Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479644 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5505 on: January 20, 2011, 12:25:19 am »
Spanish Rice coming up. Shit.

(I work in a restaurant where we don't always have what we need for certain things that may or may not be on the menu. Today it may have been old bay or peppers, or it may not have. It also may have been both. This was an ...elegant way to say it.  :lol: )

Handing back student exams with marks of 27%.  Not sure who it's more awkward for, me or them.  :picardno
Hopefully at least one got upwards of 90% or else it's just awkward for you, and anger inducing for them. But if it's only a few that did so badly tell them to get off teh potz and teh boozes. :lol:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:27:02 am by Mr Bekkler »

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: January 20, 2011, 02:52:40 am »
Handing back student exams with marks of 27%.  Not sure who it's more awkward for, me or them.  :picardno
Hopefully at least one got upwards of 90% or else it's just awkward for you, and anger inducing for them. But if it's only a few that did so badly tell them to get off teh potz and teh boozes. :lol:
Or Teh Minecraft.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: January 20, 2011, 08:58:27 am »
Samopoznanie, are you a professor? Teacher? TA?

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5508 on: January 20, 2011, 09:39:15 am »
Not necessarily. A cliché is anything "which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning ... rendering it a stereotype." Many unoriginal ideas can become original simply by the approach an author takes.

From what I know of him, I would not consider Karasuma a Mary Sue character. For example, how does his role affect the protagonist's development? Surely the protagonist faces difficulties against Karasuma and grows as a result. The author also poses a legitimate answer as to why Karasuma is his favorite; he was not designed to be "flawless and talented" just for the fun of it, but to act as a foil for the protagonist / other characters.
Whoops! I guess I got stereotypes and cliches mixed up.  :oops:

Well that was the intention, regardless: to bring out the reactions from other characters. Think about it. The moment we begin watching School Rumble we sit and gawk at the surprisingly (or unsurprisingly; depends how you see it) unrealistic feats of this guy which puts the protagonists through interesting phases, which again in turn brings out comedy. XD That's what I'm talking about.

On a different topic,
1) I'm tasting blood. F#&$!! I may have recovered from my illness, but my cough is worse than ever.

2) Sometimes I skip classes when I don't wanna go, but other times I skip classes when I really need to go. Was ready and such though a bit late, double checked everything, my stuff and my bicycle, began riding halfway through the four miles journey and my tire busted. -.-"

3) I must admit that, though I'm neither a Justin Bieber fan nor am I a hardcore hater (I actually respect the guy), some creative discrimination is awesome to read since it's really, really funny, such as at Cracked or some witty jokes. It's also sometimes healthy community-wise. But now it's not only getting out of hand, but also getting really annoying really fast, just like the Twilight effect. Why, you say? Just received a Graphicsly Newsletter (seriously, where's the professionalism in profession?).

Check the attachment.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:20 pm »
Samopoznanie, are you a professor? Teacher? TA?
I'm a TA, but in effect the TA's (there are two of us, a little over 100  students) are the teachers for this course. We're the ones who have one-on-one contact with the students in tutorials, and we're the ones responsible for their grades. All the prof does is lecture twice a week... the only input he has as far as the marks go is if a student disputes a grade and can't resolve it with us, or if someone plagiarizes (had two cases last year). It's definitely more work than I expected given my experience as an undergrad.

I like it though.  Teaching is a lot of fun, and the good students outnumber the bad.  About half a dozen of them from last year have even stayed in touch, which is cool.  I don't like giving poor marks, but when someone gives you one sentence as an answer for an essay question, you're kind of stuck. Can't always find enough half-points to save everyone!  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:46:31 pm by Samopoznanie »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
Handing back student exams with marks of 27%.  Not sure who it's more awkward for, me or them.  :picardno

I tend not to make eye contact in those sort of situations. Cause not looking at them totally makes it better.
<.<
>.>
That being said, I think it tends to be more frustrating for the teacher. Chances are, if the student is getting that sort of grade, they're used to it and half-expect it. Though when a good student misreads the question and does something totally wrong... those really really suck.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: January 20, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »
As a Thought exercise, outside the realm of existing policy at your educational institution, wouldn't you say that a student who misinterprets either the prompt or else makes some small mistake which instantly guarantees a wrong answer, ought to be evaluated not purely on the accuracy of their answer and the rigor of their method, but on their demonstrable grasp of the concepts as well?

