Author Topic: It's that time for Final Fantasy again...  (Read 4365 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: It's that time for Final Fantasy again...
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2007, 04:20:26 am »
Chocobo Hot & Cold was extrodinarily tedious, but it was worth it. SHOCK - 9999 DAMAGE!

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2007, 05:41:59 am »
So far I hate FFXII.  There is not one iota of original content in it; every single thing in the game is ripped off from either VI, Tactics, Star Wars, or current politics.  Basically, it's a very thinly veiled commentary on the Iraq War.  Now, I wouldn't mind this normally, since BSG does that quite well, but BSG has interesting characters.  FFXII is one cliche after another after another.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2007, 06:22:42 am »
Chocobo Hot & Cold was extrodinarily tedious, but it was worth it. SHOCK - 9999 DAMAGE!
it was only tedious when you had to dig a hundred or so times just to get another stone, when you were looking for stuff on the world map or just digging for normal stuff it was quite fun.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2007, 08:10:24 am »
It was a great time waster, fo' sho. But then again, I spent about half of my 96hrs total playing time doing it...God my life sucks.

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007, 11:26:56 am »
FFXII is one cliche after another after another.

Just like every FF. Coincidence? I think not.

In fact, XII's scope and emphasis is incredibly innovative, when talking about FFs. Most Japanese RPG's, actually. For the freaking first time you're not the center of the universe, Sin and Jenova are not about to fuck everything up nor does Ultimecia suddenly appear out of nowhere about to fuck the world. You are just a piece in the puzzle of a great crisis, not the Messiah who's gonna save the world's ass. Sephiroth does not kill Aeris, nor do Cloud, Tidus or Squall have a big-ass sword. No 10ft high nor 10ft long hair. OMG, the [female protagonist] doesn't wanna fuck the [male protagonist] since the first time she sees him, nor vice-versa. Oh, and thank god, no shitty voice acting.

How bad is it to be able to customize the fighting style of every one of your characters. To combine "limit breaks". To not having stupid random fights. To having characters that don't suddenly look prettier in the cutscenes. To have a different, fresh, and great-looking art-style. To have a very nicely translated script and great dialogs. To not having a game world that spins around your characters since its creation, but instead having a game that follows just a chapter in that world's history.

It is a game that steals elements from many sources, just like Star Wars. It is filled with cliches, just like most other FFs, Dragon Quest VIII, Grandia III, and what have you. Vaan, the main character, is the worst FF protagonist, IMO. I deslike Squall and Cloud as much as him, but I have to admit that he's worse than both in terms of character development and sheer personality, not to mention the lack of a practical reason for him to be involved in the whole plot.

The customizable elements are a two-edged sword, which, in this case, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It it makes the characters' fighting style potentially the same, yet gives you full control over it, making it possible for you to create completely unique characters that will suit your playing style.

All said, it is an innovative, fun and fresh Final Fantasy experience.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2007, 08:00:30 pm »
But my playing style is being able to fully control all characters at all times! Don't give me this MMO mumbo jumbo. :lol:

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2007, 08:02:11 pm »

Shot at 2007-08-07

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 08:39:25 pm »
Why is the text in that also shitty? Oh, and you forgot the cell-phone and Wonderswan remakes, I believe...

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 09:33:04 pm »
Personally, I would recommend FFX.  I really liked the game, even with Tidus' whining.  I kind of thought his whining was justified (for reasons that are spoilerish, so I won't share). 

If you don't want to play X, then I'd recommend VI.  FFVI is a great game with wonderful characters, and an exquisite plot.  You wouldn't be disappointed. 

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 09:47:56 pm »
Damn, FFXII is barely out of diapers and there are already three spinoffs for FFXIII...

You'd think they could spare a genius or two to develop worthy sequels for series like Chrono.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »
Damn, FFXII is barely out of diapers and there are already three spinoffs for FFXIII...

You'd think they could spare a genius or two to develop worthy sequels for series like Chrono.
Square-Enix is becoming more and more like Electronic Arts every day...purely about money and about making games look good rather than having decent gameplay.

Sad thing is, people still buy into it all over the place.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 10:03:20 pm »
FF9 is by far my favorite and in my opinion better than 7. the stroy did what chrono cross. you play through it then they tell you the story. but it has the best main character ever!!!

