Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479969 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3690 on: August 22, 2009, 02:12:54 am »
PRO TIP: Don't let your pressure cooker explode unless you want to lose your Friday night, let alone an eyeball or something. I'm actually surprised I haven't been able to find a single Youtube video of such an event, even when there are videos of ghosts and alien encounters up there. The pressure cooker that blows a plug must be the rarest of events indeed!

If anyone out there uses pressure cookers on a regular basis, please read the instruction manual and follow the actual care and cleaning instructions. I think the fact that I never cleaned the pressure regulator vent (that doohicky where the rocking knob sits on most models) with one of those furry pipe cleaner things allowed it to become blocked just enough that the darn thing had to blow open the secondary pressure plug to prevent the entire pot from becoming a shrapnel bomb.

What's amazing is that within the span of five seconds, 4 quarts of stew can get blown out of a little hole and end up splattered all over your walls and ceiling. I think I'll always regard Presto models with a slight bit of fear now.

But damn, what an awesome five seconds that was.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: August 22, 2009, 02:22:41 am »
oh wow what a novel concept. reading the manual! genius i tell you!

in all honesty i dont think that anyone has videos of a pressure cooker exploding because, as you said, its a messy experience and you can lose an eye or two. im sorry to hear that you lost your stew but it is kind of funny.
frustrated because i still feel ill. i hate being sick.
edit: OH WAIT. there was a show i like to watch. its called 'time warp'. oneof the things they showed was a pressure cooker asplodin. maybe look for that?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:32:21 pm by ZombieBucky »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: August 22, 2009, 03:39:55 am »
I guess yestrday was my one day break from bullshit.  Snickers, our family dog of over 15 years, has passed on.  We shared the same birthday.  We shared loooots of laughs.  I will miss her dearly.

I'm sorry to hear that Shee. I also know what it's like to lose a close dog friend. Do you mind me asking what she passed from? 15 years is quite a good age for a dachshund. She must have had a good, long life.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:57 am »
But damn, what an awesome five seconds that was.

As much as I really feel for you right now, facing steamy peril and having to spend Friday cleaning up after that, I have to admit it does sound kind of wicked.   (Stewcano?)  Hope you guys (you and the cooker) can get on good terms again.

The only time I've had something similar happen was when the toilet at my old apartment decided to randomly become a geyser.  I forgot exactly what it was in the tank that broke, but it blew the lid clean off and shattered it.  I kid you not, for some reason the water pressure to that thing was insane.  After rushing into the bathroom I could only stand there and look dumbfounded at the column of water for a while, admiring its integrity.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3694 on: August 22, 2009, 04:37:13 pm »
Fuck Wii homebrew. "Oh it's so easy to replace songs in Brawl!" They don't work. Then I decide "ok let's try some cheat codes", so I download Code Manager. Homebrew Channel's response? "Not a valid Wii application". Fuck this bullshit, there goes several hours of my time.

Pissed off at a few other things but eh.

Just... fuck. Things always have to be so fucking complex.

EDIT: Oh boy! This looks like a fun game! I wish I could play it, but my (new! Hardly used!) Wii remote's signal dies every few minutes and takes another round of minutes to sync again! Hurray! I love Nintendo!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:48:45 pm by FaFniR »

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: August 22, 2009, 05:07:26 pm »
Well, I am rather annoyed at the fact that school is interfering with my Re-TO time.

However, that is life. I must accept that factor and move onward.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: August 23, 2009, 05:37:18 pm »
fuck me.

Roomie woke up Saturday to find H.W. trampled in the brooder.  Now we're doing to 3 chickies.  FUUUUUUUUUCK!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: August 23, 2009, 05:55:31 pm »
Jesus Shee, really sorry to hear about your losses lately. I think this happens to most who try to take care of a whole litter of baby animals at once. Reminds me of the time when I was seven and I tried to take care of an abandoned rabbit litter one summer; depressing times.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3698 on: August 23, 2009, 08:41:23 pm »
fuck me.

Roomie woke up Saturday to find H.W. trampled in the brooder.  Now we're doing to 3 chickies.  FUUUUUUUUUCK!

*hug* : (. I have bad luck with  cats. My favorite one got run over after just 8 months of me keeping him, and the cat that I gave to my mom when I was in Japan (and I rescued him from japan) got run over after just a 2 year life a couple months ago.  I am hoping that the 3 chickies you have left will be alright.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3699 on: August 23, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »
FUCK our political convention. Conor Clarke is filling in for Andrew Sullivan on his blog, and though I don't always agree with Clarke's posts, he at least tries hard to be intellectually sincere, which is more than the majority of opponents to the fucking health care reform efforts can say. New to the list of liars: John McCain!

