Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478506 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2835 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:32 am »
Yes, it happened to me too. But since nobody posted anything about it, I thought it was the computer's fault or something.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: May 07, 2009, 09:56:46 am »
To be exact, the webserver at www.chronocompendium.com was down for several hours yesterday.  irc.chronocompendium.com was still up, for some reason, and the hosting computer responded when I used its IP address to ping it.  Guess it's just one of those mysteries.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: May 07, 2009, 10:08:33 am »
To be exact, the webserver at www.chronocompendium.com was down for several hours yesterday.  irc.chronocompendium.com was still up, for some reason, and the hosting computer responded when I used its IP address to ping it.  Guess it's just one of those mysteries.

The IRC service and the related CGI client are both hosted separately from the main site (they're hosted on my cable connection here in Korea, whereas the site is hosted in some huge collocation center run by a web hosting company somewhere stateside), so there's no mystery there.

Our hosting service provider was doing a routine system upgrade, and something went wrong, so about a dozen of their servers were down for the day.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:58 am »
A skunk was run over somewhere within a mile or two of my house.  Unfortunately it's starting to get hot, and the AC in my apt hasn't been turned on yet.  So I'm forced to leave my window open overnight or else I'm stuck with a sauna for a room.

So having to deal with stinkyness.   :cry:

Making me cough too.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: May 08, 2009, 08:59:08 pm »
A skunk was run over somewhere within a mile or two of my house.  Unfortunately it's starting to get hot, and the AC in my apt hasn't been turned on yet.  So I'm forced to leave my window open overnight or else I'm stuck with a sauna for a room.

So having to deal with stinkyness.   :cry:

Making me cough too.

Skunk stench doesn't bother me at all anymore, because I used to use a chemical called beta-mercaptoethanol during DNA extractions every day and that shit is the worst smelling stuff in the world. It smells like a potent mixture of rotten eggs and alcohol shaken up and kept in the heat for a day because of the chemical groups that are on it. I'm permanently desensitized to everything bad-smelling after that. Because of the toxicity of it I would use it in a hood and the stench was still nearly unbearable to me.

Here's a wikipedia excerpt:

2-Mercaptoethanol is considered a "severe" poison, causing irritation to the nasal passageways and respiratory tract upon inhalation, vomiting and stomach pain through ingestion, and potentially fatal absorption if it contacts the skin

Nasty shit right there.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16:13 pm »
Do I want to know what line of work that was?

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: May 09, 2009, 05:40:51 am »
It doesn't bother me too much Eric.  It was the fact that I had a cough to begin with and skunk fumes were making it worse that bothered me most of all.  I can prolly name off 10 things I find stinkier than a dead skunk off the top of my head.....

1.  Shit
2.  Bad breath
3.  Armpits after going without a shower (daily people, do it daily, and wear fucking deoderant!)
4.  The drain of a soda fountain (found this out the hard way at a previous job, ugh)
5.  Water treatment plants (drive by one on the way to work)
6.  Farts
7.  Rotten eggs
8.  Vomit
9.  Compost
10.  Any U2 song

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: May 09, 2009, 08:48:55 pm »
Do I want to know what line of work that was?

Researcher in a genetics lab. It's months on end of boring, repetitive tasks with intermittent sparks of excitement when something is discovered. Not my cup of tea.

10.  Any U2 song

I hope that list isn't in order of decreasing nastiness because it is extremely unfair to shit to place it before U2 songs  :lol:.

Which reminds me of that one South Park episode that I don't remember the name of but  somehow involved Bono competing with Stan's dad to make the world's biggest shit.

Volbia

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: May 10, 2009, 12:51:00 am »
fucking piece of shit AC is broken and its hot as hell in georgia. not to mention my fucking migraines are beating my face into the fucking ground. fucking stress reliever game may be fucking more stressful than useful. fuck

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: May 10, 2009, 05:44:02 pm »
I remember that South Park...."YEA YEA YEA YEA"

Fuck U2.

I think the general frustration is...known.  Not what my hungover ass needed to read today...but my fear is that this kills momentum of the site somewhat at least.  What is frustrating is that feeling of being unable to change your surroundings.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: May 10, 2009, 05:45:05 pm »
I just shaved of a beard I have been working on for exactly 1 year yesterday, my face is freezing cold right now.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 10, 2009, 05:52:25 pm »
Why? It's a scientific fact that beards increase your manliness +10 points at least.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2847 on: May 10, 2009, 05:57:13 pm »
Why? It's a scientific fact that beards increase your manliness +10 points at least.
It's a scientific fact that - if grown correctly - beards increase your ability to attract women by +10 points.
Goatees are fun to tug on and stubble is handsome. My favourite is the curly-ish kind that isn't too long.

Also, side burns are AWESOME.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 10, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »
I had it for one full year, and it was one of the most turbulent and rough years ever for me. I just wanted to see how I looked, besides I grow it VERY quickly anyways.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »
My current frustration is that CE got C&Ded.

As well as that far as beards/goatees/sideburns/stubble and attracting women, mine haven't seemed to help me out a whole hell of a lot... Granted, my goatee is fuller now than it was 2 years ago, but stubble and sideburns have been on my face for quite sometime... In high school, guys who could grow facial hair before me were jealous of my sideburns...