Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478086 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4710 on: December 09, 2009, 04:30:04 pm »
And now for something completely different.

I get frustrated that the meaning of a word may or may not agree with the word’s (or word-component’s) etymological roots.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4711 on: December 09, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »
As I currently don't have the state of mind to defend my position, please refer to the Holiday Lectures on Science from 2004 http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/obesity/index.html, and the movies King Corn and Supersize Me. There are probably others whose titles I can't remember.
Fat can be a good thing, and is something I certainly wish I had more of, but I can't fathom how someone could eat themselves to the point that they have to have their legs amputated because of diabetes.

And on the topic of food, this is the first year I can remember being afraid that I won't survive the winter. I've complained enough about the actions of the people living here before, but now they've been allowed to take over the shopping list and menu. There is absolutely nothing on there that is beneficial to me, there are many things I've been told to avoid, and I got in trouble for trying to make additions. They will kill me if this keeps up for much longer.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: December 09, 2009, 05:31:59 pm »
Aw, fat mice! So cute.

But more seriously:

... I can't fathom how someone could eat themselves to the point that they have to have their legs amputated because of diabetes.

There is a good reason why you can't fathom it; such behavior, at least in some cases, is outside the normal functioning of the human brain. Allow me to elucidate what, exactly, I mean.

Adipose tissue produces a hormone called leptin. Leptin controls food intake (both immediate food intake, as in a single meal, and long term calorie consumption). The more leptin you have (generally because the more fat you have), the less you should eat. Except, just like with diabetes, one can be leptin insensitive. Someone who weighs 300 lb might get the chemical signals that they are, effectively, weighing 100 lb or less. Essentially, their bodies are demanding food like a starving person.

However, the effects of leptin insensitivity do not stop there. Individuals who are leptin insensitive also seem to perceive food at a fundamentally different level than other people. Your brain activity will be different between viewing broccoli and viewing ice-cream (ice-cream gets your brain going far better than broccoli... at least for most people). Your reaction will also change depending on if you have just eaten or not. So imagine that you are really hungry and you see a really tasty dish. The feeling of desire that you get in that moment, some leptin insensitive individuals feel all the time, for all foods, regardless of if they just ate.

These are interactions within the brain that the individual has no control over. Can one resist them? Part of the time, sure, but again, this is like telling someone who is bipolar to control it. They might be able to reign themselves in occasionally, but not always. They wouldn't call medicine medicine if it wasn't needed.

Keep in mind, the above is just two potential interactions of a single hormone that can cause or be caused by obesity (like diabetes, leptin insensitivity seems to be the result of both environmental and genetic causes). Science has just been scratching the surface of weight regulation; there are far more potential causes of obesity than just leptin insensitivity. There are far more potential causes of obesity than just what has been identified by science.

Are some people fat just because they are lazy or willfully overindulge? Sure. Some people are thin despite being lazy and willfully overindulging. But not everyone is this way.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4713 on: December 09, 2009, 05:52:16 pm »
Leptin is one of the main points of those HHMI lectures. Thing is, in 2004, they were developing medication for that insensitivity. The power of chemicals in the brain over willpower was another point addressed. That is why these people should seek help, or have someone around to monitor their nutritional needs for them. There is a huge difference between thinking you're starving, and starving for real. I tend to have little patience for people who say they're starving, but have enough body fat to sustain them for a month.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4714 on: December 09, 2009, 06:04:12 pm »
One doesn't have to be overweight to have diabetes, either. If I let myself satisfy my real desires, I could down 2 liters of soda a day and still want more while retaining a normal body weight. If I didn't regulate myself, I'd almost assuredly have Type 2 in the future.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: December 10, 2009, 09:39:48 am »
Came down with a cold, and now I can't sleep. Damn...I'm kind of concerned about Friday, because I may have to drive into the heart of Dallas. The black, frenetic heart of Dallas. I honestly had a few nightmares about trying to drive into Dallas when I was only six years old, so now it's like some kind of prophetic doom. I fucking hate ridiculous, congested transit systems like this. Bring me Europe's subway stations, please.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: December 10, 2009, 11:38:09 am »
To be fair, you probably don't want Dallas attempting to implement a subway system either. They can't get normal roads right, even without the heavy traffic. But can you imagine them trying to actually plan an entire traffic system that would be underground?! M.C. Escher would be confused by what they'd put together.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: December 10, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
Yeah. It just ain't right. I'm hoping the person I've decided to carpool with was telling the truth about his experience.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: December 10, 2009, 12:09:26 pm »
Fat can be a good thing, and is something I certainly wish I had more of, but I can't fathom how someone could eat themselves to the point that they have to have their legs amputated because of diabetes.

