Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 472946 times)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6555 on: February 03, 2012, 12:29:08 am »
Z's Post

Shouldn't that be in the stuff you hate thread? Or are you frustrated by them more than you hate them, as impossible as that seems...

In other news, my art isn't good enough. Gotta step it up. I didn't get a good mark in class on Tuesday GRR!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »
I fucking hate sexist men. But even more than that, I hate otherwise normal males who deny that women are oppressed, or think that oppression is something that only happens in third world countries. I want to hurt them. I want bad things to happen to them. I want their tires slashed and their cars set on fire. I want their noses bloodied and their possessions hammered to pieces. I want them to taste oppression. I so dearly want them to taste oppression. Fucking worthless pieces of shit excuses for life.

Might I ask a reason for this hate? Personally I have no problem with ignorance unless it's willful ignorance. You can't hate a baby for not knowing the world kinda sucks, you know?

Specifically, is it people who make an uninformed claim who deserve your hate, or people who are informed yet choose to believe and even defend the statement that women are not oppressed (these are the people who can be proven wrong but "know" that they're right and to whom proof isn't good enough)?

The reason I ask is that if they are truly just ignorant, one can assume they really don't know any better. They can be directed toward better information and taught why such a claim is so wrong. If they choose to ignore the facts, then, well, yeah, fuck those people.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:48 am »
Quote from: Syna
FUCKING WRITER'S BLOCK.

FUCKING LACK OF TIME TO WRITE!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: February 04, 2012, 06:19:49 am »
FUCKING WRITER'S BLOCK.

FUCKING HAVING BOTH OF THESE PROBLEMS.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6559 on: February 04, 2012, 09:01:39 am »
FUCKING WRITER'S BLOCK.

FUCKING HAVING BOTH OF THESE PROBLEMS.
I almost never have writer's block, so I'll go with

WHEN TUSHANTIN IS LATE, TIME BETTER SLOW DOWN!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6560 on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:16 am »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #6561 on: February 05, 2012, 12:30:31 pm »
I fucking hate sexist men. But even more than that, I hate otherwise normal males who deny that women are oppressed, or think that oppression is something that only happens in third world countries. I want to hurt them. I want bad things to happen to them. I want their tires slashed and their cars set on fire. I want their noses bloodied and their possessions hammered to pieces. I want them to taste oppression. I so dearly want them to taste oppression. Fucking worthless pieces of shit excuses for life.

Women aren't oppressed.

Come at me, bro.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6562 on: February 05, 2012, 02:38:15 pm »
Spent the entire afternoon working on a shot for Polar Detective. Since my UPS has gone for repair, I made sure to save frequently. Thankfully, I separate shots into several files.

In the midst of saving, powercuts. By the time I logged back in, file corrupted. Hours worth of efforts gone down the drain.

FML. I think I'll wait till my UPS returns... Until then, I'm happy finishing my novel on my netbook. In either case, I'll now have to wait till next Sunday...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6563 on: February 05, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »

Women aren't oppressed.

Come at me, bro.

You really believe that? Well then again, your avatar and post reek of 4chan/reddit...

Also you're clearly just being confrontational for the sake of it.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #6564 on: February 06, 2012, 01:16:07 am »
You really believe that? Well then again, your avatar and post reek of 4chan/reddit...

Hi, nice to introduce myself. My name is Truthordeal. I've been on this site for about 3 years now, and back when I was active I said plenty of stupid things and argued with the admins a lot on this feminist issue. Over the course of that 3 years I began realizing that the feminists on here were right about many things that I did not realize at the time. One thing I never came to in that time was the idea that women were "oppressed," though I should probably qualify that with "In North America and Europe," as I realize that in many South American, East and South Asian and Middle Eastern countries, women are still de jure subjugated to men. Yes, I really do believe that, as I haven't been given any evidence that the word "oppression" fits the current situation of females. I do not think that it is an appropriate word to use, and while you may argue that I'm being pedantic and semantic here, I think the fact that people are so easily willing to throw that word around shows that it's not just a matter of it being a synonym. The word "oppression" notwithstanding, I'm as much devoted to the cause of feminism as most people here, and have lost a few friends because I take a serious stance on misogyny and misogynistic humor.

As for my avatar, that is a picture of the character Twilight Sparkle from the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. While I understand that this show gained popularity on 4chan, I did not hear about it there, and I never go to 4chan or reddit as I don't particularly care for those Anonymous people and reddit is just kinda...boring. And Zeality brought a post up in the Sexism thread showing some sexist tendencies there, so yeah. Also, unlike the people of 4chan and reddit I genuinely enjoy the show and often watch it with my niece. I like the bright colors and the good morals it teaches. So, I take umbrage with your implication that I have to be a part of either of those communities based on my avatar. As for the phrase "Come at me, bro," I happen to like it and make no excuses for that.

