Author Topic: My Spidey Sense Is Tingling!  (Read 3174 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
My Spidey Sense Is Tingling!
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:18:13 pm »
Okay, this could be attributed to any number of factors, honestly: I live in an attic room for one and spiders are a common occurance...But over the years I've noticed that I'll think there's a spider on the ceiling or something and then I look up and BAM! There's a spider on my ceiling...

Well, also, the other night when I went to sleep I thought *SPIDER ALERT! THERE'S A SPIDER SOMEWHERES WHERE YOU DON'T WANTS IT TO BE (which is pretty much anywheres)*...But I was too tired to hunt it down...Next day, I ruffled through my pile of clothes on my sad, lonely chair (which can't be used since it has a pile of clothes on it) and BLAMMO! there was a freakin spider crawling around in my pile of clothes...

There have also been numerous tiny spiders around (mostly they like to hang off of my tv's bunny ears)...

Anyways, I don't think I've been bitten much by spiders (isn't it spiders that once they bite you their venom or whatever is in you forever and that attracts other spiders? or is that bees?), much less radioactive spiders, but I was wondering...anyone else feel like they've got some weird/stupid sense like this?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: My Spidey Sense Is Tingling!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:59:16 pm »
I am attentive to and aware of insects.

I would eradicate them if given the chance.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »
And you'd also destroy the ecology.

People can be instinctual about many things...it comes from having a great deal of experience. I'm sure Radical Dreamer and/or Lord J can explain in much further detail.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:33:03 pm »
man, i hate spiders.
theres one in my room somewhere, and i've tried killing him 3 differant times, but i havent yet T.T

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:20 pm »
And you'd also destroy the ecology.

People can be instinctual about many things...it comes from having a great deal of experience. I'm sure Radical Dreamer and/or Lord J can explain in much further detail.

My instincts tell me that keeping crawling syringes full of poison around places where my random daily actions could cause them to think that they are being threatened is not a healthy way to live. My experiences tell me that get stung by flying thorns is not much fun at all. My knowledge of ecology tells me that killing a few bugs here and there has a negligable effect on the world at large, but yes, you really do want them to not be endangered or extinct.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:42:58 pm »
In extreme detail:

People are naturally superstitious and often make predictions based on faulty knowledge. Most of the time they're mostly wrong, yet they remember the true positives but not the false ones, compelling them to believe they have a special insight where none exists.

If you think you've got a spider radar, you almost certainly don't. What's actually happening is this:

1) You've made a handful of lucky guesses in the past and now think you're the shit;

2) You've made subconscious spider sightings out of the corner of your eye;

3) Spiders are fairly common and you fail to notice most of them, so when you actually go looking for one, you're likely to find one (or more!) and therefore conclude that you're the shit.

You're not.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 05:28:01 pm »
I really am getting tired of spiders popping up out of the blue.  I was eating one time and I went to get some milk, come back and there's a huge ass spider on my food.  Then a couple days later I'm working on something and a spider starts crawling on my head ;[.  I think yesterday I swatted a spider on the wall.  Funny thing, they only come in my room :|

Lu Su

• Guardian (+100)
  • Im an EVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 07:26:35 pm »
man, i hate spiders.
theres one in my room somewhere, and i've tried killing him 3 differant times, but i havent yet T.T
i hate all insects that dare to touch me, they die, the rest can live as long as they don't buzz in my face (also results in death)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:33 pm »
In extreme detail:

People are naturally superstitious and often make predictions based on faulty knowledge. Most of the time they're mostly wrong, yet they remember the true positives but not the false ones, compelling them to believe they have a special insight where none exists.

If you think you've got a spider radar, you almost certainly don't. What's actually happening is this:

1) You've made a handful of lucky guesses in the past and now think you're the shit;

2) You've made subconscious spider sightings out of the corner of your eye;

3) Spiders are fairly common and you fail to notice most of them, so when you actually go looking for one, you're likely to find one (or more!) and therefore conclude that you're the shit.