In the context of your wider aversion to obesity in general, invoking an argument like this is fallacious. What you're trying to say, I gather, is that losing limbs is a bad thing and fat people are foolish for risking it. The assumption of losing limbs being a bad thing is pretty uncontroversial, since limbs are crucial for most people's practical lives, preferred lifestyle, and material ambitions. But the assumption that fat people are foolish for risking the loss of their limbs is faulty in the following ways:

First of all, most fat people never lose their legs, or even one leg. I couldn't easily find a reliable statistic as to how many diabetic amputees there are in the country, but the number is orders of magnitude below the number of fat people in America. Thus, the risk that you have implied is exceedingly low. The vast majority of fat people have both of their legs, and the vast majority of those will always have them.

Second of all, limb loss due to diabetes is not directly the result of being fat. Indeed, there are plenty of diabetics who aren't fat at all. Limb loss is the direct result of either poor diabetes management or severe medical complications resulting from diabetes. Being fat may elevate someone into a position of risk--and I say "may" because the evidence in support of the claim that obesity itself directly causes diabetes is surprisingly low--but whether that risk ever produces an actuality is much more dependent on people's dietary and exercise habits than on their waistlines.

Third of all, as I mentioned, obesity--or, more precisely, adipose tissue itself--is not actually known definitively to be a cause of diabetes. You will find this to be true of almost every disease for which obesity is blamed. The correlations are irrefutable, but actual causation is still a question mark. "Obesity is bad" has become a modern religion: People believe it with all their hearts, but they've got no ground to stand on. Thought and I had a disagreement about this recently. His position was that we should infer causation because there is also no evidence to explicitly discount the possibility that fat itself causes these diseases, and the circumstantial evidence all points in favor of it. My position was that this may have some practical value inasmuch as being thinner (on the fear of health problems) would bring down one's health risks, but I went on to say that inexplicable solutions--even when they work--are not helpful from medical, intellectual, and in this case cultural standpoints. We are operating out of ignorance here. We've made body fat the villain, but I think body fat has been framed. The reason I think this is because we have gone to such incredible lengths to prove our suspicions that fatness causes all of these diseases, and have still yielded very little proof that this is actually the case. We've dug ourselves deeper and deeper into this mindset that obesity is the root of all evil. If we were right, we should have more to show for it by now. That we don't suggests to me that the mindset is wrong or at best incomplete. This is not semantics: If fatness itself is not so bad after all, then something else causes the diseases which correlate with fatness. That's a very important possibility for a species that loves to eat and stands little to lose from the shape and encumbrances of fat. (In other words, most people's practical lives, preferred lifestyle, and material ambitions are independent of how fat they are. For instance, as a writer I could weigh almost anything and still be able to pursue my ambition. When obesity is not inherently unhealthy, only people whose lives, tastes, or ambitions require exceptional athleticism cannot afford to be obese. Such people are a small minority.)

Fourth of all, it is a mistake to assume that people who get fat are doing so to be self-destructive. When you wrote that you "can't fathom how someone could eat themselves to the point that they have to have their legs amputated," you made an insinuation of deliberate intent. Effectively, you accused fat people of saying to themselves "I'm going to get so fat that I lose my legs. Nom nom nom!" That's not how people think. Well, admittedly, some folks do use obesity as an expression of self-destructiveness. However, I would zealously point out that this is true only because of the social stigma on being fat and the popular misconception that being fat will kill you, rather than because of any inherent property of fatness. In general, most people get fat simply because they like to eat and have food to spare. How much would you weigh if your family members weren't starving you? How much would I weigh if I could afford to buy whatever I wanted, all the time? How much would ZeaLitY weigh if he weren't hellbent on rocking the casbah with his muscles and stamina? A few people even get fat because they explicitly like being fat--and it is a testament to the power of human preference that such people would exist at all in a culture that treats fat people so horribly. Put it all into perspective, and you can see that folks usually have all kinds of reasons for getting fat, and only a few of these reasons are self-destructive. The premise that any act in the furtherance of obesity is self-destructive is but a credo of the religion of fat-bashing. It isn't true. On the contrary, it is quite easy to explain such acts without concluding that the person in question is trying to destroy themselves.

