Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 472976 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2775 on: April 30, 2009, 02:55:13 pm »
He did say in his opinion. I think we're being counterproductive in the splitting of which life is more important than which other life. It's all life, it all effects the ecosystem, and it's all important.

Then again, this discussion kind of reminds me of a psychology assignment, where you're in a hypothetical apocalyptic situation and you have a list of like 25 men and 25 women and their jobs and you have to choose ten people total to survive. Who do you pick?

While it's kind of pointless, it's also rather fun, seeing how few people agree on the subject of the value of human (or other) life.

Also kind of related, the president of the US gets an entire armed force to watch his back anywhere he goes, and they get to call themselves the "Secret Service". What does the average american get for protection? Nothing except the legal right to own a weapon for self-defense and an emergency phone number to tell cops to stroll by when they feel like it. I dunno, inequality pisses me off.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: April 30, 2009, 04:04:57 pm »
So several of my friends are huge fans of Fallout 3, so I lent them my copy of the first two. Alas the give it back the next day saying:

"Those dumb fucks at Black Isle had such a great world and just made another Diablo clone...Lame."

:shock:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: April 30, 2009, 04:16:53 pm »
It's all life, it all effects the ecosystem, and it's all important.

Or it is all unimportant, depending ;)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: April 30, 2009, 04:24:49 pm »
 :lol:

Yes, but I meant if any life is important, then it's all important. Philosophy teeheehee.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: April 30, 2009, 06:04:59 pm »
life doesn't exist... we're merely strings of atoms quarks molecules photons and etc. put togethor.  Life is but an illusion, an unwanted idea that was unexpectedly created when the massively formulaic groups of molecules called "cells" grouped up to create massive objects which are guided by the electronic pulses in the parts of theses massive objects called brains... there is no life.  There is no randomity, there is no
"will". all that we are or will be was predetermines at the beginning of the universe... everything is a mere reaction to another reaction, of which the results could and would never be different, because of the exact placement of particles and matter runs everything that exists.

I was fated to write this.

..... well, thats what I COULD say.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: April 30, 2009, 06:30:42 pm »
LoL

If your going to try and pretend your smart do by using big words do some research buddy. Because from that right there you don't seem to have a clue on the behavior of atomic structures and the like. If you did you see the blatant contradiction in your message.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2781 on: April 30, 2009, 06:55:09 pm »
MY personal basis for this is:

If a dog and a random stranger, neither of which I knew, were balanced on opposite ends of a beam suspended over shark and crocodile infested sulfuric acid, and if i save one the beam would unbalance thusly dumping the other one into said shark and crocodile infested sulfuric acid, I would probably save the random stranger.

...but thats just my basis. he still has to explain his.

Oh, and yes, sharks and crocodiles are awesome enough to live in sulfuric acid, I know =D

That is your conclusion. Not your basis. Try again.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: April 30, 2009, 07:09:37 pm »
MY personal basis for this is:

If a dog and a random stranger, neither of which I knew, were balanced on opposite ends of a beam suspended over shark and crocodile infested sulfuric acid, and if i save one the beam would unbalance thusly dumping the other one into said shark and crocodile infested sulfuric acid, I would probably save the random stranger.

...but thats just my basis. he still has to explain his.

Oh, and yes, sharks and crocodiles are awesome enough to live in sulfuric acid, I know =D

That is your conclusion. Not your basis. Try again.

nope. my conclusion is that I prefer human life over animal life.
my basis is the example that I made.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: April 30, 2009, 07:15:11 pm »
He did say in his opinion.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. Were you talking about someone else?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: April 30, 2009, 11:47:39 pm »
He did say in his opinion.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. Were you talking about someone else?

Yeah, sorry. That was a direct response to eric's response to iamserge. These conversations get a bit convoluted at times. Here, in red:

Frustration: A major storm ripped through here last night and it kept me up all night. I managed to fall asleep at about 6 AM but woke up again at 8, and then got intermittent sleep for the next couple of hours. Luckily I only have to work at 1 PM today. I would be majorly pissed off right now if I had to get up in the morning with no sleep at all.

Personally, an AVERAGE humans value (not some radical extremist that everyone wants dead) in my opinion is greater than an average animal's value based upon one statistic mainly: intelligent communication...

