Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479927 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4830 on: January 07, 2010, 03:58:51 pm »
Sweet shots!  I am a bit north of San Pedro.  And J, I might need some of that softness for my sanity on these freeways.  Due to a love interest not exactly working out I call Santa Monica the root of all evil, but then I realized it really IS the root of all evil because if I'm over there at any point after 2pm it's gonna take me over an hour to get back home.  The area is ok I s'pose.  The 10 and the 405 hate me, the 170 is uuuuugly but I'm on it a lot, the 101 is rough too.  I do enjoy the 110, shitty as it is.  I'll be stuck in traffic moping away with longing eyes at the ol' Staples Center...wishing to be at a hoops game...or pretty much anywhere other than traffic.

I haven't spent much time on the 710, but I'll vouch that the 210 has some scenic spots to it.  And I defenitely agree on getting to a lane and just staying there.  And instead of taking the 405 millions of hours north sometimes I like to just plod through Sepulveda, which has its moments....south of the 101 at least.  Traffic sucks.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4831 on: January 07, 2010, 07:20:34 pm »
I find it odd that you moved from LA to Seattle, and complain about the merging back in LA. Do you not drive up here?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:15 pm »
Merging can be tough here too, but I'm rarely in a position where I need to do serious merging in a short distance. And the drivers here won't shoot you for merging in front of them.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: January 07, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »
Ahh. Nothing like watching an episode of Law & Order SVU to remind you what kind of fucking filth humanity can be. Do the creaters actually think these shows might somehow stop all the freaks out there? No. It's just fucking exploitation. Nobody cares about awareness, they just want cheap 'entertainment'.

Pisses me off so much.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: January 07, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »
L&O:SVU is one of the most unrealistic shows I've ever had the misfortune of viewing.  Policemen and detectives and even people who perform fucking rape kits don't act like that in the real world.  Or if they do, I've never met or heard of one.

Although I've never heard anything about SVU or someone working on the show stating that it somehow prevents sexual violence.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:46:22 pm by Sajainta »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: January 08, 2010, 04:48:36 am »
Watch The Wire!!!!!!  Get through the first 3 episodes and you'll never watch Law and Order again!!!!!!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4836 on: January 08, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »
Merging can be tough here too, but I'm rarely in a position where I need to do serious merging in a short distance. And the drivers here won't shoot you for merging in front of them.

520 West to I-5 South, City Center Exit.

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:51 pm »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4838 on: January 09, 2010, 02:02:33 pm »
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/buddhist_monks_freak_out_over_female_ordination

Real Buddhism (not western cherrypicking new age spiritualism) is rigid, dogmatic, and sexist! Who knew? For centuries, Buddhists have kept women out of the clergy and reinforced sexism via the social order, and now, an ordained female monk is causing a big fucking noise. Fucking anti-spiral self-hating jackass Buddhists. Abrahamic clergy always claim some kind of authority and prestige, but even more insidious is this idea in the West that Buddhist monks and practitioners are enlightened, special thinkers and gentle, non-violent paragons and saints of humanity, and it's all because they gave up on getting the things they want in life and decided to sit around meditating and starving. What a giant waste of potential and life.

Fuck all religion, superstition, and supernatural faith. Die the motherfucking death.

Edit: The comment at that article is fucking glorious:

What? Patriarchy in a Buddhist culture? But but...I thought Buddhist countries were havens of peace, tolerance, equality, veganism, and all the things good and pure. What next? Will we learn that Buddhist cultures have been historically just as socially harsh as European ones? That they too have waged bloody wars in the name of ideologies?  I guess I can't rely on the self-help industry to teach me about human history, religion and culture anymore :(  Now where do I turn? Can I ever do yoga again? Will I ever be able to consume processed Buddhism again without my modern western sensitivities remembering this offense?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:09:38 pm by ZeaLitY »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: January 09, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »
I've almost run out of food.  I have one frozen pot pie left and then I'm out.  ><  I usually accompany my roommate (who has a car) to the grocery store, but apparently she's fallen off the face of the earth.  I got back to school early Wednesday morning and I haven't seen her at all.

