Author Topic: If I novelized Chrono Trigger  (Read 1651 times)

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
If I novelized Chrono Trigger
« on: October 17, 2004, 07:54:44 pm »
I'm rrreeeealllly bored. So I'm novelizing the three chrono games. RD was the easiest :P.

Anway, for the CT one, should it start where the game starts, or should I make a Prolouge out of the Day of Lavos ending?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 08:03:12 pm »
FYI, Claado Shou is working on making it into a "movie" (script and music, but no actual movie).

I'd say start off with the Day of the Lavos as the Prologue; otherwise, it takes too long to get into the real story.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 08:21:50 pm »
Thanks for the pimpin', Leebot.

Anyway, a CT novel might be cool.  Except for the fact that I know of two such projects which have been swiftly destroyed by Square-Enix.  So I wouldn't get my hopes up on finishing it before the C&D order comes around.

The only reason I got my script done is because it takes less than a week to write a screenplay, and I didn't advertise it until it was done.  A novel would take months to finish, not to mention that you've already put the word out for everyone to hear.  Though I doubt S-E will be checking this particular forum anytime soon, I'd keep the whole thing on the down-low until you're done.

As for starting points, it's always best to capture the reader's attention within the first ten pages, and the opening pages have to have an incredible hook for the audience.  Meaning, keep them wanting more with suspense, action, etc.  As long as you want to keep writing, they'll want to keep reading. :)

So yeah, go for it.  Just...don't advertise in public places.  Especially not the GenDisc forum.  

~.C.S.~

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 08:36:46 pm »
One of the projects was trying to get it published. Mine's more of a fan-novelization than a fan-project, but I'll still be trying my hardest.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 09:12:29 pm »
A few points about legality:

SE has no ability to stop you from writing whatever you want. They can, however, demand that you not post it on the internet. That said, they probably won't mind if you present it as fanfiction, and don't try to profit from it. Most of the projects that have gotten nixed either tried to profit from it, or tried to create a "remake" of the game (which would discourage people from buying a copy of the real McCoy).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 09:37:51 pm »
Well, if SE ever finds the Compendium's Fan Project page, it'd be hilarious to see a mass homocide of these efforts.

Actually, it wouldn't be hilarious.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 07:36:07 pm »
Quote from: GreenGannon

I'd puch choo in da mouff.

Also, don't start on the Day of Lavos...that'd ruin the surprise in 2400AD when Crono & Co. are in the computer room and Marle hits that dreaded red button! If yer gunna novelize it, novelize it how it's seen when you play it, not how it's seen after you've played it.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 07:49:58 pm »
Yeah, but I want to fit the Day of Lavos in somewhere.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 08:44:09 pm »
The problem with that is that the game doesn't start off intensely enough. While this is fine for a video game (and sometimes, a movie), a book has to capture the reader's attention almost immediately.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 11:39:16 pm »
Quote from: Leebot
The problem with that is that the game doesn't start off intensely enough. While this is fine for a video game (and sometimes, a movie), a book has to capture the reader's attention almost immediately.

I think I should point out that the movie resulting from my script would start out rather intensely, even though nothing interesting happens until page 7 or so.  The music during the opening sequence would automatically set the audience on edge, give them a taste of the things to come.  That's why I want it to be smooth, then intense, then cooled down towards the end, so they get a sense of the film itself.  Powerful music will keep the viewer pumped for several minutes, just enough time for the story to get interesting.

As for the book comment, Leebot = correct.  Having the book start off in the action is a must.  It would be artistic suicide to not hook the reader in the first ten pages.  Remember that.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 06:01:06 am »
Please, plenty of great authors don't use 'hooks' in the beginnings of their books...Stephen King rarely uses something so hackney as a 'hook'...Save 'hooks' for crappy Hip Hop songs...

The first 15 min of most movies are normally backstory or information unless they decide to 'break the rules' or something gimicky like that...You don't need an opening hook for something to be successful. That's a low road that you shouldn't go down.

Aside from that, isn't Crono & Marle's traveling through time enough of a hook? C'mon, teleporters, a Millenial Fair, and then accidental time traveling, and you need the Day of Lavos to grab people's attention? I think not.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 10:45:54 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Please, plenty of great authors don't use 'hooks' in the beginnings of their books...Stephen King rarely uses something so hackney as a 'hook'

Not true.  Just because something huge and important doesn't happen doesn't mean there's nothing to keep the reader attentive.  King's characters always have interesting lives and/or dilemmas, which we immediately discover within the novel.  There are always questions we ask ourselves when reading his books that make us desire to continue.  His hooks are emotional, which is sometimes just as effective/more effective than ones involving explosions and apocalyptic events.  

The first 15 min of most movies are normally backstory or information unless they decide to 'break the rules' or something gimicky like that...

Yeah, and most movies fail miserably.  Any movie worth its salt immediately catches the viewer with the promise of something interesting.  We see a main character that has pictures of his wife and child, but neither of them are with him.  We hear him have a conversation with his girlfriend, and she breaks up with him.  Any number of things that aren't backstory can keep the audience guessing and wanting more.  It's just how you play your cards, that's all.

Aside from that, isn't Crono & Marle's traveling through time enough of a hook? C'mon, teleporters, a Millennial Fair, and then accidental time traveling, and you need the Day of Lavos to grab people's attention? I think not.

This is true.  I would suggest using some sort of emotional draw in order to keep them intrigued up until the actual plot comes in.  Make Crono more of an actual human character.  Give him a personality.  Be creative (pardon the cliche).

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 12:02:20 pm »
Quote from: Claado Shou
Make Crono more of an actual human character.  Give him a personality.  Be creative (pardon the cliche).

I'll expand a little: Let Crono talk. The silent protagonist can only be pulled off in video games. In a book or movie, it never works (and is generally never tried).

One tactic certain writers use to catch readers is to take the most dramatic moment (that doesn't spoil anything) of their book and reprint on the first page (as in, before the title page, even). This gives the reader a promise of what's to come, while not being an actual part of the story (like a prologue is).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 03:45:03 pm »
Okay, that was what I meant...I thought you were mainly thinking of a big event rather than something emotional or something...What about Crono's lack of a father (although it's never explained...)?

I think it'd still be possible to pull Crono off as a quiet (not mute) boy. He rarely needs to speak...a lot of his emotions can be expressed through thought and...expressions...but, of course, there are plenty of times when he talks in the game, only without a dialogue box...

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 02:05:11 am »
I think V_Translanka is right.  It shouldn't take too long to get to the end of the Millennial Fair scene, and you already have a person disappearing!  What more could you want?  Anyway, having a prologue would ruin the surprise!