Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478461 times)

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2007, 06:12:39 pm »
We still don't have water.

Glennleo, I sympathize...my father has similar teeth issues.

Also, I managed to get myself lost on my "short" walk and ended up walking an hour and a half longer than I had intended, and this was supposed to be my day of rest from the gym. (Six days a week, then one day of rest. Repeat.)

It's not a teeth problem per se, it's just that I had my wisdom teeth out. I ought to be fine in 3-4 more days I'd think.

6 days on, and 1 off is a pretty good work out routine to stick by. How the f did you get lost walking? In the wood I take it?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2007, 06:28:27 pm »
Sort of. The homes around here are spread out, and if you've ever been on country roads, you'd know how much they twist and turn.

My problem was being a dumbass and assuming I came out onto the main road far east of where I actually came out and walking the wrong way for a couple miles before realizing my mistake. And when you're in the shape I am, having only one small bottle of water and your dog--without a leash, I might add--with you, that's not a fun mistake.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »
Ahh got ya.
Yea I could see doing that. Hell I've done it before, but usually in my car.

"Hmm, just a few more miles til I'm home. Hey wait a minute! I've been going the wrong way for a how many miles! F*%^!!!"

A simple mistake like that can easily double your distance. Ouch.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 07:13:34 pm »
Sort of. The homes around here are spread out, and if you've ever been on country roads, you'd know how much they twist and turn.

My problem was being a dumbass and assuming I came out onto the main road far east of where I actually came out and walking the wrong way for a couple miles before realizing my mistake. And when you're in the shape I am, having only one small bottle of water and your dog--without a leash, I might add--with you, that's not a fun mistake.

The solution is, clearly, a leash and a larger water bottle.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2007, 07:16:51 pm »
I have a much larger water bottle, and I've have taken it if it weren't for the fact that the WATER PUMP IS BROKEN! (Not yelling at you. And to clarify, it's one I refill all the time to use everywhere. The water bottle I took was a smaller one from a package of water bottles. )

And the leash is normally not necessary with Chester. The lack of it just got annoying in a couple of instances...instances that would have been avoided had I not dumbed.

Ramsus

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:46 pm »
Disclaimer: I'm not lecturing anyone here. As usual, my hatred of the complication of fitness as passed off by commercial businesses has led to a longer post than I intended...

The important thing is to challenge yourself. Walk for 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds, and run your maximum for 30 seconds. See how many of those you can last, and give it 200%. When your legs rest up a couple days later, do it again. The objective is to work on your lungs.

There is so much idiocy in the fitness world that it's staggering. Here's a factoid: sit-ups are utterly, completely worthless unless part of a circuit training routine, and they're only good for cardio as part of that. We all have six or eight packs. But most of us have them obscured by a layer of fat. Sit-ups will do nothing but increase the overall endurance of your abs. They won't melt away the fat, and neither will they develop the muscles so that they somehow show through. Working a part of your body does NOT remove the fat there. When you work out, your body removes fat from all over in a balanced way. That's why you don't see utter blobs with perfect, washboard abs, or overflowing pear-people with perfect, chiseled legs from walking.

Health begins with your heart and lungs, and challenging yourself with hard sprints is the quickest way to health, even if you're well over your acceptable body weight. If you have developed cardiovascular health, you can live jollily overweight and still enjoy great performance (though not your maximum, by any means). Even in that scenario, you can eliminate risk of heart disease, some forms of cancer, and other causes of death almost as much as your thinner companions who are also in good health. Studies have shown that those who sprinted even for 30 seconds as part of a walking workout of a few minutes saw greater gains in well-being than their slower peers.

Weight loss begins with long work. If you want to lose weight, it's perfectly fine for you to walk 50 miles a day. But if you do not challenge yourself (being out of breath means it's working), your cardiovascular health won't improve much. To achieve both, develop your wind until you can jog freely. At that point, you can work off weight a lot faster than those who must still walk because their bodies simply can't handle going at a faster pace. The longer you work, the more cutaneous fat is burned.

All you need are a track and two feet (and a physical to make sure you don't have some kind of heart condition before working at your maximum). Nutrisystem, elaborate plans, wonder-machines, and paid trainers are all compensatory tools for a lack of will power. If the few articles I've read lately are right, at some point in the diet world the self-will was written off as an inadequate tool and restrictive, slavish plans were imported to keep one's habits in check. To those who wish to improve only as a passing desire, these mindless methods may work. But to those capable of visualizing success, seeking it logically, and unleashing their passionate will to improve themselves, self-will and some good cross-training shoes are all one needs. I pity people who pay small fortunes for diet plans and special treatment. Protein shakes are worthless; unless you live in the third world, chances are you consume enough daily! Gatorade and other energy drinks corrode your teeth and are meant for fast, transitory performance during athletic games, not overall health and endurance. And the other steroids are all not worth the health risks involved. Some of the fault lies with the companies who appeal to their ignorance with "easy plans" or proliferate misinformation about physiology. Science alone prevails!

That reminds me... A friend of mine in college did a research paper on exercise and weight loss, and he said that according to his sources, you had to do at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise like running before your body would even start burning fat, because first you had to burn through your glucose energy and stuff. Even then, the rate you burn fat is pretty slow, so you'd want to do about 1-2 hours of continuous running, swimming, or heavy cycling to lose any real weight through exercise.