As Lord J Esq pointed out, this worth is still subjective and completely arbitrary. Why did you use intelligence as a measure of worth, and not some other biological trait instead? I could easily argue that the average lifespan of an animal should be a measure of the worth of their life, in which case the life of a human would not be worth more than the lives of several species. Or, I could just as easily argue that since high intelligence is extremely rare in the animal kingdom, that worth should be measured by some other more important and common trait. My earlier point is exemplified by your post here - you cannot assign any sort of objective value to any life, human or otherwise - no matter how much you may want to.

Also to note:
life doesn't exist...

There's a lot of evidence against this claim. Also, you should either smoke more weed or less weed. Whatever the amount, I'm not sure you've nailed it yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:51:39 pm by Mr Bekkler »

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:05 pm »
*sigh* I... nvm.

just forget I even said that ok?

It was a failed attempt at something, but I refuse to say what.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: May 01, 2009, 12:01:19 am »
There's a lot of evidence against this claim. Also, you should either smoke more weed or less weed. Whatever the amount, I'm not sure you've nailed it yet.

This is the funniest thing I've read all week.  :D

life doesn't exist... we're merely strings of atoms quarks molecules photons and etc. put togethor.  Life is but an illusion, an unwanted idea that was unexpectedly created when the massively formulaic groups of molecules called "cells" grouped up to create massive objects which are guided by the electronic pulses in the parts of theses massive objects called brains... there is no life.  There is no randomity, there is no
"will". all that we are or will be was predetermines at the beginning of the universe... everything is a mere reaction to another reaction, of which the results could and would never be different, because of the exact placement of particles and matter runs everything that exists.

What in that entire passage that you wrote demonstrates that life "doesn't exist", exactly? Did you mean to say, or are you trying to demonstrate that free will doesn't exist instead of life? Or are you equating the definition of both, saying that conscious life that is aware of an illusory "will" is the only relevant form of life? I'm thoroughly confused.

Don't take it all back now. Discussions like this are fun, you know. It's the only way to get practice with putting the ideas that are in your mind into writing.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:30 am »
I do take it back because thats not my true beliefs...

but if they WERE my true beliefs, then what i was doing was exactly what you said: Free will does not exist and I was equating the two that way.  Based upon the idea that nothing beside this universe and set of universal laws exists, technically everything should be predetermined, though whilst still being incalculable to us.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: May 01, 2009, 12:20:04 am »
*sigh* I... nvm.

just forget I even said that ok?

It was a failed attempt at something, but I refuse to say what.

If you don't mind, I'm going to smoke and forget about it very soon.  :)

It's all good though. Don't take it personally. It just sounded like you were high.
Here's the thing. Life is seemingly random. That's why it's life. It should mean something to you that we haven't found any life anywhere else but here. As far as we know for sure, we're all there is. I love the idea of aliens, and think it's incredibly probable. But the fact is life exists on our planet, not on the other 8 (cause I still count Pluto :P ) in our system. We cannot duplicate life synthetically. We can genetically modify things, and we can create viruses, but they're not technically entirely alive. They're kind of half-alive, and that's because life is so extremely improbable in the first place and therefor difficult to recreate, there's no accepted universal definition of life. Instead, there are traits and behaviors which, if posessed, indicate life in most cases.

From Wikipedia:
Conventional definition: The consensus is that life is a characteristic of organisms that exhibit all or most of the following phenomena:[9][10]

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Consumption of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of synthesis than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter. The particular species begins to multiply and expand as the evolution continues to flourish.
Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of higher animals. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and chemotaxis.
Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms. Reproduction can be the division of one cell to form two new cells. Usually the term is applied to the production of a new individual (either asexually, from a single parent organism, or sexually, from at least two differing parent organisms), although strictly speaking it also describes the production of new cells in the process of growth.

Edit:
This is the funniest thing I've read all week.  :D
I hoped you'd catch that  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:22:42 am by Mr Bekkler »

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 01, 2009, 12:25:15 am »
But the fact is life exists on our planet, not on the other 8 (cause I still count Pluto :P ) in our system.

Pluto being planet = win.

If you read my last post I said that these arent even my true beliefs, so... heheh