Also you're clearly just being confrontational for the sake of it.

I'm hoping you didn't take the time to read the post Zeality made, otherwise I don't see how you could say that I'm just being confrontational for the sake of it. I don't normally like confrontation and, even if I did, I have better things to do with my time than antagonize people on the Internet. I'm not being confrontational for shits and giggles, I'm being confrontational because Zeality expressed a desire to hurt people, and when Mr. Bekkler asked him to elaborate, Z seems to have ignored him. I was hoping to get some explanation on that, because the thread seems to have moved on from it, and yes, I did use a confrontational style as it seems to be the only way to get a response.

-----

Now, Compendium, in light of this situation, I have a serious question to ask: Is this community really so extremist that people don't have a problem with someone saying that they want to hurt others for not towing a certain line, or are the lot of you just ignoring his outbursts at this point? This is the second time I've seen Zeality say something on here that's perturbed me more than his usual fiery rhetoric, and I've been the only one to call him out on it both times(though Mr. Bekkler did at least ask him to elaborate this time). Are you guys really ok with what's being said here? Because I can't tolerate that sort of hate, and I don't want to have any part in a community where the general reaction to it is apathy or acceptance.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:52 am »
Tbh my eyes kind of glaze over when most people say they want [insert large group of anonymous people] to be hurt.  Because it's talk.  More importantly, I'd wager it's talk that everyone's done.  Who can honestly say that they've never expressed something like that to someone?  "Ugh, I can't stand that guy!  I wish someone would punch him in the face."  "I hate Neo-Nazis.  They deserve to have their teeth knocked out."  "I wish every rapist would have their dick cut off."  "[Insert band] sucks.  I hope the lead singer loses their voice for all of eternity."  You get the gist of it.

I sincerely doubt Z is going to go to every misogynist's house and bash their face in with a wrench.  I sincerely doubt there would be anything more than heated words if he had an encounter with someone who didn't believe that women were oppressed.  If I had reason to believe that he was a violent person and that he would literally act on what he's saying then yes, I would be concerned.

But as it stands, I'm not concerned.  I've raged about how I wish I could hurt someone.  Would I actually do it if given the chance?  Highly doubtful.

I don't pay much attention to people on the internet saying they want to hurt a group of people.  That's the internet for you.  That's what almost everyone does on the internet.  Call me extreme or apathetic or callous or whatever you want, but unless it's someone who I think will act on their claims, it doesn't phase me.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6566 on: February 06, 2012, 05:18:01 am »
Tbh my eyes kind of glaze over when most people say they want [insert large group of anonymous people] to be hurt.  Because it's talk.  More importantly, I'd wager it's talk that everyone's done.
Two things. The first being, "Becareful what you wish for." Second, the quote I posted from the book "Les Miserables". I think you'll understand what I mean there, but here's hoping you wouldn't judge me out of that understanding either.

Call me crazy, but when an annoying customer of hours crossed the limit, my boss requested me to not offer any future services to him. He went beyond "annoying" in such a way that I expressed my anger with my friend that I wanted bad things to happen to the ignorant prick. The next day, I heard the news that he met with an accident and passed away. Call it coincidence or superstition, but since then I lost my ability to desire misfortune for anyone -- even if it was just a coincidence, it brought the corruption of my temperament to light, and I worked hard to correct it from that very day. Now all I desire good things to happen to people, and even if it doesn't happen I make sure it does with my own actions.

But on that regard, I still agree with you. In the words of Blake, "I was angry at me friend; I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry at my foe; I told him not, my wrath did grow." Sometimes it's simply a good thing to vent, and Z is welcome to do so here.

Are you guys really ok with what's being said here? Because I can't tolerate that sort of hate, and I don't want to have any part in a community where the general reaction to it is apathy or acceptance.
I think I'll second Saj's stand on this. Firstly, let me ask you one thing: How did you expect Z to react to Beck's response? Do you think he'd simply come out clean, saying, "Oh, I don't really go about bashing people's faces, I'm just venting!" He posted his frustration under the assumption that it was all understood. And besides, just because the majority aren't violent doesn't mean they don't secretly wish something that extreme in wrath. And if he did wish it, even if he has no intention of soiling his hands with blood, why would he go back on his words?

One of the reasons Z may not have replied to Beck, I think, is because Beck had a point there. But in that case, even Beck admits that wilful ignorance is simply wrong, and eventually this becomes central to the point of Z's frustration with ignorance.

The reason I've never said anything to him (besides my lack of time) yet is because, while I admit I used to get quite involved into vehement arguments with Z (and that I still don't agree with some of his beliefs), I'm starting to understand the guy better. And I think even you'd agree that the fellow isn't as impulsive as he comes off on the net, but then again the Compendium is one of the few places he can safely vent. It's not that we agree with Z's, but the fact that we're aware of the situations that cause such sentiments in him. And I think even you'd agree that he's far more calculative to stay out of trouble for the sake of pursuing greater justice (otherwise, in his own words, he wouldn't be "prostituting himself for the wealthy's selfish concerns" because seriously, he hates those trolls -- and I do too).

