Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479905 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5520 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:04 am »
My nose piercing has been bothering me and hurting slightly for the past week, and I have no idea why.  I had it pierced the summer of 2004, and it's never given me any trouble until now.  -___-  I don't need to have a stud in it all the time--I've had it pierced long enough where it won't close up for a long time--but it's still irritating.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: January 29, 2011, 01:35:11 am »
As a Thought exercise, outside the realm of existing policy at your educational institution, wouldn't you say that a student who misinterprets either the prompt or else makes some small mistake which instantly guarantees a wrong answer, ought to be evaluated not purely on the accuracy of their answer and the rigor of their method, but on their demonstrable grasp of the concepts as well?

Don't get me wrong. I still remember what happened with the Mars Climate Orbiter. The value of rigor and right answers counts for a lot. But 73 percent? That seems overmuch.

Sorry, I had totally missed this questions. This is such a multifaceted question that I am afraid I can give no single response. It generally depends on the situation. If the assignment is to test concepts rather than knowledge, I tend to be lenient in some regard. But sometimes we just need to know if the student has gained basic knowledge, and thus these minor mistakes confound our efforts to evaluate. I might be lenient the first time, but that is it. Such mistakes undermine the very intent of the assignment.

For assignments aimed as concepts, I attempt to be forgiving with understandable mistakes (it isn't always up to me, though). First time I usually note the error but don't hold it against them. But the second time, I am less willing to be forgiving since that is starting to smack of the student not caring (I am still forgiving, but I am dubious as to if forgiveness is merited). But again? No, something is up at that point.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: January 29, 2011, 03:17:47 am »
But sometimes we just need to know if the student has gained basic knowledge, and thus these minor mistakes confound our efforts to evaluate. I might be lenient the first time, but that is it. Such mistakes undermine the very intent of the assignment.

How do you reconcile the apparent likelihood that test-taking is also a vehicle to education? How do you respond to the fact that failing a test, or otherwise bombing on an assignment, can still generate an educational effect? Do you think grading should be reformed to reflect this, or not? If so, how?

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: January 29, 2011, 04:46:05 am »
Quote from: Lord J

How do you reconcile the apparent likelihood that test-taking is also a vehicle to education? How do you respond to the fact that failing a test, or otherwise bombing on an assignment, can still generate an educational effect? Do you think grading should be reformed to reflect this, or not? If so, how?
For me, I have very mixed feelings on tests, as it takes a particular sort of student to perform well under pressure and a short time-span.  In one case last year, one of my best students had slow and borderline illegible handwriting.  It was very difficult to grade him accurately, and so I suggested that he approach disabilities services to get permission to type his exams.  I had done the same in high school, because I have very slow handwriting.  He did, and the university turned him down because they demanded a doctor's note and a fee of a couple hundred dollars.  It's tough to deal with these things sometimes...

I like the idea of having different options for how to compose the grade. I.E. having the choice of written or oral exams, or the alternative of a few essays. That can accommodate peoples different strengths while still testing their knowledge.  

If there are to be tests,  I would prefer that there be many of them, worth relatively little. I.E. bi-weekly ones,  to make sure that people are keeping up with things and that concepts / facts are sticking.  I've taken a few language classes like this (French, Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian), and it does a good job of reinforcing things.  

I'm opposed to reforming the grading system to accomodate failure though. This is what they've done in high schools in my home province: percentile grades were eliminated in 2003, replaced with letters.  'F' was not one of them; the lowest is 'S' for 'Some progress'. Likewise, the most negative comment teachers can choose from now is "Needs Improvement". The only way a student could fail is if they didn't hand in the work. Increasingly, the logic behind the schoolboard seems to be, "Johnny can't read, but he sure feels good about himself!"  

:picardno

By modifying things to avoid competition or failure,  you end up hurting the brightest students, some of whom lose interest out of boredom. Failing is no fun, to be sure. I've still got the F on my transcript from bombing Calculus in my freshman year. But it's part of life, not just in school but outside of it.  If someone doesn't like to fail, then they should try harder, not just take satisfaction in the praise they get for making the effort.

But I do think that the grading system could be given more flexibility to focus more on what knowledge kids have taken in,  rather than investing 45% of the grade on an exam that only tests one outlet for expression.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:48:50 am by Samopoznanie »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: January 29, 2011, 11:43:28 pm »
I swear to fucking God. I leave my apartment, and my roommates east all my leftover food I was saving for tomorrow.

