Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478084 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5010 on: February 22, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »
That's a good lesson to learn, Bucky, even if it comes at a stiff price for you. Humans are not as resilient as refrigerators; they're not good for hitting. So don't hit unless your aim is to hurt...and there is no such thing as a domestic dispute where hurting someone is a good answer. It's too bad your sister didn't break her foot; then you both could have learned something useful.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way myself, after getting into a fight with my ex-roommate back in college about seven years ago. At least I didn't break any body parts, mine or his, but my pride certainly took a beating after I got to spend a weekend in jail for assault! It was a humbling experience, too, knowing that in four or five seconds of bad judgment I had done wrong, and that I had no excuse.

I hope you learn the right lesson from this. And I hope your hand heals fully and swiftly.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #5011 on: February 22, 2010, 11:24:42 pm »
Huh, I find it very difficult to imagine you angry.

Good luck with the recovery Bucky, I hope you find some better means to settle your dispute.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:27 am »
I'm not an angry person, which is probably why you find it hard to imagine, Zephira. I was never some brute who went around beating people up. I find that kind of manner deplorable. What happened with me is a testament to the fact that even the mild-mannered can lose their tempers. That's human nature.

The humbling thing is that anyone can experience the same. No human prudence is 100 percent effective. Everyone is going to lose their temper sometimes, if they expose themselves to the risks. It's a just a matter of when, where, and how badly. My ex-roommate and I had never liked each other; we moved in together out of financial opportunism. That was a mistake. Living with him built up a lot of stress in me. That was a recipe for trouble. The most useful choice I made as a result of fighting with him has been that, since then, I rarely keep destructive people in my life. The rare exceptions, I keep at arm's length. Avoiding the risks helps me to avoid the thing itself.

It reminds me of that old saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." In the saying, "the kitchen" is a metaphor for adversity. We all have "kitchens" in our life that threaten to overwhelm us. Some of these adversities are worthy, and worth confronting despite the risks, but some are not. Some kitchens aren't worth it. If you subscribe, as I do, to the notion that an individual's identity varies depending on what kind of "kitchen" he or she is in at the time, then it makes sense to say: Don't venture into the kitchens that bring out the worst in you. Some heat is simply not worth standing.

I'm better off than most, because, since I'm not characteristically violent or angry, I have no personality traits that needed changing. What I did do was change my surroundings--my "kitchens" of life. (And it would be entirely apt to describe my life as a series of kitchens for the preparation of everything from cake to world domination.) I lost my temper with my roommate because of three different factors that all aligned at once: I was dead tired that night, he had made the first move by provoking me, and we had been increasingly stressed out with one another ever since moving in together. Any two of those would not have been enough to make me lose my temper, but with all three I snapped. That particular kitchen was a place whose fires saw me fatigued, provoked, and stressed out. Thus, the lesson I took was to avoid putting myself into that kind of kitchen again. When I'm not in there, I'm not going to be the kind of person who loses his temper. When I am in there, all bets are off.

That's part of the process of humbleness, which is good for me. Knowing that I'm not infallible, knowing that there are places I could venture where the integrity I cultivate in myself could be so easily diminished, is a humbling, helpful lesson for anyone who seeks power (which I do). This firsthand knowledge is a big part of my motivation for encouraging you to move out of your house, Zeph, what with all the troubles that happen there. You haven't been spoiled by that place yet, but you're at risk the longer you stay there. I used to live in a broken house, and it nearly broke me. Flee that place, is my advice.

And bring your driver's instruction manual on Friday. =P

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #5013 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:31 am »
Ironic that, while reading this, there was another argument brewing in the real kitchen here. The trouble is, it's very hard to tell the jokes and teases from real arguments. This man has been known to make and follow up on threats of physical violence before, and the way he "teases" has absolutely no base in humour at all. He's a racist and sexist jerk, and I plan to move out as soon as I get my new computer (and a better job).

I shall commence searching for said book immediately! (and by immediately I mean Wednesday. Now is knitting time.)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: February 23, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »
"Femdar." Hrm, I hadn't heard that one before! I disagree with you though that attraction is a learned behavior that can simply be turned off.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me (or I misrepresented my position). It isn't that attraction is a learned behavior (though I would argue that much of what we find attractive is learned); rather, it is the constant scanning and evaluating of individuals of the preferred sex based on their level of attraction. It is the constant asking of the question "is that girl the Elita One to my Optimus Prime" that is harmful and learned.

