Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478849 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3330 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:19 pm »
I love my new lappy, but one further lameness perpetrated by the crappy lappy is the fact that I can't transfer files from it...The USB port is apparently fuct (possibly due to the worm/virus/whatever it has)...and I have no idea what I'm doing with the wifi connections (I tried some things, but when nothing came of it, I quit)...fortunately, I can now use the wifi at the library to reacquire many of the things I had w/o the horrible slowness of my usual 56k.

You have to make an ad-hoc wifi network. What operating system/versions are you running on each machine? Wifi configuration varies a lot between different versions of Windows, and to make things worse, older versions don't even have system wifi configuration options -- it's all mostly dependent on whose drivers and connection management software you're using.

My suggestion would be to by a cross-over ethernet cable. They're a special kind of networking cable with the wire's switched backwards at one end, so instead of plugging into a router, you can wire one computer directly to another. One cable shouldn't cost more than $10, and will let you transfer files at speeds of around 10-100Mbs. Some older network devices and a lot of newer ones don't even require the special cable -- they automatically turn a normal cable into a cross-over cable via Auto-MDIX, so you might be able to get away with using just any ethernet cable you can find lying around.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:16 am »
Current frustration: People who think incest in anime and RPGs is an okay thing.

No offense Zephira, I definitely like some of the Magus pics that show up as your avatar, and I know you aren't part of that crowd.

But anyone who thinks Magus and Schala are a couple need to get their heads out of the gutter. Don't listen to the Woosley translation, people! They are brother and sister!

Mainly to people in Japan. I hate the whole 'pure blood means pure people' mentality some people have going there. :picardno

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:44 am »
Current frustration: Mudbloods? I dunno. This:
I hate the whole 'pure blood means pure people' mentality some people have going there.
just made me think of Harry Potter.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:38 am »
On the plus side, I got some Vicodin.

Vicodin is an awesome drug. When I had my car accident, it was the only thing that would take away my back pain. Nothing else would work. Plus that mild euphoria it gives you just makes the day that much better.

Here's a fucking frustrating story for you all: So my girlfriend and I had been planning on moving in together for half a year. Now, my lease is up in less than two weeks and we were about to sign on a house when her dad (who is Mexican and super traditional) told her he would disown her if she moved in with me before we were married. So she backed out. Which was fine, because I was just going to move in with my current roomate instead. Everything was hunky-dorie until I find out that my girlfriend, behind my back, found a house for herself, her friend, and MY ROOMATE to move into together that would be cheaper for all three of them. So ultimately, my roomate, who has to pay off school loans, naturally decided to move in with her. So now I have no roomate, and no place to move into, and now my dog and I will be effectively homeless as of less than two weeks from now.

The funny thing is, she does stuff like this all the time. If I didn't love her, I wouldn't still be with her. She is probably the most selfish person that I know. Anything that makes her life easier, or her bills cheaper, she'll do - even if it means fucking me over. So now I'll be forced to crash at her place until I can find my own. All of this is hugely frustrating because everything was set in stone until just a few days ago.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: July 15, 2009, 12:42:07 am »
On the plus side, I got some Vicodin.

Vicodin is an awesome drug. When I had my car accident, it was the only thing that would take away my back pain. Nothing else would work. Plus that mild euphoria it gives you just makes the day that much better.

Here's a fucking frustrating story for you all: So my girlfriend and I had been planning on moving in together for half a year. Now, my lease is up in less than two weeks and we were about to sign on a house when her dad (who is Mexican and super traditional) told her he would disown her if she moved in with me before we were married. So she backed out. Which was fine, because I was just going to move in with my current roomate instead. Everything was hunky-dorie until I find out that my girlfriend, behind my back, found a house for herself, her friend, and MY ROOMATE to move into together that would be cheaper for all three of them. So ultimately, my roomate, who has to pay off school loans, naturally decided to move in with her. So now I have no roomate, and no place to move into, and now my dog and I will be effectively homeless as of less than two weeks from now.

The funny thing is, she does stuff like this all the time. If I didn't love her, I wouldn't still be with her. She is probably the most selfish person that I know. Anything that makes her life easier, or her bills cheaper, she'll do - even if it means fucking me over. So now I'll be forced to crash at her place until I can find my own. All of this is hugely frustrating because everything was set in stone until just a few days ago.

Wow. Either you're right and you're dating a loser, or you're wrong and your worldview is out of order. You need to respect yourself more. I hope you can work it all out.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:05 am »
Frustration: I lost one of my knitting needles! I can't knit with only one needle!

Oh really? Are you sure about that? It sounds like a challenge to me.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #3336 on: July 15, 2009, 01:11:23 pm »
That seriously sucks Eric. What a treacherous thing to do...I'd just barge in and live off 'em till I get myself situated. Then again, that's easy for me to say, since I don't know the people or how they'd react.

I have no idea whether the Vicodin is working. I was told I'd have minimal pain anyway (since it was a fairly easy extraction) and I don't currently feel any pain (well I am too afraid to wait for the pain, so I just take it every 8 hours as prescribed), but I don't feel any of the other effects either: it's not making me tired or euphoric. Whatever, I'm just happy there's no more blood and drool oozing out of me. But it's gonna suck to have to eat these freaking soft foods for the next while.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: July 15, 2009, 01:32:53 pm »
So now I'll be forced to crash at her place until I can find my own. All of this is hugely frustrating because everything was set in stone until just a few days ago.

That does suck. There seems to be one option, unless you magically find people to live with within a week, and you're not gonna like the suggestion probably cause it's a big step and a lot of bullshit comes with it, but have you considered asking to move in together? You'd have a place to live, she'd have cheaper rent. Again, it's a big thing to consider, but if you got nowhere else to go...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: July 15, 2009, 01:51:05 pm »
... have you considered asking to move in together?

So my girlfriend and I had been planning on moving in together for half a year...  she backed out.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: July 15, 2009, 02:15:14 pm »
Oh yeah. Oops. I'm not very useful today.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:36:43 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: July 15, 2009, 08:43:36 pm »
Gah....lost a member of the Re-Temporal Odyssey. Luckily, it's early on so it shouldn't mess up anything.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 15, 2009, 09:22:27 pm »
Gah....lost a member of the Re-Temporal Odyssey. Luckily, it's early on so it shouldn't mess up anything.

And I thought nobody would leave this time (or at least, this early). So, who was it?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 16, 2009, 03:33:27 am »
My frustration is people who rant about their problems, and, in so doing, present themselves very favorably and characterizing their problems as other people's fault. I hate that personality trait.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3343 on: July 16, 2009, 05:06:27 am »
My frustration is people who rant about their problems, and, in so doing, present themselves very favorably and characterizing their problems as other people's fault. I hate that personality trait.

Shōgun, p. 748

How baffling it was that even the most cunning and clever people would frequently see only what they wanted to see, and would rarely look beyond the thinnest of facades. Or they would ignore reality, dismissing it as the facade. And then, when their whole world fell to pieces and they were on their knees slitting their bellies or cutting their throats, or cast out into the freezing world, they would tear their topknots or rend their clothes and bewail their karma, blaming gods or kami or luck or their lords or husbands or vassals—anything or anyone—but never themselves.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: July 16, 2009, 05:49:00 am »
You must have shown that to me before--you or someone--because it's in my quote book.