Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 472888 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2745 on: April 28, 2009, 09:32:57 pm »
Is the situation really scrwed up and evil?  Sure.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  The REAL gripe I'm having here actually has nothing to do with Vick himself, just when was the last time we got this up in arms for OTHER PEOPLE!?  Living or otherwise, fighting or not, cute or not, they're DOGS, the things we describe beggars and vagabonds as, they're not people!!!!!  Don't read this as I'm inhumane or ignorant towards the plight of poor pet ownership (I'm sure Crono Eric can testify that it is indeed a massive problem) but rather...let's use this energy and focus to something for fellow man, not his best friend.

There are many issues in this world, and a great variety of individuals. Some people care about one particular topic or political position, the rest care about countless others. We should not take a perceived view of importance based on the superiority of one viewpoint over another, of one species over another, and use that to monopolize what we should or should not be talking about in the news, or what people should or should not care about. The fact is that out of that great diversity of individuals there are plenty that care about human affairs and will devote their lives to that cause, and there are plenty that care about animal affairs and will devote their lives to that cause. Whether one is more important than the other is completely subjective.

Michael Vick should and was punished for his brutal and inhumane crimes against animals. Whether that punishment is sufficient, I will leave up to others to speculate. That, I imagine, is primarily what the news is talking about nowadays. And it seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable, valid, and important thing to discuss.

However, I don't lie that if the news is going to be covering topics on the welfare of animals, and if PETA is going to raise hell about it, then I certainly wish they would cover more pertinent ones instead. Because as widespread as animal abuse is, it is nowhere near as widespread as heartworm disease, parvo, and distemper - fatal illnesses of dogs that I see nearly every day and that are due solely to the negligence/ignorance of their owners. A form of abuse in its own right, I've decided - by denying an animal under your responsibility the most basic medical care necessary for its continued well-being and survival.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:52:55 pm by chrono eric »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2746 on: April 28, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »
Regardless of who takes it upon themselves, it's important to put the welfare of animals above those of humans because they can't do it themselves...We are the ruling species of the planet and it's kind of our responsibility to take care of it and our co-inhabitants as best we can...By being responsible for those around us we better ourselves as a whole anyways, so it's not like you're neglecting humanity by taking care of the animals that may or may not be beneath us...

That's my $.02 anyways.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: April 28, 2009, 11:16:13 pm »
Regardless of who takes it upon themselves, it's important to put the welfare of animals above those of humans because they can't do it themselves...We are the ruling species of the planet and it's kind of our responsibility to take care of it and our co-inhabitants as best we can...By being responsible for those around us we better ourselves as a whole anyways, so it's not like you're neglecting humanity by taking care of the animals that may or may not be beneath us...
That's assuming Douglas Adams wasn't right about the dolphins and mice being smarter than us.  :lol:

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: April 29, 2009, 02:57:03 am »
Three frustrations

1. Six Days in Fallujah was cancelled by Konami. Why don't we cancel Castlevania games because they portray the Christian religion in a bad light, or vampires even? Fucking idiots. At least it's still being made.

2. SomethingAwful is closed to non-members for about a week X_X which brings me too...

3. I really want to join SomethingAwful, but I don't want to get helldumped. That and I'm really unsure about paying the 10 bucks with my credit card. Ugh, don't want my identity stolen.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: April 29, 2009, 03:40:08 am »
That's assuming Douglas Adams wasn't right about the dolphins and mice being smarter than us.  :lol:

Well, we still have rule over their environments...Mice slightly less-so though I suppose...But we still have the ability to fuck even them over...

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: April 29, 2009, 03:42:52 am »
I have no problem with people who protest real mistreatment of animals. Yes, there are people who protest mistreatment of people, but it doesn't make the news like a dog-fighting ring (in Vick's case) and what not. The life of a person is worth more than the life of any animal. People like PETA really chap my ass.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: April 29, 2009, 03:46:39 am »
I think the life of some people is worth more than the life of an animal...but there's plenty of people I'd sacrifice for a dog with even the worst disposition I think.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: April 29, 2009, 10:26:27 am »
The life of a person is worth more than the life of any animal. People like PETA really chap my ass.

PETA's great, you just have to know which PETA to be a part of. Me? I'm a proud member of People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. We are an old and proud organization who have been unfairly targeted by the squater group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

But jesting aside, you can tell more about a person by how they treat their inferiors than by how they treat their equals or superiors.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: April 29, 2009, 10:36:26 am »
I'm part of the PWHATLOC (People Who Hate Acronyms That Leave Out Conjunctions). P-What-Loc! Stupid Acronyms with their stupidness...!

What if a person doesn't believe in inferiors of any type? Or what if they believe they are the inferior? What if someone eats babies but cares for old people? What if a baby eats old people and leads an army of babies against us ALL!?!? It starts with our women's milk, but they'll never be satisfied with just that!!

I should probably go to sleep soon...EAT BABIES BEFORE THEY EAT YOU!! IT'S LIKE YUMMY YUMMY HUMAN VEAL!!!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: April 29, 2009, 12:41:44 pm »
Yeah, PFTETOA is another group. It's basically People for the Ethical Treatment of Anal-retentiveness. :lol:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: April 29, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »
What if a person doesn't believe in inferiors of any type?

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I can't imagine a human like that. Intelligent people value their intelligence, and thus hold themselves as luckier than unintelligent people. Non-intellectuals hold the literati in disdain and thus hold themselves as "more real." Successful people find value in their success, while unsuccessful people find value in having "lived through a harsh life." People go into a restaurant and expect to be waited on, people expect to be held accountable but employers, etc. While humans might have different kinds of hierarchies, it seems like hierarchies always exist.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2756 on: April 29, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »
The life of a person is worth more than the life of any animal. People like PETA really chap my ass.

Your basis for this being?

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: April 29, 2009, 03:06:20 pm »
MY personal basis for this is:

If a dog and a random stranger, neither of which I knew, were balanced on opposite ends of a beam suspended over shark and crocodile infested sulfuric acid, and if i save one the beam would unbalance thusly dumping the other one into said shark and crocodile infested sulfuric acid, I would probably save the random stranger.

...but thats just my basis. he still has to explain his.

Oh, and yes, sharks and crocodiles are awesome enough to live in sulfuric acid, I know =D

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:29 pm »
You have been better off going with ill-tempered mutant sea bass.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: April 29, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »
they still live in sulfuric acid tho.

always