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2007, 04:55:57 am »
FF9 is by far my favorite and in my opinion better than 7. the stroy did what chrono cross. you play through it then they tell you the story. but it has the best main character ever!!!
"you play through it then they tell you the story"
they tell you the story while playing the game they don't suddenly tell you everything after beating the final boss of a game you know nothing about.
or do you mean they reveal more things about other stuff in the game you have seen previously which isn't that unique in a RPG

"the story did what chrono cross did"
not really

"but it has the best main character ever!"
zidane was cool and all but he was hardly the best main character, one of the good ones yes but not the best.

Deus Chisa

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Ph'nglui mglwnafh Yukari Mayohiga wgah'nagl fthagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 06:47:31 am »
Personally, I thought FFX had the best characterization since VI and VII.  Admittedly, some of the cast members' distinctive traits are quite annoying, but as human beings, they are believable and solid.  Well, except for the one who isn't a human being, but he's a believable and solid blue anthro tribal panther.  Plus, the CTB + Sphere Grid system allows for a lot of personal tailoring in the game play.  You want seven uber mages, you can do that.  You want five  physical powerhouses and two healers, you can do that.  You want to give no one any stat ups or learned techniques at all, or summonings, or overdrives(FFX version of limits), and still win the game...you can do that too.  Also, if you want atmosphere, you get it by the metric ton.  Zanarkand, in both forms, should do the trick quite nicely.  All in all, the only real downsides are that the voice acting is very bad, and skating down wires from moving airships is impossible.  :roll:

Its sequel, however, is pure ass and fails on so many levels.  The characters are mere shells of their former selves.  World-spanning organizations and religions are being led by hipsters.  The main threat is, for all intents and purposes, a rusty super robot.  And of course there's the so called plot line.  Full of stupidity, including trying to make the inhabitants of the FFX planet out to be

*NONSENSICAL SPOILERS*

the ancestors of the Cetra, not by reasonable plot development, but by a single slight reference and a directorial fiat via Ultimania.  This is contradicted not only by both core games, VII and X, but external plot related materials as well.

*END NONSENSICAL SPOILERS*

The only good point is the return of the job system, and guess what, they managed to break that as well, with the ultimate character jobs.  So yeah, like I said, pure ass.

FFIX is a good game.  Unlike many of the recent games, I can't point to something and say "That really sucks."  True, Necron does kinda jump out from nowhere, but that isn't so much a plot hole as you'd think.  Unfortunately, neither can I point out a particular feature and say "That rules."  The closest thing that I'd put to that is the chocobo minigame, and that's not only optional, it's basically there to lead you to the ultimate superboss of the game.

Haven't played XII, and as of right now, have no plans to.  Busy with some other stuff.  I've heard both good and bad about it, and my only real exposure to it has been videos of challenges and the like.  Of course, this has led to a slightly skewed perspective.  One in which I don't think much of S-E making a game where you can just set your characters to auto-do-this-and-that, sit back and watch the extended version of Return of the King, and then when you get back to the game you're about to land the death blow on the ultimate superboss. Superbosses should not work that way.  You should actually have to fight them.   Of course I have no trouble with setting random encounters with much lower levels than mine to auto-kersplode, it removes the annoyance of random spawning weenies.

Anyway, there's my two cents.  Do with them what you will.

~ Sophie

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2007, 12:20:34 pm »
Where is my soap box… ah there we go.  One sec while I climb up on this…

Ok look people, I have a news flash for you.  FF XII’s Gambit system?  TOTALLY OPTIONAL.  If you don’t like it, you CAN TURN IT OFF.  Set the game to wait mode and poof!  You have you’re precious ‘control’ back!  All the menu scrolling, x-button mashing fun you’ve been doing for the last twenty years.  Just never, ever, complain again that Square never does anything different, because they did and you did nothing for the following year but whine about it.

Once you do turn off the Gambit system and fight a few battles, you’ll come to realize that your melee characters will still “fight” 8 times out of ten, your casters will still cast 7 times out of ten, your healers will still be tossing that last chance Cura spell when the boss unleash that one super attack they all seem to have and brings your party an inch away from death, your buffers will still spend the first two turns casting Haste and Protect and whatever else your typical FF strategy is.  In essence, nothing would have changed.  Gambits give you the same level of control manual entry does, just faster, and I fail to see what’s wrong with that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:31:09 pm by Silvercry »