Author Topic: New Member?  (Read 2504 times)

Atlas

• Springtime of Youth
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Steam Soldier
    • View Profile
New Member?
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:38:56 am »
Lol, I know how it works, but I think it is funny that after almost a year and a half, I still am a "New Member."

I love Chrono Trigger, and i spent almost a day trying to get it to work on my ds... (never got it to work perfectly...), but I've never found too much interest in tearing apart a games storyline for cracks in the wall. >_> 
:lee: still a funny emote  :lee:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: New Member?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:43:35 am »
Hah, I've thought about reworking the rank system so that Lavos (+3000) comes before the heroes, but then the upper ranks would already be spoiled...

But I've got some tasty ideas for ranks above that, like the ominous "Paradox" or even "Time Devourer". Still, I'm probably going to reach these ranks before anyone...

Bleah, all the Gurus of [Anything] have vanished except Geiger. I guess we should hold a new court sometime.

Atlas

• Springtime of Youth
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Steam Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 03:45:14 am »
Is 15 posts the next rank after new member?

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:02:50 am »
Lol, I know how it works, but I think it is funny that after almost a year and a half, I still am a "New Member."

I know how you feel.  :)  I lurked on this forum for more than a year before I finally joined, and I've been a member about a year.  So I feel like I've been around forever, but I only have thirty-some posts.  :)

Hah, I've thought about reworking the rank system so that Lavos (+3000) comes before the heroes, but then the upper ranks would already be spoiled...

But I've got some tasty ideas for ranks above that, like the ominous "Paradox" or even "Time Devourer". Still, I'm probably going to reach these ranks before anyone...

Bleah, all the Gurus of [Anything] have vanished except Geiger. I guess we should hold a new court sometime.

"Time Devourer" would be an awesome rank.  How many posts do you have to have to be a Guru, out of curiosity?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 04:49:57 am »
Yep, 15 posts turns you into...Guardian, I think.

Guruship started back in 2003. I wanted to reward the best of the analysis forum, so we held a poll. It sort of failed, so I just resorted to hand picking a few members. Originally, the Guru of Life (Aitrus) was renowned for remembering the plots with great detail and discussing many subjects. The Guru of Time (warmgun) contributed much to the Axioms and Corollaries article (predecessor to Principles of Time and Dimensional Travel), and the Guru of Reason (GrayLensman) was the exemplary jack-of-all-trades.

Here's the write-up on the About page:

Gurus are members of the Chrono Compendium recognized for outstanding individual contributions to analysis, the Chrono Compendium, and the popularity and enjoyment of the Chrono series on whole. Guru status is reserved for the highest possible achievements in individual fields; existing Gurus become emerita upon the promotion of new courts. For types of achievement, Life is reserved for creative, Time for analytical, and Reason for analytical and miscellaneous.

Court I - Aitrus (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), warmgun (Time)
            Court II - Aitrus (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), The_UnknownUser_ (Time)
            Court III - Aitrus (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), Leebot (Time)
            Court IV - Geiger (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), Leebot (Time)
            Court V - KWhazit (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), Leebot (Time)

Since analysis is basically done, Guru of Life is now a sort of fan project or general community recognition rank. Leebot came back, so we didn't change Time from its roots in temporal analysis. Reason became the general catch-all for analysis and participation in all things, as Chrono'99 / GrayLensman were keen on modification, analysis, community projects, and fan fiction.

Still, the Guru system sort of made me nervous, because I felt like giving the status to some but not all contributors is a little elitist. So I've tried to reserve it only for amazing, wonderful stuff. Geiger made an invaluable contribution with Temporal Flux, and KWhazit followed it up with the CT Retranslation. If Chrono Crisis is finished, it'd be fun to make Chains of Fate the next, as Crisis would spark a lot of interest and vitality in the community.

"Retired" Gurus (basically, those who go inactive, since active ones keep the title) are given "Emeritus" ranks. Since KWhazit hasn't been to the forums in months (presumably he's busy with other stuff), I should probably just shift it back to Geiger...really, these Gurus ranks are cursed. Everyone they're awarded to seem to fall off the face of the earth.

I've thought about at least making some kind of public group thing, with many options such as "Dalton's Deceptive Diaspora" or "Magus's Shadow Mystics", which any forum member could join and get a special title with. It'd solve the problem of having unique community status apart from post count. We'd have to limit the options, or we might end up with a lot of 1 member groups. And we'd also have to find an SMF forum hack to allow this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:53:29 am by ZeaLitY »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:24:08 am »
5000+: Procreator

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 06:50:42 am »

I should get to be the Guru of Reason.

Or, at the very least, the Guru of Rampant Bullshit.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 06:56:16 am »
I second this notion.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 07:54:20 am »
I want to be the Guru of Burning Zeppelin.

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 10:36:57 am »
I want to be Fritz.

Woop, I actually said that out loud.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 12:52:08 pm »
I'd rather be Queen Zeal. She ruled over the gurus.

Yes, even though I'm a guy, I'd want to be queen.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 05:46:49 pm »

I love Chrono Trigger, and i spent almost a day trying to get it to work on my ds... (never got it to work perfectly...), but I've never found too much interest in tearing apart a games storyline for cracks in the wall. >_> 
:lee: still a funny emote  :lee:
!?!

I Know him.

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 05:51:44 pm »

Gentleman, I present you... Drag Queen Zeal!

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 06:36:28 pm »

Gentleman, I present you... Drag Queen Zeal!

Please... we all know I am the champion, my friend.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 10:04:55 pm »
Ugh, what wonderful discussion. Brings to mind the days of Matt Shadows and the endless torrent of one-liner posts. I can't control how you guys post, but I was hoping I'd at least get some kind of constructive feedback for the Guru system...