Also, I've heard that anything you eat within 3 hours of sleeping usually gets stored by the body, and that eating inconsistently (say, you skip breakfast and lunch every Friday) causes your body to do weird things and store food as fat instead of metabolizing it as usual.

So the way I understand it is if you eat healthy, with more energy food in the morning and light food near the evening, and no food at night (making sure to eat the same consistent amount on a daily basis), and you run/swim/cycle for an hour every evening, you'll lose fat pretty quickly (even a few pounds a week is pretty good when you're changing your entire lifestyle).

However, if you eat a lot of heavy food, especially protein and fat, and you cut your calorie intake by half once a week, then you do certain anaerobic exercises to muscle failure three times a week, and you avoid aerobic stuff, you'll put on weight like there's no tomorrow.

I can't test any of that though, because personally, I want to stay the way that I am, so I don't want to experiment with myself. I just want to be as fast, flexible, and strong as I can become without really changing my size or composition.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2007, 10:06:06 pm »
Well, I'll test it for you then, Ramsus, because while it sounds like more work for me than I had originally thought, it's worth trying.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 10:17:35 pm »
I didn't think it took that long. My university course and textbook stated that in the first ten seconds of working at maximum, ATP is burned away with explosive energy. For the next 1:50, glucose and sugar are burned. From there on, it's oxygen-intensive fat burning.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 10:24:24 pm »
Well, the extra exercise certainly can't hurt, right?

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2007, 10:40:07 pm »
The body acts 'weirdly' when one eats inconsistently as a survival mechanism. Again going back to early man, an inconisistent intake of food would indicate a shortage thereof. The body therefore stores more fat so that during the periods of food shortage, it can work off the fat. That's why crash dieting is a crock.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 11:21:08 pm »
Perhaps the fate of this frustration thread is a symbol of the times we live in and the values our culture espouses. Yawn...

Anybody who wants to get into whatever level of shape (including totally out of it) can figure it out easily enough. It's no big secret; it's just application. If you're training for the Olympics or recovering from a significant illness or injury, then sports training may be right for you. But for everybody else, all this talk is just that much more time wasted where you could have been out exercising or cooking up a healthy dinner.

Lame.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2007, 11:37:37 pm »
Anybody who wants to get into whatever level of shape (including totally out of it) can figure it out easily enough.

Well considering the level of obesity here in the UK and over there in the States, I'd say that's not enough. I personally find discussion like this valuable information and great motivation to get off my ass and exercise.

If you're training for the Olympics or recovering from a significant illness or injury, then sports training may be right for you. But for everybody else, all this talk is just that much more time wasted where you could have been out exercising or cooking up a healthy dinner.

Ha, I haven't ruled out the possibility of finding a strength and seeing how far it goes, but I don't plan on heading to the Olympics just yet. It's true the time spent on this particular aspect of this thread could have been spent on what it advised, but what is your point? Are you suggesting surplus exercise takes precedence over any [other] leisurely pursuits and pursuits pertaining to informing oneself about exercise? Contributing to this discussion and exercising are not mutually exclusive,

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2007, 11:55:12 pm »
Anybody who wants to get into whatever level of shape (including totally out of it) can figure it out easily enough.

You'll still find professional sports coaches making their players stretch before games (decreases muscular performance up to 5%) and athletic sages doing sit-ups. Good information needs to be proliferated.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2007, 12:04:12 am »
But how much "good information" do you see in these endless dieting discussions? There may have been a couple of quality diet-exercise posts in this particular thread, but I'm rather dismissive toward people's tireless desire yet unflagging incompetence to discuss the issue meaningfully. Bad medicine abounds, and wacko theories and sheer hearsay drown out the good information--which is simple and unassuming and, I say, easily learned...provided one is willing to accept it.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2007, 12:01:18 pm »
But how much "good information" do you see in these endless dieting discussions? There may have been a couple of quality diet-exercise posts in this particular thread, but I'm rather dismissive toward people's tireless desire yet unflagging incompetence to discuss the issue meaningfully. Bad medicine abounds, and wacko theories and sheer hearsay drown out the good information--which is simple and unassuming and, I say, easily learned...provided one is willing to accept it.

What do you mean by "these endless dieting discussions"? I assume you mean on the Compendium, which would be the only place seemingly relevant to this (Compendiumites discussing the subject). On this assumption, you kind of answer your own question: there have been a couple of good posts on the topic, therefore surely there is some beenfit from the posting, is there not? You go on to admit you're dismissive to 'people's'' desire and incompetence to discuss the issue meaningfully. Again, this seems irrelevant due to your prior admission some good information has come out of this thread and the fact the people earnestly discussing the issue here seem capable of interpreting the information presented here. Add to that that most, if not all, of the information is based on personal experiences and is presented as such and/or backed up by scientific studies and you can surely see that their is beneficial information on the issue in this thread? You conclude by saying that good information is simple, unassuming and easily learned. Therefore, surely providing the information in order for it to be learned is a valid reason to post what we have been posting?

Perhaps you were genuinely curious as to what good information we see in "these dieting discussions". Personally I see all the information that has been presented and how it can benefit others. Kyronea, Radical Dreamer and Glennleo have already acknowledged the value of the information, and Radical Dreamer helped me to clarify what I'd contributed.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding you here, correct me if I misinterpreted something (or everything!).