Where the fuck did common decency go?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: January 30, 2011, 12:27:55 am »
Ex-Lax Cookies.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: January 30, 2011, 01:42:00 am »
Someone's status update::

"Reclaiming the werewolves for God. ;-)"

She's an "aspiring" author who wants to write supernatural romance with a Christian message.  Why.  WHY.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: January 30, 2011, 02:59:48 am »
Sounds like compelling literature.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: January 30, 2011, 03:11:29 am »
Not just "compelling literature." The greatest story ever told!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: January 30, 2011, 04:38:26 am »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Genius.

I am so very tempted to save that picture and post it on her wall.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: January 31, 2011, 09:58:00 pm »
My college has denied my request to graduate in May on a technicality (I took a math class out of sequence, which isn't commented on in their handbook, or fine print, or anywhere else I can find). I have met every requirement they have, and worse, I was told last semester that I would be able to graduate in May without a hitch, so long as I didn't fail anything. If they'd had their goddamn act together last semester when I asked them, point blank, if I was on track to graduate with the classes I'd registered for, I could have taken the class I "needed" and still graduated on time.

They fuck up, and I have to pay for it. Motherfuckers.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5531 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:32 am »
They fuck up, and I have to pay for it. Motherfuckers.
That's academic arrogance for you. It's quite easy for them to let the students handle the pressure than them giving a damn. I just hope the college I'm about to enter is more responsible and decent.

Did I mention that, not in just colleges but even secondary and high-schools, students are given assignments/projects each week where they're required to print several pages of pictures? Consider the fact that only 15% of the population in Maharashtra can actually afford running printers at home, and the cafes charge a bomb for it. Turns out, you gotta "pay" about 200 bucks (equivalent to two-days worth of my salary) to get a few scores every week, which isn't even important to pass the class; the students do it anyway lest the teacher gets hot on their ass, probably even due to fear of suspension.

Also, it turns out more than half of the students in their class don't even know what they're doing the project about. Kids aged 11 to 17 come to me every week and tell me, "please, sir, give me info and pictures about Leonardo da Vinci". Surprised that even kids above 15 don't know about such a great innovator, I ask, "I thought this was taught to you in school? It's in your text book, isn't it?"

What they tell me?

"I really don't know who he is. It's there in the text books, but the teacher only reads it, and all we know is that he did paintings. We're supposed to be presenting more info on this guy ourselves." <----- This isn't just from one school, by the way. Similar statements were said by a bunch of other kids from various schools and about various topics. Sometimes I really wonder what they're teaching these days anyway, and whether the so called "academic education" today is even worth it.

On another note: There's a certain soundtrack from Tsubasa Chronicles I used to be addicted to, and that certain soundtrack was played in violin. Cats loved that kind of music. But each time I see a cat, and a while later play that music (even without the cat around), a day or two later the cat's dead.

I don't know what you may call it; a placebo effect, or "Curse Musica", but whatever it is it's been killing the cats I've seen. Surprisingly, the cats aren't in danger when I don't hear it. It's a strange experience.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: February 01, 2011, 11:32:46 am »
Maybe I should have bought a snow shovel. Damn.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: February 01, 2011, 12:43:15 pm »
rushingwind, that sucks, sucks, sucks. College bureaucracies are horrendous beasts. Can you challenge it?

I'm tired of living in a city where I can't just walk around a goddamn neighborhood. I go from air-or-heat conditioned bubble to bubble; even when I just want to be outside, to go anywhere interesting or walkable, I have to drive there first. I feel my senses being dulled by the lack of nature, the surplus of screentime I do love my city and think it is underrated, but I wish it weren't full of consumerist strip mall anti-nature whoredom. I want to move to the goddamn West Coast right now but I have (wonder of wonders) a relevant job and wonderful friends and I don't want to be ungrateful for what I've got. Sigh.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: February 01, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »
Maybe I should have bought a snow shovel. Damn.

I just read your comment in the other thread pooh-poohing the thought. I have to say, this is absolutely hilarious! Especially after I watched the weather reports for this storm last night. Cheers for eating some snow crow! Make yourself a good bowl of snow ice cream.

~~~~~~~~~~
rushingwind, that sucks, sucks, sucks. College bureaucracies are horrendous beasts. Can you challenge it?

That's not true everywhere. The University of Washington, even though its old bureaucracy building is literally in the shape of an upside-down pyramid, was always helpful, straightforward, and efficient.

I want to move to the goddamn West Coast right now but I have (wonder of wonders) a relevant job and wonderful friends and I don't want to be ungrateful for what I've got. Sigh.

If I may, this is the only life you have. Once you start trying to settle into your present circumstances rather than create new ones--and I mean this on the indefinite time scale--you have fundamentally shifted your outlook on life. Is what you have now really good enough for that?