No, mate, he's simply waiting for that one golden opportunity to make a miracle.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:13 am »
Now, Compendium, in light of this situation, I have a serious question to ask: Is this community really so extremist that people don't have a problem with someone saying that they want to hurt others for not towing a certain line, or are the lot of you just ignoring his outbursts at this point? This is the second time I've seen Zeality say something on here that's perturbed me more than his usual fiery rhetoric, and I've been the only one to call him out on it both times(though Mr. Bekkler did at least ask him to elaborate this time). Are you guys really ok with what's being said here? Because I can't tolerate that sort of hate, and I don't want to have any part in a community where the general reaction to it is apathy or acceptance.

This is his place to rant, as much as it is for anyone else. ZeaLitY is passionate about this subject too, more than most people I know. As for whether or not I accept his outrages, Mr Bekkler's statement rings true to me.
...if they are truly just ignorant, one can assume they really don't know any better. They can be directed toward better information and taught why such a claim is so wrong. If they choose to ignore the facts, then, well, yeah, fuck those people.

Would I ever go so far as harming these people? No. That would be just talk. There are probably better ways of handling them.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: February 06, 2012, 02:17:54 pm »
Are you guys really ok with what's being said here? Because I can't tolerate that sort of hate, and I don't want to have any part in a community where the general reaction to it is apathy or acceptance.

Generally, I try to ignore Z. It isn't because I don't have a problem with what he says, but it is a question of what good a response would do. There are three potential targets for such a response: Z himself, the community at large, and random passer-byes. Nothing of value would come if I were to respond and Z was my targeted audience: he's rejected censure by forumers that he's respected, how much less will he listen to me? If I were to reply with the commpendium as my targeted audience, what would I add? As you can see, no one takes him seriously (though at least in part I think this is because western society gives words too little weight). As for random passer-byes, Bekkler's comment served well enough as a compendium's rejection of uncaring violence.

There is another reason why I try to ignore these sorts of outbursts: some compendiumites that I respect, such as Faustwolf, find him to be a good fellow. To draw from Harry Potter, Z seems like Snape, with the Dumbledore's of the compendium telling me to trust him. I have faith in these Dumbledores, so I try to hold back until such a time as I can see what they see.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:20:04 pm by Thought »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6569 on: February 06, 2012, 02:39:37 pm »

Might I ask a reason for this hate? Personally I have no problem with ignorance unless it's willful ignorance. You can't hate a baby for not knowing the world kinda sucks, you know?

Specifically, is it people who make an uninformed claim who deserve your hate, or people who are informed yet choose to believe and even defend the statement that women are not oppressed (these are the people who can be proven wrong but "know" that they're right and to whom proof isn't good enough)?

The reason I ask is that if they are truly just ignorant, one can assume they really don't know any better. They can be directed toward better information and taught why such a claim is so wrong. If they choose to ignore the facts, then, well, yeah, fuck those people.

Yeah, it was sparked by a conversation a friend was having with a guy on OKCupid. This guy professed to care about women's rights, etc., but then revealed a serious ignorance of what that really meant. She prodded about some issues like reproductive rights or subtle sexism in advertising, male gaze, etc., brought up some statistics, remained cordial, etc. and ultimately, he just said something like "sorry, but it's just reality that women aren't oppressed in the US anymore" despite being fucked sideways with hard scientific data to the contrary. Stupid asshole. It's just that smug attitude; you feel like saying, "oh, you would know if they are oppressed or not, being a patriarchal piece of shit yourself."

It's this stupid disconnect responsible for my ambition to try and make something that keeps track of and hammers hard scientific data and studies about gender inequality, so that there's always an easy to find online reference somewhere. There's too many fucking anecdotes in the way of arguing most of the time. "Oh, my male friend got sexually harassed at work once!" Yeah, that's exactly the same as when a woman gets sexually harassed, sure. I'm sure your male friend also has to worry about being raped when walking alone in the city at night. For fuck's sake. There's printed material, and there are feminist 101 essays, but there needs to be a fucking nexus of feminist data that can be brought out and fucking slammed down like http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html .

To the others: oh please. I'm working 6 days a week on individual and business tax returns because in order to finance my dreams, I have to prostitute my labor. I get precious few legally-mandated paid vacation days (5 this year). God Bless 'Merica! I'm also resisting the temptation to become an unhealthy, sleepless fucker like most of working class America (i.e. get only 6-7 hours of sleep per night), so I sleep 8-9 hours each night still. I don't exactly have much free time right now. The American Dream is a conduit for duping wage slaves into working harder.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:42:12 pm by ZeaLitY »