Fifth of all, and lastly, you are mistaken to insinuate that there is no value in acting outside the interests of one's long-term health. Your assumption--not mine, but yours--is that being fat is unhealthy. Going on that assumption, we get the insinuation I just described: People should not do anything to make themselves unhealthy or less long-lived. That's not a premise that I support. For that matter, it's not a premise that many people support. Health and even life take a second seat to the pursuit of one's ambitions. Right now, Sir Richard Branson is building a spaceship that might kill everybody onboard when it launches. But folks are still lining up, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in pocket, for tickets on the first flights. Why? They could greatly improve their odds of long life by staying firmly on the ground. And what about health? A friend of mine plays college basketball. He's stupendously fit, but the things he does to his body in the course of training and play are also incredibly hard on the skeleton and joints. Athletes face tremendous health problems later in life related to mobility. That's also true of anyone who does a lot of heavy lifting or high-impact exercise, from construction workers to soldiers. Do the risks of future health problems make it foolish for these people to be doing what they're doing? Perhaps you would argue that getting fat is not exactly equivalent to skiing or building a tower or defending the nation or seeing the curve of the Earth with your own eyes. Perhaps you would argue that these things merit the risk. Well, it's true that getting fat is certainly a lot easier than any of these other things. But would it be less valuable or less meaningful to the point that risks are not justified? That's a matter of personal preference. I would say again, that's a matter of personal preference. Maybe in your case, given your preferences, you would never pursue such a course yourself. Maybe you would consider people who do pursue that course to be foolish. That's your prerogative, but where would it come from, and how justified would you be in holding it? Is obesity a destroyer, like religion? Is it a menace, like addiction? Is it a danger, like pollution? I just don't see a good argument for inherently holding obesity in contempt.

I suppose it would be helpful to distinguish between people who explicitly don't want to be fat, and everyone else. For those who don't want to be fat, it would obviously be a source of stress and a mark of failure for them to be fat. Perhaps it would make sense to hold these people in a different regard than we hold those who don't mind being fat or who enjoy it. We could immediately write the second group of people off as irrelevant to our discussion. Then we could contemplate with greater clarity the question of fat people who don't want to be fat.

What should we make of them? I'll tell you what I make of them: I sympathize with them. I know how hard it can be to have an ambition firmly in sight but to face such difficulty in achieving it. That's not foolishness or laziness or pettiness. It's just a part of life. Not all things come easily. Weight loss is one of them. The human body doesn't like to lose weight. We evolved to gain weight and hold onto it. We evolved to love food--especially fat and sugar. We even evolved to appreciate fatness in the human form. That's something that our culture presently lives in denial of, but it's no coincidence that male fat tends to exaggerate the male figure while female fat tends to exaggerate the female figure.

Quote from: Zephira
That is why these people should seek help, or have someone around to monitor their nutritional needs for them. There is a huge difference between thinking you're starving, and starving for real. I tend to have little patience for people who say they're starving, but have enough body fat to sustain them for a month.

You're confusing hunger, starvation, and caloric needs. People get hungry regardless of how thin or fat they are. Going without food for a month (or subsisting on a tiny diet) would be as difficult for a fat person as it would for you. In fact it would be harder for the fat person, because for them the diet would be more extreme: The human body needs a certain amount of calories to maintain its weight, and this need goes up as the human body itself grows in size. If you can maintain weight on 1000 calories a day, and a fat person can maintain weight on 3000 a day, a 600-calorie diet would be much more extreme for them than for you. Additionally, fat people usually have enlarged stomachs that require more food to reach a state of fullness.

However, even though it's not an entirely fair comparison, it's worth contemplating anyway just to appreciate the hardship of enduring hunger. When somebody's hungry, that's a bad thing. You know how tough hunger is. Now, as a part of weight loss, some hunger may be unavoidable, but to get to the point where you feel justified in having no patience for someone who is hungry on the grounds that they are fat, you would first have to pass the judgment that they need to lose weight. That's a judgment you would likely be out of bounds to make. People should each as much as they want to eat in accordance with their personal goals.

And on the topic of food, this is the first year I can remember being afraid that I won't survive the winter. I've complained enough about the actions of the people living here before, but now they've been allowed to take over the shopping list and menu. There is absolutely nothing on there that is beneficial to me, there are many things I've been told to avoid, and I got in trouble for trying to make additions. They will kill me if this keeps up for much longer.

=(

I think I can understand, though, why you might be feeling some extra enmity toward fat people right now. You're thin and apparently you're hungry much of the time. It'd be easy to look at a fat person and see comfort and ease, and to hold that against them. I guarantee you, however, Zephira, that, in this culture, a fat person's life is never one of purely comfort and ease. Fat people have to put up with all kinds of discrimination. Life can be very hard when you're a member of an oppressed class. Don't feel too resentful.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: December 10, 2009, 12:41:53 pm »
The Senate continues its healthcare debate today:

...they'll also have to pass a resolution waiving the rule against considering a rule on the same day it was reported out by the Rules Committee.

