betters itself.

Did that make sense?

I'm currently writing a thesis on Lavos, and some of that information is detailed within.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 10:31:25 am »
I agree that Lavos could choose what genetic traits to incorporate into itself (not that the Duck feet really says much for its decision making capabilities), however it should be noted that a thermonuclear attack wouldn't leave the "strongest" creatures alive, just those best suited to that environment (and that environment being craptacular). Certainly, this would leave the hardiest creatures still around (like cockroaches) but it would kill off a lot of otherwise powerful creatures (basically leaving just bacteria and some insects). If Lavos wanted genetic diversity (as diversity leads to adaptability), a thermonuclear attack would have been counterproductive (unless he already had that DNA). However, a thermonuclear attack would have been quite useful in killing off the more... delicate creatures and only leaving those that are the best at surviving (again, like Cockroaches). Yet Lavos seemed to take the form of mammals more than reptiles or insects. (for more on forms that Lavos took, see 1pt font).

Personally, I am still of the "eliminating competition" belief. Lavos probably integrated its genetic code with that of the planet before hand and merely was killing off the original copies (sort of like how it isn't unheard of for students to rip out pages of books in a library just so that other students can't use them for the same research paper).

... Lavos the Traveler - he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Reptites, the Traveler came as a large and moving Space Porcupine! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Zealean supplicants, they chose a new form for him - that of a giant Sloar! Many Earthbound and Enlightened Ones knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!

Dombattag

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm new, So what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:41 pm »
After Lavos was done eating at the resturant called Earth, he didn't want to pay the bill, so he destroyed the florishing civilization. XD

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Once and Future King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 09:10:30 pm »
Lavos isn't evil, humans aren't evil, we just do what's needed to survive.
Well since we don't know that much about the species beyond what is observable through him/her, it is entirely possible that s/he's a dick even amongst his/her own species... I'll give you that feeding on earth is most probably survival, but for all we know, some of his other actions (Baiting Zeal and whatnot), may fall outside the species norm, like frying ants with a magnifying glass. Since we don't have any control members of his species, saying either way is guess work.