Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 480070 times)

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5790 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »
Honestly, it's just a wedding. It's a very fancy wedding, but it's a wedding. When my mom and dad got married, did they get this stuff? Noooooo. But it's a PRINCESS getting married, so that makes a world of difference, don't it?

It seems like it's a slap in the face to British people. "We can afford this big fancy wedding, with big fancy rings and big fancy music and big fancy food, even in these tough times. Times are tough, and big weddings don't help at all.

Also, ketchup makes me ill sometimes. I much prefer mustard.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: April 27, 2011, 10:38:28 pm »
It seems like it's a slap in the face to British people. "We can afford this big fancy wedding, with big fancy rings and big fancy music and big fancy food, even in these tough times. Times are tough, and big weddings don't help at all.

Not as long as they can gossip about it and get all excited over it.  Or at least that's the way it was while I was living there.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5792 on: April 28, 2011, 01:41:09 am »
What's all the fuss about the royal wedding hatred? You guys jelly or something, or is it just prejudice? Okay i can understand that the majority wouldn't care who these people are or why they want a huge wedding, but flaming? Aww come on! Royal or not, it's a wedding, and for some people (i.e., bride, groom, and the related) it's a "happy" moment that should be celebrated like there's no tomorrow. Call it vanity or whatever, but here's the way I respond:

" :D Congratulations! May you be blessed. Now if you don't mind, I've got stuff to do..."

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5793 on: April 28, 2011, 01:53:33 am »
There are several negative points.

• It, and the British monarchy, are a colossal waste of taxpayer money.
  • It feeds infatuated cults of personality and celebrity.
  • It breeds and reinforces the monarchy/aristocracy's unhealthy air of authority and societal superiority over other humans and castes.
  • It provides the unethical, profit-driven media of our times with more needless bullshit to air instead of relevant world news.

It can fucking get bent. It's a giant, ugly symbol of humanity's vestigial ignorance.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: April 28, 2011, 05:37:26 am »
  • It provides the unethical, profit-driven media of our times with more needless bullshit to air instead of relevant world news.

This.  Exactly.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: April 28, 2011, 10:57:13 am »
Unfortunately, if the media didn't have the royal wedding to fasten onto, it would just find something else equally trivial to replace it with--because the media itself is the problem, not the wedding. Likewise, people inclined to worship celebrities would just find someone else to fasten onto if the royal family weren't there.

As for the rest... What many Americans don't seem to grasp is that the monarch of Great Britain and her representatives throughout the British Commonwealth actually have a function: they perform the ceremonial duties of a head of state, such as greeting other heads of state, allowing the elected head of the executive branch of government to get on with the business of running the country instead of wasting time on diplomatic pageantry. In the States, you've conflated the two positions into one, but they are in fact separate responsibilities. So the money spent on maintaining the monarchy is actually a salary and expense account of sorts, not a sinecure. (The question of whether the diplomatic pageantry should be necessary is a separate one, but the fact remains that under current circumstances, it's required if a nation wants to function within the international community.)

In terms of authority, the British aristocracy is a joke (it was defanged for good when the House of Lords became an elected body) and most people living inside the Commonwealth know that. To put it another way: the members of the Queen's family have exactly as much authority of any kind as the latest manufactured pop star (and tend to handle what little they do have rather more gracefully). If you're going to be stuck with celebrities anyway (and I agree that these silly cults are a bad thing, but there seems to be no eradicating them), there are worse choices. ::shrug::

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #5796 on: April 28, 2011, 04:36:53 pm »
On the left we have the same problem, a tiny group of people who insist that Bush ordered the September 11 attacks. They're an embarrassment to honest liberals and they distract from legitimate criticism of America's worst president. I can only imagine that people on the right feel similarly about these birther dunces.

We do.

About the birthers of course. Not about the whole "Bush was the worst president" thing.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: April 29, 2011, 12:16:45 am »
Humanity can do better for its collective cultural mythology than the damn royal family :/

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5798 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:02 am »
Humanity can do better for its collective cultural mythology than the damn royal family :/
Problem is, it just isn't. That's easily the shortcomings of Humanity.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: April 29, 2011, 09:48:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure I have strep throat.  So much suck.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »

So yesterday, I come home from my weekly volunteer work, and I suddenly have constant bouts of diarrhea and stomach pain. I had trouble sleeping due to both, but then the worst part came. In the middle of the night, my digestive system shifted into reverse I emptied my stomach contents all at once.

It's official. I have food poisoning, and I still can't find a comfortable sleeping position.

:x
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:38:29 pm by GenesisOne »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: April 30, 2011, 01:45:39 pm »
Get well soon, you two!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:46 pm »
That sucks, Saj, Genesis. Hope your recovery is as swift as a mongol horde.

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: April 30, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »
I've been doing some work for my mother's boyfriend who manages a law firm, I have no experience and little interest in law as a profession but he's been letting me do grunt work for decent pay, and I'm kind of grateful.

For the past 7 hours though I've been filling a spreadsheet with raffle forms from some conference his firm was at. I'm trying my hardest to keep focused, but this is really the most monotonous, unpleasant way to spend a Saturday, oh my god. I keep thinking, "what if someone who actually went to law school had to do this?", if I had I'd really be questioning my life choices.

Can't complain though, work is work, and I shouldn't be posting here on the job. Someone be my mercy angel.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:59 pm »
Here's some mercy, Tact! Uh, maybe!

"McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications..."

It sounds as if you could be closer to accessing the heart of law practice than many who've poured thousands of dollars into learning it in classrooms, and who love law dearly. Not that that means you should go into what you would consider a soul-crushing experience just for the bucks; it's just the bittersweet tragedy of our economic reality. Good on ya for taking advantage of an employment opportunity when these are getting all too rare, anyway.