You're not.

OMG! You're totally right! I don't have a Spider Sense...Man, was I stupid. I have a mutated heightened luck factor, like Longshot from X-Men!

GO, DICEROLL!!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:35:10 pm by V_Translanka »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:41:47 pm »
You know what would have been really lucky? Five fingers on each hand.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:59:04 pm »
Which raises the question, given a constraint of just one thumb, what is the optimal number of fingers on each hand for an advanced, erect, world-manipulating species like ours?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 10:12:05 pm »
Which raises the question, given a constraint of just one thumb, what is the optimal number of fingers on each hand for an advanced, erect, world-manipulating species like ours?

Based on our current hand size, five is almost certianly optimal. Any more and it would either crowd the others out, or make them too skinny to perform more powerful operations; any less and it would either be a waste of area or make them too fat to perform delicate operations. Of course, with an increase in hand size (in which case you'd have to consider optimal size for this as well, relative to the rest of the body and taking into account the weight) an extra finger or two could probably be accomodated and dexterity (sorry J for the use of the word. I suppose you'd like me to say 'sinisterity' things out, eh?) would be easily learned. However, as I've said, it would mean a larger hand, which might not be that useful in the context of the entire body. I think there's probably only the chance for another figure to exist on a the current hand size... and this only if quite fortunately placed to provide optimal use. A little off (and, because it's a mutation, it likely will be) and it'll be more a bother than it's worth.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 02:52:51 am »
an extra finger or two could probably be accomodated and dexterity (sorry J for the use of the word. I suppose you'd like me to say 'sinisterity' things out, eh?) would be easily learned.

I use "agility" most of the time when that unspeakable word might be called upon for use. I would call it an imperfect solution, except the profanity it corrects is so obscene that even a horrible solution would still be praiseworthy.

I'm inclined to support your analysis, but frankly I think I do so more out of a limitation in imagination than a scientific expertise. It's easy to judge different numbers of fingers based on the hand model we all know so well, but that kind of comparison would be clunky and, more to the point, irrelevant. Look at it like this: That human beings evolved at all is reason enough to imagine that six, four, eight, or some other number of digits wouldn't be at all surprising, given some vast number of possible worlds.

Ramsus

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 02:55:43 am »
Just engineer a bunch of genetically identical kids except with different numbers of fingers and then have them compete with each other.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 04:25:24 am »
an extra finger or two could probably be accomodated and dexterity (sorry J for the use of the word. I suppose you'd like me to say 'sinisterity' things out, eh?) would be easily learned.

I use "agility" most of the time when that unspeakable word might be called upon for use. I would call it an imperfect solution, except the profanity it corrects is so obscene that even a horrible solution would still be praiseworthy.

I'm inclined to support your analysis, but frankly I think I do so more out of a limitation in imagination than a scientific expertise. It's easy to judge different numbers of fingers based on the hand model we all know so well, but that kind of comparison would be clunky and, more to the point, irrelevant. Look at it like this: That human beings evolved at all is reason enough to imagine that six, four, eight, or some other number of digits wouldn't be at all surprising, given some vast number of possible worlds.

Oh, yes, that might be true. But that's for other worlds. I was assuming given the factors of our world at the present time. I mean, there's a reason we have how many we do. Of course, change the world, change the circumstances, and the number of digits can easily change to a new optimum.

Actually, I like the 'dexterity' word, because I use it in the rarer adjectival form now and again (okay, three times in 170,000 words. You'll be horrified to know that I use the word 'right' over two times as often as 'left', though... 220 compared to 100. Though right is a more variable word, and appears in more senses and roots.) I'll say 'the dexter hand' when referring to the right. I suppose for the left it's 'the sinister hand'... and, indeed, on reading Lucan the other day, I saw the translation (which is from 1905) use it in just that way.

Oh, and Ramsus, we'll see. That sort of ability is near, so your methodology may soon be put into practise. Moral implications aside, or course.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:29:18 am by Daniel Krispin »