Don't get me wrong. I still remember what happened with the Mars Climate Orbiter. The value of rigor and right answers counts for a lot. But 73 percent? That seems overmuch.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:07 am »
I tend not to make eye contact in those sort of situations. Cause not looking at them totally makes it better.
That, and handing the exam to them face down.  :?
Chances are, if the student is getting that sort of grade, they're used to it and half-expect it.
That's the vibe I get from things, yeah.  Nobody's protested.  One of them was even genuinely thrilled that he squeezed out a 67 on the first essay.  
As a Thought exercise, outside the realm of existing policy at your educational institution, wouldn't you say that a student who misinterprets either the prompt or else makes some small mistake which instantly guarantees a wrong answer, ought to be evaluated not purely on the accuracy of their answer and the rigor of their method, but on their demonstrable grasp of the concepts as well?
Usually in that case I would do just that, yeah -- deduct a set number of points and then mark it as I would a usual essay question.  In the case of the 27% exam though (and most of the poor marks, for that matter), that simply wasn't an option... there's not much you can do when they leave answers blank, or write just a couple sentences for for a section worth 60% of the test.

It was a tough exam, with some pretty obscure (IMO irrelevant) things on it.  A lot of the time I think the university makes them overly difficult, in an effort to keep the average down and not give the impression of having any bird courses.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5513 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29:31 am »
Stomach virus. Up for most of the night, threw up 11 times. Stomach pain preceding the first two times = most physical pain I've ever felt. I'd be a terrible prisoner of war, I think; I'd give up the information at the first chance to make the pain stop.

Anyway, an hour ago, I poured a can of Coca-cola into a tall glass of crushed ice. Best coke I've ever had in my life. Ditto for the can of Pepsi classic that came after. Suffering incredible physical pain makes you appreciate simple pleasures. I'm glad I had this virus before Europe, at least.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: January 24, 2011, 01:05:06 pm »
In my experiences, cola, especially Coke, helps with stomach problems.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: January 24, 2011, 03:01:09 pm »
Eleven times has got to be some kind of record! I did green tea last time I had to pray to the porcelain god, but I'll have to try something fizzy next time.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5516 on: January 25, 2011, 03:47:17 pm »
Yeah! O_____O" Considering Shakespeare invented the word "puke", this would be the best time to make him proud by saying it each time ZeaLity breaks his own record. No offense, though. Hope you're healthy soon. Godspeed.

On another note...

http://www.hindustantimes.com/4-arrested-for-collector-s-grisly-murder/Article1-654658.aspx

A nice way to celebrate Republic Day, they say! Let the country rot, they say! Well here's what I say to all in the roots of corruption: SUCK MY D**K!!

RIP Yashwantrao... I hope his wife and kids remain strong. Few courageous men like do their duty loyally, and what do they get in return? Heh, the news does sell.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: January 26, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »
It was a toss-up between posting this here or in the amusement thread, but since this seems to be serious in its intent, it seemed most prudent to put it here. It is the Sarah Palin Battle Hymn.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:08 am »
Ugh... I've been playing the SaGa2 DS remake, and while a fun and awesome game... the Final Boss is just... ugh...

It's so bad not knowing if certain characters will act before or after it to know when to heal, and thus, sending me to a Game Over... once more...

This is worse than Star Ocean 3's, at least in there I'd knew when to efficiently heal... :x

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5519 on: January 27, 2011, 04:25:11 am »
Fly to Europe tomorrow. Can't sleep. What the fuck is new.

I hate a lack of lucidity. Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it; nothing opens way for biological instinct, fears, worries, etc. like being fucking tired.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:29:03 am by ZeaLitY »