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/08/john-mccain-on-death-panels.html#more

John McCain on Death Panels

by Conor Clarke

I guess I will beat the dead horse of death panels once more. On "The Week With George Stephanopoulos," John McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, had this to say about the Sarah Palin death-panel rumors (via Steve Benen):

MCCAIN:  Well, I think that what we are talking about here is do -- are we going to have groups that actually advise people as these decisions are made later in life and …

STEPHANOPOULOS:  That's not in the bill.

MCCAIN:  But -- it's been taken out, but the way that it was written made it a little bit ambiguous.

"Ambiguous." Thus do we witness McCain joining the prestigious Michael Steele school of literary criticism. You see, a health-care bill is really a lot like Hamlet or The Wasteland. Interpretations may vary. Where some scholars find an utterly innocuous and optional expansion of Medicare coverage, others might see a program akin to mandatory government euthanasia.

I have expressed my frustration with this tactic many times before, and I know it is getting tedious. But, to recap, the tactic is this: (1) Make a preposterous and false claim about a bill. (2) Have the claim disproved. (3) Avoid defending the original claim, but instead observe that the controversy reflects "a legitimate difference of interpretation" about what might happen in the future. Effective opposition in three easy steps!

And so we have a conundrum: Ignore the tactic, and let the falsehood persist, or engage with the tactic, and play into the false appearance of legitimate debate. I do not have a good solution. The best I can do is repeat, with endless tedium, that the bill is not ambiguous and the original claim is still false. I can further add that people who hide falsehoods behind the smokescreen of an equally false ambiguity are doing a fabulous job of destroying legitimate public discourse

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3700 on: August 23, 2009, 09:36:14 pm »
Z, if we never had ambiguity in the law, there'd be no reason to have a Supreme Court anymore.

Just for the record, I think John McCain, an actual Senator, knows more about what's in the health care bill than George Stephanopolous.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3701 on: August 23, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »
You're an idiot. Go read the proposals and discussions. The "Death Panel" is a bald-faced lie perpetuated by Palin and the like, and you, like the idiots disrupting town halls, buy right into it.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: August 23, 2009, 10:41:18 pm »

On another tangent...

School starts tomorrow for me at a UC university (I won't say which due to privacy concerns).

Due to budget shortfalls and fiscal mismanagement, the student tuition fee has been increased by 20%.

This puts the semester fee at a little over $4,000.  That's without the books and materials.

These events have forced me to execute what is known as Open University.

Pros: I pay far less than the standard tuition and I still get to go to school this semester & use its facilities.
Cons: I can only enroll up to a maximum of 7 units, which hinders my degree progress plenty enough.

Here's hoping I land a big break in the future and be able to pay future semesters in full.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3703 on: August 23, 2009, 11:48:03 pm »
You're an idiot. Go read the proposals and discussions. The "Death Panel" is a bald-faced lie perpetuated by Palin and the like, and you, like the idiots disrupting town halls, buy right into it.

I'm sorry Z, I must have missed the part where you read the House and Senate bills in their entirety, hired a lawyer to explain all of the legalese and BS that goes into any of these legislative bills, rather than viewing some bias-ridden condensed version from whatever left-wing blog you frequent.

I'm not convinced that the "death panels" are real, but I do know that in the last week or so the Senate did a 360 and dropped a major portion of the end of life counseling part of their version of the health care bill. I have no idea what exactly was dropped, because I don't feel like reading the damn thing and trying to translate it.

Maybe you're right, and all they dropped was a funding for X vaccine for elderly people. Or maybe Sarah Palin's right and the Congress wants to kill old people. Like I said, I don't know, and neither do you or George Stephanopoulos.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3704 on: August 23, 2009, 11:52:03 pm »
Okay, as far as the whole healthcare plan is concerned, and the government in general, I'm tired of everyone complaining so much about things that you can't really change. We can't change the minds of the rich bastards who decide what's best for us, the general public. What we can change is ourselves. We can change our clothes, our moods, whatever. Too many people think on the "World scale" and not so much the "Personal scale." Why don't we, instead of spouting back something that someone else told us, come together as one and agree that there's nothing we can do to change any of it?