Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479987 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3975 on: September 14, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »

Yikes.

You shouldn't take that sitting down.  You've got to do something about it.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: September 15, 2009, 02:03:34 pm »
Shot down on the sub.  Gotta start juggling now, especially because my agent isn't picking up the damn phone.  Gotta make it happen...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: September 15, 2009, 02:50:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about the ill luck, Shee. Do you have a reliable daytime job already, or are you throwing absolutely everything into acting? I just hope you aren't starving or something. Mostly for the sake of the chickens. :lol:

Critics apparently universally slammed Jay Leno's opening night.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_en_tv/us_aftermath_leno_premiere

WTF. Leno's show was amazing as usual, and he handled the Kanye West drama with serious panache all things considered.

What matters is that Leno's making people laugh again, and that does a huge service to society. I couldn't stand Conan, so I'm really in celebration mood since Leno's back with his regular gig.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: September 15, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »
I'm frustrated that you don't like Conan!! 8)

The dayjob isn't "reliable" as in I have a different schedule each week, but I sure as shit didn't move here to be a tutor.  I make income from it though, a lot if I teach a lot of classes in a week.  Good news is, I just got off the phone with my agent and I have time to make it after my class if I haul some ass.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:28 pm »
Insomnia is frustrating.  I haven't slept in almost 2 days and it's...ugh.  And I take (prescription) sleep medication!  Bleh.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »
Eeee.  I went through a couple of brief periods of insomnia lasting a week each.  It is irritating, and it's hard to break that cycle.  Does the medication help at all?  (Is it worth the possible side effects?)

I can't remember how I broke out of the cycle when I had it.  Typically, being forced on any rigorous schedule will make me want to sleep more (but often able to sleep less, as is the current situation).  Also, as far as sleep aids go, the best non-prescription ones I've found are Sudafed night time, sublingual melatonin, and an herb called tulsi which is sold as a tea in many health food stores.

I need better stay-awake aids.  It frustrates me that Monster drinks somehow manage only to put me to sleep when I'm tired.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3981 on: September 15, 2009, 09:21:32 pm »
I would recommend a tea called Sleepy Time Tea. Not a very imaginative name, but it does make you drowsy. doesn't tasste that great though. At least, it didn't when I was seven :lol:

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: September 15, 2009, 10:06:00 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  Maybe I should start drinking tea at night.

There aren't any side effects that I know of.  Or at least, there aren't any that are particularly bothersome.  I did some pretty heavy-duty research on the meds before I started taking them to see if there were any horrendous side effects.  The meds worked pretty well the first few months I took them--I've been on them since last July.  I just have a body that doesn't like to sleep, I guess?  Before I went on any kind of sleep aid, I'd go for 3 or 4 days without sleep and then I'd crash for only a few hours.  Not very healthy.

As far as stay-awake aids...I smoke to keep myself awake when I have to write papers and such, but I'm definitely not going to encourage anyone to start smoking or to continue smoking.

I've heard those 5-hour-energy-booster drinks (I can't remember their name) work wonders.  Is Monster the only think you've tried?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:09:54 pm by Sajainta »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: September 15, 2009, 10:09:10 pm »
I would recommend a tea called Sleepy Time Tea. Not a very imaginative name, but it does make you drowsy. doesn't tasste that great though. At least, it didn't when I was seven :lol:

As long as it doesn't taste like that awful orange-flavoured medicine I took randomly as a kid then I'm all for it.  :)  Thanks!

I think the name is cute.  :D

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3984 on: September 15, 2009, 10:21:57 pm »
The five hour energy booster drink is called Five Hour Energy. There's a Six Hour one, too. They're these small little bottles, and I've heard they also taste horrible.

If you like asian tea, you'd probably like Sleepy Time. I prefer english teas with milk and sugar, so I don't care for it as much.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3985 on: September 15, 2009, 11:16:28 pm »
Ask ZachiKarky what the best cure for insomnia is. She'll tell you the same thing I will, because she took my advice lol.

Melatonin. Go grab a bottle of 3mg capsules of Melatonin, take one, and lay down. You will be asleep soon.

Melatonin is the natural chemical that your body produces to make you feel sleepy, and it's available as a supplement. I love it and swear by it.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3986 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:58 am »
I had to write a memoir for my seminar class. It was an easy enough assignment, but it got a little depressing halfway through.

I basically told the story of when I started the Gifted and Talented Education(GATE) program in fourth grade, and how difficult it was on me because I never had to think or work much before. But I remember that the other kids, almost all of them, were getting everything that was taught and got everything done easily. They were much smarter and harder working than I was.

Yet, I grew up with most of them over the years, we all basically went to the same middle school and high school together. But I can't remember any of them graduating with me. We all started as Freshman together, but only a handful made it to our senior year. One of them became the Salutatorian, but the rest didn't graduate with me.

I just can't understand how these kids that whooped my butt as fourth graders couldn't make it when so many inferior minds, myself included, did. It sucks to see  such potential ruined.

Damn it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:49:31 am by Truthordeal »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: September 16, 2009, 02:05:14 am »
Will do, Lakonthegreat!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: September 16, 2009, 02:08:35 am »
That is sad, Truthordeal.  One can hope that maybe some of them transferred to other schools where they continued to flourish.  If not...you're right, it is tragic when people don't live up to their potential.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:46 am »
Truth, did they drop out then? It would be interesting to study their cases and see what went wrong. Home pressures, maybe? Drug addiction?