Author Topic: My Spidey Sense Is Tingling!  (Read 3176 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: My Spidey Sense Is Tingling!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 05:48:57 am »
Just engineer a bunch of genetically identical kids except with different numbers of fingers and then have them compete with each other.

Set to the Kirk vs. Spock fight music; I like it!

I'm inclined to support your analysis, but frankly I think I do so more out of a limitation in imagination than a scientific expertise. It's easy to judge different numbers of fingers based on the hand model we all know so well, but that kind of comparison would be clunky and, more to the point, irrelevant. Look at it like this: That human beings evolved at all is reason enough to imagine that six, four, eight, or some other number of digits wouldn't be at all surprising, given some vast number of possible worlds.

Oh, yes, that might be true. But that's for other worlds. I was assuming given the factors of our world at the present time. I mean, there's a reason we have how many we do. Of course, change the world, change the circumstances, and the number of digits can easily change to a new optimum.

Ah, but! there is not a "reason" per se. There is a reason inasmuch as there is causality in the evolution of the hand, but there is no reason that operated with intent in determining the construction thereof. To presume intent where there is only actuality is a common mistake among those who don't actually accept evolution theory, and a forgiven one here!

Actually, I like the 'dexterity' word, because I use it in the rarer adjectival form now and again (okay, three times in 170,000 words. You'll be horrified to know that I use the word 'right' over two times as often as 'left', though... 220 compared to 100. Though right is a more variable word, and appears in more senses and roots.)

I am agog! I am aghast!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 07:56:15 am »
I for one believe that V is our messiah against the marauding spider invasion.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 08:30:49 am »
I for one believe that V is our messiah against the marauding spider invasion.

I say he is the new Chosen One who will free us from the Evil Council.

How's Tonguey?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 12:00:34 pm »
Wait, hang on...what's wrong with the word Dexterity?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 01:22:26 pm »
Quote from: Lord J
Ah, but! there is not a "reason" per se. There is a reason inasmuch as there is causality in the evolution of the hand, but there is no reason that operated with intent in determining the construction thereof. To presume intent where there is only actuality is a common mistake among those who don't actually accept evolution theory, and a forgiven one here!

Actually, I'm still a bit on the fence in so far as evolution goes, so when I said 'reason', I actually did mean evolutionary causality.

Wait, hang on...what's wrong with the word Dexterity?

Comes from the Gk. dextros, meaning 'right hand.' Seeing as we use it to mean (just as the Greeks did) agile and able, it discriminates against those who are left handed, like Lord J.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 01:30:20 pm »
Oh.

Well that's a rather idiotic reason to hate the word. Sure, the original word meant right hand, but it doesn't mean that our version in our language means right hand.

But then I'm right handed, so maybe I'm biased.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 05:16:37 pm »
This whole hand and evolution discussion is reminding me of God off the Simpson's, and how he is the only one with five fingers every one else has four.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 01:41:45 am »
And sinister and left handedness has something in common too, eh Krispo?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 05:20:11 am »
And sinister and left handedness has something in common too, eh Krispo?

It's Latin for left-hand. Dexter and sinister hands: right hand and left hand.

Just the other day I read a bit about this soldier Scaeva, one of Caesar's in his war against Magnus (Pompei), who ends up fighting Magnus' whole army alone: they're throwing spears at him and shooting arrows, but can't manage to kill the guy. Finally he drops his shield because it's weighing him down, but an archer manages to shoot him in the eye. He tears out the arrow and eye, crushes it underfoot, and keeps fighting. Eventually he feigns to give in, but the first man who comes forward to take captive he strikes down, and lives until reinforcements arrive. The term is used to speak of his shield arm. Let's see...
'No fragile wall
Stands here for Caesar, blocking with its bulk
Pompeius' way to freedom. Now he trusts
His shield no more, lest his sinister hand,
Idle, gives life by shame; and on his breast
Bearing a forest of spears, though spent with toil
And worn with onset, falls up on his foe
And braves alone the wounds of all the war.'

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 05:39:11 pm »
Oh. Well that's a rather idiotic reason to hate the word.

I beg your pardon?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »

I beg your pardon?
You heard me. Word origins should not influence how a person feels about a word today, since said words will mean different things in our own society.

Sure, dexterity might have originated from a word meaning right hand, but it doesn't mean that in English and never really has. Same thing with sinister and left hand. They originated from different languages and we use them to mean different things today.

Besides, left handed or right, it's what you do with your hand that matters. "Judge not by the dominant hand but by the context of its use!"

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 09:16:18 pm »
it's what you do with your hand that matters.

To actually add, I'm personally 'partially ambidextrous' but sligthly more left-handed but have no problem with the word dexterous, just fyi.

Rat

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 04:35:46 pm »

Anyways, I don't think I've been bitten much by spiders (isn't it spiders that once they bite you their venom or whatever is in you forever and that attracts other spiders? or is that bees?), much less radioactive spiders, but I was wondering...anyone else feel like they've got some weird/stupid sense like this?

It's with bees, and not because the venom stays in you forever.
Since a bee dies if it stings you, it will mark you somehow (the poison in the sting? smell? I'm not sure how) and this will signal to other bees from the same hive that you are a danger and should be attacked. It's not permanent either.

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 10:30:47 am »
Usually, when I recieve a call, I can just guess who it is, and i'm right most of the time..   If I were to put a rough estimate on it, I'm probably right 3/4th's of the time.

I think of this nothing more than a co-incidence, because I could just be detecting patterns in Telemarketer calls, and when there's a call that breaks the pattern, its family/friends, and I still end up guessing who it is... >.<

I don't believe it to be anything more than just pure luck, because I don't believe there are such abilities in us Human Beings, we only know logic, even when were not being logical. :P

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 04:44:42 pm »
Usually, when I recieve a call, I can just guess who it is, and i'm right most of the time..   If I were to put a rough estimate on it, I'm probably right 3/4th's of the time.

I think of this nothing more than a co-incidence, because I could just be detecting patterns in Telemarketer calls, and when there's a call that breaks the pattern, its family/friends, and I still end up guessing who it is... >.<

I don't believe it to be anything more than just pure luck, because I don't believe there are such abilities in us Human Beings, we only know logic, even when were not being logical. :P

Statistically, your story is very unlikely. I suspect you are over-reporting your positive confirmations of incoming calls, or, not exclusively to that, your friends or family may call you with enough predictability that you can sometimes or often make a fair guess as to which of them is calling you.