Author Topic: Kino and Azala  (Read 3362 times)

Ryu-Kami

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Kino and Azala
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:10:12 am »
Call me stupid, but this was bugging for while. I keep hearing that Kino wasn't born in 65 mil, but was found. Where in the game was that stated? And are there anymore details to it?

And about Azala. Is it true that he was really a she? And was it explain about it's psychic powers? I know it's strongly about advance evolvotion; but it's just seems a bit werid that most reptites at that point were barely higher than the earily humans.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Kino and Azala
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:12:51 am »
If you go to 65000000 B.C. before you're supposed to, a villager states that Kino was found on Mystic Mts as a baby. This is probably a Woolseyism, because the Japanese is more ambiguous:

[Woman]
   You came that mountain?
   Many mystery things happen that mountain.
   So called Mystery Mountain.

Kino same too.
   Was crying at mountain one day.
   Chief raised Kino.
   Now Kino chief's right arm.

Makes it seem like Kino got lost and cried there. At any rate, we have no other details.

Azala's gender has never been proven one way or the other. Like the hair dye of Zeal that doesn't exist, people say that Azala is called a "she" somewhere in CT. But it never happens, and neither is his psychic power explained. Azala (the Compendium forumer) is possibly making a ROM hack about that, though.

Ryu-Kami

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:25:23 am »
Okay. Thanks.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 05:39:05 am »
If you go to 65000000 B.C. before you're supposed to, a villager states that Kino was found on Mystic Mts as a baby. This is probably a Woolseyism, because the Japanese is more ambiguous:

[Woman]
   You came that mountain?

Kino same too.
   Chief raised Kino.

Makes it seem like Kino got lost and cried there. At any rate, we have no other details.

Azala's gender has never been proven one way or the other. Like the hair dye of Zeal that doesn't exist, people say that Azala is called a "she" somewhere in CT. But it never happens, and neither is his psychic power explained. Azala (the Compendium forumer) is possibly making a ROM hack about that, though.

Well, by saying that Kino was crying there and was raised by the chief, we can only assume that he was young when he was found there.
And I'm assuming by Chief, it might have been Ayla's predecessor? Otherwise, what, Ayla is like 10 years older than Kino, at least. We have to assume that their life expectancies were still short, like 30 years. That way Ayla maybe was a chief since she was 5 or something.

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 12:22:50 pm »

I may or may not mention a gender. However, I'm thinking about explaining the psychic power.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 04:04:22 pm »
[Woman]
   You came that mountain?

Kino same too.
   Chief raised Kino.

Well, by saying that Kino was crying there and was raised by the chief, we can only assume that he was young when he was found there.
And I'm assuming by Chief, it might have been Ayla's predecessor? Otherwise, what, Ayla is like 10 years older than Kino, at least. We have to assume that their life expectancies were still short, like 30 years. That way Ayla maybe was a chief since she was 5 or something.

Kino was definitely raised by Ayla. She's the only chief ever mentioned in the game, and I'd certainly define Kino has her "right hand." You have to remember that this is Chrono land, so life expectancies and such in our times don't necessarily effect those in the game.

Ayla is depicted as a sexy older woman, too, so it's not too unbelievable to think of her as being in her thirties. Plus, she's a freaky strong cavewoman, and could have easily become cheif in her late teens, and even if someone could overpower her, they like her way of thinking and leading so probably wouldn't have. She chief long time.

Chrono Master

• Guardian (+100)
  • Our will is the key to our dreams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 04:31:21 pm »
ZeaLity, I think you might be talking about Marle' mom which is very similar to Azala's name. I think it is somthing like: Alaza, but I'm not sure so that means time to get back to playing CT for my 100th time. 8)

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 05:32:37 pm »
...Unless you're talking about the "she" bit CM, I think it's safe to say that Marle's mom(Aliza, IIRC) is a chick.

I can't seem to find any references to Azala using pronouns, but since Azala is a fairly feminine-sounding name and most fan interpretation seems to go that way, let's just keep on calling it a chick-lizard

Chrono Master

• Guardian (+100)
  • Our will is the key to our dreams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 03:16:11 pm »
I bet you're right about Azala being a girl, but I knew That Somthing was up when The CT crew offered to help the Lizard ruler. But Azala just had to go and get a spine at her end by wanting to go down with the Tyranno Lair.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 04:58:11 pm »

I thought Zeality summed it up well, but apparently not if you people think Azala is a "she".
We just don't know.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:51:13 am »
I would be more inclined to believe azala a female as the smarter dinosaurs were female((evidence of larger brains)) and beleived to have been more vicious((visious?)) and as far as kino goes.. how about the hidden village? possible that the old man there used to be chief? and ayla took over when he went into hiding..? and so took over his right hand man

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 03:35:01 pm »
I would be more inclined to believe azala a female as the smarter dinosaurs were female((evidence of larger brains)) and believed to have been more vicious((visious?)) and as far as kino goes.. how about the hidden village? possible that the old man there used to be chief? and ayla took over when he went into hiding..? and so took over his right hand man

Just because female dinosaurs were more intelligent and vicious in our world doesn't mean that the Reptites were the same way in the Chrono world (I don't believe the game specifies which gender was more intelligent in the Chrono world). 

One point that could be made is that in Chrono Cross, the Dragonians are said to be Azala's descendants, and all through Chrono Trigger (if I remember correctly) linage was specified to be matrilineal (Marle is descended from Leene and Aliza, who in turn are descended from Ayla in the distant past, ect.).

And even if linage is matrilineal, that doesn't mean that the societies are matriarchal.  For example, Ayla is probably chief because she's the strongest warrior, not necessarily because the human tribes are led by women.  Remember, when Ayla leaves to go with Crono, later on one of the villagers says "Ayla quit chief--Kino chief now".  And even if Ioka was primarily led by women, that doesn't mean the Reptites were the same way. 

Since there's no way to conclusively deduce Azala's gender, until the creators say one way or the other, it'll be impossible to tell.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:06:12 pm »
Azala has a pink cape and a name that ends with "a", plus if it was a she there'd be cooler parallel with Ayla.

What's the retranslation say about Azala's speech?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:11:21 pm »
Azala has a pink cape and a name that ends with "a", plus if it was a she there'd be cooler parallel with Ayla.
Tata and Banta have names that end with "a" yet they are male.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 09:55:47 pm »
They also have mustaches and over-sized penises. The "a" thing only applies when it makes my argument valid.