Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478535 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2940 on: May 22, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »
I've said this before in this thread, but it really deserves to be mentioned again.

Texan Drivers. Specifically, those drivers who, in turning left at a 4-way stoplight intersections, will see that they have a green light when they begin the turn, then see the red light that is meant for perpendicular traffic, and then STOP in the middle of the intersection until that perpendicular traffic light turns green.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:22 pm »
I've said this before in this thread, but it really deserves to be mentioned again.

Texan Drivers. Specifically, those drivers who, in turning left at a 4-way stoplight intersections, will see that they have a green light when they begin the turn, then see the red light that is meant for perpendicular traffic, and then STOP in the middle of the intersection until that perpendicular traffic light turns green.

Holy shit. We have that in Virginia. They're called North Carolina Drivers.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: May 23, 2009, 01:59:59 am »
Robbed at gunpoint today.  Yaaaay.  Thankfully unharmed and lost nothing too bad, just some cash.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: May 23, 2009, 02:05:10 am »
Shee, are you effing serious!? Holy shit. Take care man. Glad to hear you didn't bite the bullet.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: May 23, 2009, 02:10:13 am »
laaame man.. laame.  thats soo uncool.

so sorry bro V.V

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: May 23, 2009, 02:12:03 am »
Coulda been a LOT worse, but was quick and done with.  Wasn't about to argue and he wasn't about to cause unnecessary problems for himself.  Classy people of L.A.  Times like those suck, I felt violated and all that, angry and useless.  Of course as I'm leaving I'm thinking of how I could of pulled some Jackie Chan shit and all that nonsense....never would happen, as much as I like to talka  big game I'm not stupid and quite frankly don't have the balls for something like that.  Even worse is if my head was on just a LITTLE tighter it could of been avoided.

Good news, though, is I'm fine and well if not a little shook.  Just more broke than before...

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: May 23, 2009, 03:13:51 am »
Well just glad you're okay.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: May 23, 2009, 03:51:07 am »
That sucks, man. You have my sympathies.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: May 23, 2009, 11:02:08 am »
Damn.

If you're in a rough-and-tumble neighborhood, it helps to travel light, which means taking any unnecessary valuables out of your pockets or bag or purse. It might also help to carry a fake wallet with some of those fake credit cards that come in the junk mail and maybe a few dollars in ones and a five.

Very important:

1. Always keep a written backup copy (at home) of the personal information on your cell phone.

2. Always keep a written list (at home) of everything that's in your wallet, including the important information like debit card details. I actually have a photograph of both sides of everything in my wallet (other than the money, obviously).

This way, if you ever lose your phone or your wallet, you'll not have lost any important information, and you'll also know who to call. (For every card in your wallet, you'll have to call the company involved, take any necessary security steps to protect your accounts, and have new cards sent out.)

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: May 23, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Yeah, I was an Allison fan myself. At least it makes me feel better because Adam and Allison will make tons of records and Kris will fade into obscurity. The first words he said after he won were "Adam should have won", which really should tell you something.
I was a big Allison fan as well; she truly could "sing her face off", as Randy liked to put it! :) I was really hoping it'd be Adam and Allison in the final. To me, they were clearly the best singers in the bunch. Kris is a really nice guy, though, and definitely has some talent. Nonetheless, it should have gone to Adam. At least it's good that Kris and Adam are such true friends; it really impresses me how much class both of them have. :D

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: May 25, 2009, 09:22:37 pm »
My recurring frustration: People who don't take care of their pets by getting them the bare minimal amount of medical treatment required to keep them healthy.

This lady comes in with her 8 year old Chihuahua for a Rabies vaccination. I ask her if her dog has ever been vaccinated before, she says she never has and that she doesn't care (apparently she got the Rabies just for the legal requirement of it). I tell her that the vaccines protect against several potentially fatal diseases, and that even an 8 year old dog can still contract them. She says she knows and doesn't care. I asked if the dog has ever been dewormed. She laughs. I ask her if she knows that there is a high probability that the dog has intestinal parasites, and that several of them are transmissible to humans and can cause potential complications - especially in children. Once again she laughs.

But the grand finale: I ask if her dog is on heartworm prevention or if she has ever been tested for heartworm disease. I ask if she knows that the disease is fatal if left untreated and that it is extremely, extremely common in Texas. She laughs and says "she is healthy as can be!" as she's blowing kisses at her little Chihuahua. Well that's great, why are you at the vet again? I mean, I personally don't know why we invented things like bloodwork machines or antigen tests when we can just look at a person or animal and tell immediately that they are in an asymptomatic stage of an eventually fatal disease. Despite her uncanny diagnostic capability, I still recommended the tests and gave her pamphlets on heartworm disease. She declined everything.

So if you love your pet so much, why don't you get her the bare minimum amount of preventative medical care necessary to keep her at the very least healthy? I predict that she will bring the dog back in a year or two with congestive heart failure and terminal heartworm disease and she will claim that she had no idea about it whatsoever. Almost like a confirmation of that, about 30 minutes later I ran the blood test on another 8 year old dog in an identical situation. Lo and behold, heartworm positive. Big fucking surprise. Luckily that owner was committed to the nearly $700 treatment that could have been avoided in the first place with a simple and cheap preventative pill.

People piss me off. That's one of the reasons I've devoted my life to the care of animals.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:25:41 pm by chrono eric »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: May 25, 2009, 09:43:18 pm »
I hate people who mistreat their animals. I mean, if you can do something about it, do it. I grew up with dogs. One of them died from a stroke. One got torn apart by the others. And one of them... I don't even remember what happened to her. Though I am having some problems with my cat Maud, and probably with Rosie too. We just... can't afford to have them taken to the vet. No offense, Chrono Eric, but your profession costs people like me a lot of money we don't have. But if we were to go, we'd probably take as much treatment as necessary.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:31 pm »
Honestly, people who can't afford to take proper care of their pets...should not have them. Pets are not decorations. They are living beings entirely dependent on our care.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:17 pm »
I know, but... things happen. We could afford to have cats when we got cats. But now... we can't. We're doing everything we can for them, but... times are tough.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:28 pm »
I hate people who mistreat their animals. I mean, if you can do something about it, do it. I grew up with dogs. One of them died from a stroke. One got torn apart by the others. And one of them... I don't even remember what happened to her. Though I am having some problems with my cat Maud, and probably with Rosie too. We just... can't afford to have them taken to the vet. No offense, Chrono Eric, but your profession costs people like me a lot of money we don't have. But if we were to go, we'd probably take as much treatment as necessary.

I often say "if you don't have money, why would you think it would be a good idea to have a pet?". However, for people that have had pets for years and suddenly fall on hard times, it is understandable. They face two choices - either cut back on basic medical care or give their pet to another family that can better take care of it. Choice number two is obviously the more moral one, but people often misguidedly think that another family would never care for their pet as they do, or that their pet would be unhappy there and so they side with choice number one. This is a choice made out of love, and not a lack of compassion, and so I don't blame people for it.

But to me the choice is so simple that I don't even have to think about it. Should I put away a few bucks here and there for my pet, a sentient being that depends completely on me for its continued well-being and survival, or should I buy that new HD TV? If I was hurting for money, I would simply not own a pet. However, people make a variety of choices and I believe that the majority of people attempt to make the correct choices even if they fail at times.

It is the uncompassionate assholes like that lady that I will never understand.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:00:43 pm by chrono eric »