Author Topic: Schala Painting  (Read 6789 times)

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Schala Painting
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:20:22 am »
This is a digital painting of Schala I did about a year ago.  I used a model for reference (cause I'm not that good at art), but I ended up tweaking the face so it doesn't really look like the reference at all.  She looks just like I imagined Schala would...which is what I was going for.  I've always meant to go back and touch it up, but lately I've been writing fanfic instead.  One day I'll go and fix it up.  This particular file is a little bit grainy because it's in a compressed format.  I'll dig out the uncompressed version and post it later.

I know it's not new, but its the first time I've ever shared it with the public (apart from the little chunk of it in my avatar).  I guess it's okay to submit for the Dream Splash, right?   :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Schala Painting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 04:35:12 am »
Definitely. I'd wondered about the avatar for a while now. It's quite the sapphire jewel with which to adorn the crown of our Dream Splash!...

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:37:34 pm »
its really good, but i think it would be better if you actually had her in Schala's outfit, and not just a white shirt.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:11:30 pm »

Wow. Simply amazing!

You should do some more of this artwork for the rest of the Chrono Trigger cast, especially the various people in Zeal.

And some Chrono Cross peeps too, like Kid.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:34:54 am »
Definitely. I'd wondered about the avatar for a while now. It's quite the sapphire jewel with which to adorn the crown of our Dream Splash!...

Thank you, ZeaLitY!  That means a lot to me coming from you.   :)

its really good, but i think it would be better if you actually had her in Schala's outfit, and not just a white shirt.

Thank you.  :)  I did originally plan to do it in her Zeal outfit, ponytail and all.  But as I started, there was too much color in the picture and it felt too busy.  I wanted something simple, and I felt that her Zeal outfit made the picture something else...it didn't capture the essence of her character.  Simplifying the colors and putting her in white, while subduing all the other colors seemed to make a more striking image, and captured her spirit (in my opinion, anyway).  While one could argue that the Zeal outfit is part of Schala's identity, I wanted the picture to be about her, not her kingdom.

This doesn't mean I won't do a picture of her in her Zeal outfit in the future.  :)

There are many things about the picture that I don't like.  Her eyes are a little to olive green for my liking, and there are places where the blue in her hair smudged onto her skin. 

*sigh*  I'll fix it someday, when I have more time.

Wow. Simply amazing!

You should do some more of this artwork for the rest of the Chrono Trigger cast, especially the various people in Zeal.

And some Chrono Cross peeps too, like Kid.

Wow, thanks!  :)  I've actually planned to do a picture of Glenn from Cross, and probably Kid too.  It took me a very long time to do this one, though, so it'll be a little while till I get around to it. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:39:26 am by rushingwind »

Cooper

• Guardian (+100)
  • aka Lightningstrike
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 04:09:57 am »
Wow nice work !

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:08:15 pm »

At first I thought that too, but she's gotta wear something under those robes, right? ...or DOES SHE!?!?

Anyways, pretty awesome pic. I never knew that's who your avy was supposed to be...the hair seems a bit more blue than the Zealian's hair hue...

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 05:06:18 am »
At first I thought that too, but she's gotta wear something under those robes, right? ...or DOES SHE!?!?

Heh.  That was not my exact train of thought, though now that you mention it...   :D

Anyways, pretty awesome pic. I never knew that's who your avy was supposed to be...the hair seems a bit more blue than the Zealian's hair hue...

Thank you.  And yes, it is quite blue, isn't it?  I wondered about it myself when I was creating it, wondering if it would be too much so.  However, I think it stands out so much because the rest of the picture is so devoid of color.  I was trying to go for a life-like look in this picture, though you're right, her hair is probably much too blue for that...

But I can't help it.  I like blue.  :)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 07:42:54 pm »
It's funny because the first time I saw it, it reminded me of Terra/Tina from FFVI, but then I was all like, "No, wait, her hair is green..." :lol:

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:19:03 pm »
It sort of looks like Queen Zeal too.