Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 472942 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6375 on: November 20, 2011, 06:23:56 pm »
From what I've been able to find out, the "police's" side is that the protesters had blocked off the egress of some officers (not sure if the guy in the photo is one or not). The protesters were given a warning to disburse or pepper spray would be used. The time between the warning and the application of the spray was sufficient for most protesters to be able to cover their faces.

If the crowd had indeed encircled the police (evidence of which I have been able to find nowhere except in the justifications of the police themselves), and if they refused to allow the police to exit, then an application of force would be legitimate. And the specific warning steps involved seem to be rather considerate. But that it came down to this, and that using pepper spray is considered the nicest police option, is quite troubling.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #6376 on: November 20, 2011, 08:26:04 pm »
Hmm, so, I've been thinking of starting a topic for advice and discussion. As in, if someone wants advice on something going on in their life or maybe just with something they consider a personal failing then they could post that. It wouldn't be anything like "Hey, I can't math! Halp!" but more of a psychology/personality topic. In addition, maybe you don't want advice and just find something interesting and want to discuss it. For example: "I have a hard time making eye contact. Thoughts?" That sort of thing. A place to discuss facets of each others' personalities.

But maybe that's too touchy-feely or susceptible to insults?

And this is in the frustration thread because I have no idea where else to put it, which is at least mildly frustrating!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »
tushantin had a sort of "special requests" thread going for a while, but whether it takes place there or somewhere else in the General Discussion forum, that type of conversation certainly sounds like it could be interesting, and welcome by the community more likely than not.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: November 20, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »
Not gonna lie, Faustwolf's approval is enough to make me run of and start this thing. It'll be up soonish.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: November 20, 2011, 10:56:47 pm »
To follow up my own post, I was able to get a bit of information from one of the individuals sprayed. First, the police stepped over the sitting, arm-locked protesters in the first place, so the police were not trapped, and willfully put themselves in the position that they then used to justify using the spray. The "warning" seemingly traveled by protesters and onlookers more than the police, and that the use of the spray was quite extensive, with people getting covered again and again. Considering that the police themselves are claiming that pepper spray is the least violent tool that they could employ in that situation, perhaps the officers on sight felt justified, but again, if that is the least violent tool, then there is something fundamentally wrong with that organization.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: November 20, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
And now it's up.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6381 on: November 21, 2011, 01:33:05 am »
...but again, if that is the least violent tool, then there is something fundamentally wrong with that organization.
It indeed is. A hostile situation met with more hostility is not only baffling but also unethical, even if the ones in power of the situation (in this case, the police) actually are capable to justify themselves, and especially when the "hostile" ones are acting out of dire desperation.

Not only does this sprinkle more fuel in an engaging fire, but (from the perspective of the protesters) it also shows that the government or law enforcement hardly care about their welfare.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: November 21, 2011, 03:15:22 am »
I'm frustrated for many reasons, but right now my main one is Draco acting like he's on crack and me feeling too sick to chase after him.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: November 22, 2011, 01:00:18 pm »
It still has not snowed here.  It's halfway through November and it's certainly been cold enough.

Chicago what is wrong with you.  Get your act together.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6384 on: November 22, 2011, 02:25:44 pm »
It still has not snowed here.  It's halfway through November and it's certainly been cold enough.

Chicago what is wrong with you.  Get your act together.
Now here's a weird thing. An uncle of mine visited us tonight, coming recently from Mumbai for some business trip. Says it's "piping hot" there. But here? In the city right next to Mumbai? It's oh, so cold at night!  :shock:

Still, never saw snow in my life... Feels like reality is hollow. If it were to snow now, I'd go out and make a snowman.

A snowman. In the middle of the night. And resurrect it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6385 on: November 22, 2011, 09:01:44 pm »
Fuck Walking Dead's second season. It's turned into a misogynist exploitation show. It's like the writers are winking to the camera saying "ARENT WOMEN CRAZY? LOAOLLOLAOLOLZZRTORL"

Too bad everyone's hailing it as featuring gripping drama. The last fucking episode was sympathetic to the anti-choice stance, for fuck's sake. Either drop the sexism or get back to the fucking zombies, because this shit sucks.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6386 on: November 24, 2011, 08:39:36 am »
Riots in my area when I'm supposed to be working.

Hope I survive...

Fucking politicians. I despise them...

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: November 24, 2011, 02:38:47 pm »
Riots in my area when I'm supposed to be working.

Hope I survive...

Fucking politicians. I despise them...

Be safe, Tushantin.... *hugs*

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: November 24, 2011, 06:56:16 pm »
I'm pretty much homeless right now.

Amazing how quickly your world can change.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6389 on: November 24, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »
Saj, don't you have relatives there? Where do you live? I'm sure some close-by Compendiumites are willing to aid you.

Thought? Bekkler? Boo?