That's hilarious. It's also frightening. Nations decay as governments evolve from suppleness to rigidity. Our government operates with great deference to precedent, and has achieved great success by it, but there is something to be said for adaptability. That apotheotic union between human judgment and institutional memory remains the ultimate grail of political sustainability.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: December 10, 2009, 03:22:22 pm »
Third of all, as I mentioned, obesity--or, more precisely, adipose tissue itself--is not actually known definitively to be a cause of diabetes. You will find this to be true of almost every disease for which obesity is blamed.

"Overweight" and "Obese" people also tend to live longer than their "Skinny" counterparts.  Also known as the "Obesity Paradox".  I'm sure you know but I didn't see it mentioned.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4721 on: December 10, 2009, 07:40:35 pm »
"Overweight" and "Obese" people also tend to live longer than their "Skinny" counterparts.  Also known as the "Obesity Paradox".  I'm sure you know but I didn't see it mentioned.
That also depends on the diet. If they're obese, but eating healthy and keeping up with their nutritional needs, they'll live longer than a skinny person with a poor diet. A healthy fat person will also have better survival rates in most diseases than an underweight person. If some 300 pound person got pneumonia and was unable to eat for however long, they'd still be able to get energy and protein from their stored fat, and live. They'd lose a lot of weight in the process, but it would be easily regained. However, if that happened to me, I'd be dead. Underweight people have no stored fat to borrow energy from, so their vital organs and immune system would shut down. If they do survive, it'd be much harder for them to recover.

Perhaps it's not the fat itself that's doing the damage, rather the stuff people eat that make them that fat, and the lack of exercise. The main American diet currently consists of fatty and nutrient-poor foods. It's the foods that make people sick, and increased weight gain generally comes with those foods, so people blame the fat instead of the lifestyle. If they're fat and don't want to be, but can't help it because of the food available, then sure, they should be sympathized with and assisted. But I still feel fair in judging that if they're too obese to walk or fit into an elevator, they should cut back at least a little.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: December 10, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »
Sounds like propaganda from the elevator industry. =P

In all seriousness, I'm grateful to you for your tentative open-mindedness. I'm still wary, though, that you are making room in your tent of acceptance for moderately fat people by specifically excluding very fat people. What you're doing is essentially preserving your central anti-fat sentiment at the expense of cutting off some of the people to whom you would apply that sentiment. That's great for the people who are no longer in your crosshairs of disgust, but it's no help at all for the ones who don't pass muster. In fact, those people become even more isolated and vulnerable. This is actually a big problem in all areas of prejudice, including fat-bashing.

Super-obesity is not something that most people choose for themselves. There are a few who feel neutral about it and a few who enjoy it, but most are uncomfortable with that degree of fatness. (I should note that this ratio is skewed somewhat because our society gives fat people such a hard time, rather than accepting them. For an obese person, harassment and abuse are far more of a battle than physical limitations due to being fat.) These people, who are very fat and wish they weren't, probably would do well to "cut back at least a little," as you say. But that's still their choice to make...and you might ask yourself whether and how your intervention might help them to make it. Criticizing them unconstructively is not going to do any good. Do you honestly think that a fat person has never been told before "Hey, go on a diet!"? Fat people endure obscene criticism. They usually stay fat. What does that tell you? It tells me that the criticism doesn't work. But what's worse is that this criticism often becomes a vehicle of self-satisfaction for the critic, and an instrument of torture for the victim. That's no good at all.

Additionally, the hallmark of prejudice is when one pre-judges a person, drawing conclusions they have not directly supported, on the basis of other factors. When you meet a very fat person, you don't really know why they're fat, what their personal attitude is on being fat, and what they're doing, if anything, to rectify being fat. You would do good for yourself to put these pre-judgments out of your mind entirely, and focus more constructive thoughts.

I'm not trying to get you to say that fat people are wonderful and superior and magnificent. So, don't draw that conclusion from any of this. But I would hope that you give some deeper thought to the matter of your attitude against fat people.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: December 11, 2009, 06:27:17 am »
Flat-out cannot sleep this week.

Edit: Also, fuck R.E.M. I'm fine and happy listening to 80s radio when suddenly, this...this drawled, mediocre shit comes out of my headphones. Ugh.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:55:29 am by ZeaLitY »

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4724 on: December 11, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »
So I'm in the comic book store, and as I'm paying the cashier, the guy starts spoiling the story for me. Now I want to tell him to stop, cause I want to find out the story for myself of course.
The thing is that the guy has a lazy eye, and I'm afraid that if I say something that he'll take it the wrong way.
Luckily he didn't spoil the whole comic for me, but it still is one of those things that I find frustrating.