Also, my suitemates keep leaving the door to the balcony in the main room open and then LEAVING the entire dorm with it open.  What the hell?!  Why do you need to crack the door open when it's 13 degrees outside?  So now the entire suite is freezing.  I can't even go to the fridge to get a drink of water without shivering.  Ugh.  I like being cold a lot more than being hot, but I don't want the door open when it's 13 degrees outside.  I'd also never leave the fucking dorm with it open.  Idiots.  :x

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: January 09, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
Ah, yes. The famous college student food budget. What kinds of food do you eat on the cheap? Heh. And how does that compare to what you would eat if money were no object?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: January 09, 2010, 10:09:54 pm »
Ah, yes. The famous college student food budget. What kinds of food do you eat on the cheap? Heh. And how does that compare to what you would eat if money were no object?

Well, I can't cook.  :oops:  I usually eat cereal, microwavable dishes, a lot of rice that I make in my rice cooker (I eat my rice plain, usually), peanut butter and honey sandwiches, English muffins, fruit, and lots of soup.  None of those things are all that expensive.

If money were no object I would buy a car so that I wouldn't have to walk to the grocery store (which is a mile away)!  :P  But in all seriousness, I don't think my eating habits would change all that drastically if I had more money.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:22 am »

Z, whenever people here engage in a coffee-table conversation over religion and try to put it in a positive light, you always manage to bring up some random article that puts religion in a bad light in order to put things back on track, because hey!  We can't allow a divine foot in the proverbial door of lifetime beliefs (i.e. personal providence).

You say that religion has been and still is ruining the society you live in, and you spend what seems to be every day of your life pondering on ways to rid the world of it. You assert that religion is childish yet you suggest instead that we resort to atheism as we are all atheists during our childhood years.

It's sort of like you're saying, "I can't tolerate religion because religion is intolerant. And no type of intolerance should be tolerated."

I won't get much more into it now, but I'll be happy to discuss more in, say, a new thread?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4843 on: January 10, 2010, 01:26:19 am »
try to put it in a positive light

What reason is there to glorify ignorance? Humor or satire, maybe, but that's not positive in the way you're imagining.

manage to bring up some random article

I wasn't lying. Sexism in Buddhism and religion at large isn't "random". Can you grasp the randomness of a Buddhist "spiritual director" being rebuked for ordaining two women? That's not chance—it's indicative of deeply misogynist practitioners of Buddhism and sexist attitudes and traditions.

Here's another "random" article that came out today about religion oppressing women: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/opinion/10kristof.html

That's two in a single day! Coincidence? Or maybe religion actually oppresses women, including Buddhism?

You say that religion has been and still is ruining the society you live in, and you spend what seems to be every day of your life pondering on ways to rid the world of it. You assert that religion is childish yet you suggest instead that we resort to atheism as we are all atheists during our childhood years.

It's sort of like you're saying, "I can't tolerate religion because religion is intolerant. And no type of intolerance should be tolerated."

There are many differences that should be tolerated and celebrated. There are differences of language, taste in art, cuisine, skin and eye color, and many other things under the sun. But religion is a form of ignorance, and ignorance cannot be tolerated in civilization. Schools correct children who cannot do math. Who will correct adults who cannot grasp reality or acknowledge the deleterious effects of irrational belief?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:28:51 am by ZeaLitY »

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: January 10, 2010, 01:36:54 am »
Current frustration: School break

We get three weeks off at my school. That's a whole week longer than any other school in the district. The problem is that the brake is STILL going on and it's taking forever to end. What sucks more is that all the friends I would hang out with are back in school and the others I only ever see during school or at school functions. I'm basically stuck in a rut, waiting to get back out. Boy, do I hate waiting. It pisses me off to have to wait.