To offer an analogy; say you are looking for someone with a gun. To find the gun you frisk every person you see. You will eventually find the gun, but you'll have ignored all those people. If you aren't actively and constantly looking for someone with a gun, you are free to pay attention to the people. And hey, you might find the person with the gun anywho.

Femdar is the constant scanning and cataloging of women, by men, based on their attractiveness that I am objecting to and claiming is learned. To notice that someone is attractive is different than to actively perceive and evaluate them based on that criterion alone. If men are always prowling for a mate, then they'll always treat women as the prey.

But as you said, it seems like we are in sync on this (you can be Lance Bass).

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: February 23, 2010, 04:20:59 pm »
To offer an analogy; say you are looking for someone with a gun. To find the gun you frisk every person you see. You will eventually find the gun, but you'll have ignored all those people. If you aren't actively and constantly looking for someone with a gun, you are free to pay attention to the people.
Thought, this is a wonderful analogy, and strikes at the heart of why this issue is so important for people to dissect and discuss. It's not the sexual attraction that's the problem, but rather the throwing away of the other person once one realizes said attraction won't play out to a certain conclusion. Every social interaction is an opportunity for enrichment, and when we overlook people in the way you've identified, we're robbing ourselves of that.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5016 on: February 23, 2010, 08:03:57 pm »
I feel like we've entered the Twilight Zone section of the frustration thread...AND I LIKE IT~!! *dun dun dun* (wait, that's not Twilight Zone...!)

idk about all that attractiveness by learned association...I never saw Optimus Prime as a dude, per se. He was always a soldier to me and I figured robots just built new robots to 'procreate' *shrugs*. And I don't think there were even female Autobots until the movie came out (with all those lame new robots: i.e. Hot Rod). I think too much of it is simply nature, preservation of the species. We judge each other like art in a way...contours, design structure, symmetry...or maybe not because a lot of things do end up influencing your stupid human brain...er, our...what matter? Gray matter?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:29 pm »
I want caffè e latte, but, alas, I have no latte.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: February 23, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »
yeah, i try not to be too violent, but she kicked me where it hurts. and then laughed about it.
i have learned my lesson: refrigerators are very wise and noble creatures, keeping our food safe and fresh while silently making sure we know where it is. it knows when to turn the light on and off. it makes a gentle humming. and its body is of STEEL.
oh, and probably something about not attacking my sister even when she kicks me in the balls over mayonaise.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:57 pm »
oh, and probably something about not attacking my sister even when she kicks me in the balls over mayonaise.
I know I shouldn't laugh at another guy's man-pain, but this phrase did make me laugh.  :lol:

I haven't been kicked there in awhile, thankfully.  My ex-girlfriend did whack my head against a tile floor once, giving me a scar above my left eye.  I think I'd take that over a kick though. At least I can lie about the scar and say I got it in a bar fight!

Frustration...?  Still the insomnia, really.  Tell you one thing, I'll be super-frustrated if Canada doesn't win the hockey match against Russia tonight.  Especially if Mike Babcock has the ill-sense to start Brodeur!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »
All of my friends either live off-campus or are studyaholic perfectionists.  I've been banished from a friend's dorm while he's doing homework because I'm "too interesting / distracting."  Boo!  I can't even study / do homework with him, he still says I'm too distracting because he just wants to talk instead.  -______-  I had this same problem with D before he graduated.  I need more slacker friends who live within a one mile radius.

/slacks off on French homework

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #5021 on: February 24, 2010, 10:28:43 pm »
Your slacker friends are all on the internet! We could distract you!

Frustration: The schooling history section of job applications is stupid. It only asks for what diplomas you have. I don't have any degrees or diplomas, but I'm almost graduated from high school and college.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: February 25, 2010, 05:51:47 am »
One of the worser euphemisms in our country today is "right to work." Yecch. I'm glad I don't live under such a backward law.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:46 am »
Alas, the word "right" if far overused, underappreciated, and often misused. It seems to be considered synonymous with "freedom" though the two are quite different.

Or perhaps a new word should be adopted, so as to not disenfranchise our sinistralian brethren?

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: February 25, 2010, 02:07:36 pm »
All of my friends either live off-campus or are studyaholic perfectionists.  I've been banished from a friend's dorm while he's doing homework because I'm "too interesting / distracting."  Boo!  I can't even study / do homework with him, he still says I'm too distracting because he just wants to talk instead.  -______-  I had this same problem with D before he graduated.  I need more slacker friends who live within a one mile radius.

/slacks off on French homework

Get a motorcycle.