Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479986 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1995 on: February 14, 2009, 09:33:05 pm »
Wow.. spend the day sifting through TF tutorials, and come back to the second coming of Ramsus. Eventful weekend indeed. Welcome back! (By the way, you're an awesome artist. I'm jealous.)

On topic... Temporal Flux is awesome, but confusing. Been trying to load NPCs into a test room below Manoria Cathedral and get them to talk. Whenever I walk next to the NPC, he changes colors, the game glitches out, and Crono disappears.
I've searched Kajar and the Compendium for for other tutorials, but there aren't very many. Anyone know if there are other tutorials floating around the net?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: February 14, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »
There's going to be a huge tutorial-making effort soon I think.

idioticidioms

« Reply #1997 on: February 14, 2009, 09:38:12 pm »
Well, stick around. It's good to know there's members who don't hesitate to call out admins on things.

Nothing's worse for an Internet community than a flock mentality.

I've never been the type just to sit around and 'baa' pleasantly, lol.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1998 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:40 pm »
I knew Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong (er...Ramsus) was waiting in the wings somewhere (he made a Oekaki post a while after his My Work Here Is Done thread)...Always nice to see stuff getting done. The Shadow stuff was based on a fuckload of little things (which is a reason I couldn't bring myself to ban) that were really not getting better. While I'm sorry to see any member that 'contributed' so much go, I can't say I'll really miss SDD...

Anyways...My sleeping pattern has gotten a little fuct recently. It usually doesn't matter much to me since wtf am I doing all day anyways? But I do need to wake up for getting to the library weekly and since this Monday is President's Day or w/e, and since my library is normally closed on Mondays they're closed on Saturday this week so now I have to 1) go to the library when it's closed to return junk so it doesn't get late fees and 2) wait until Tuesday so I can pick up my holds & what-not (got the first seasons of Spaced & Torchwood waiting...!). Maybe I should change when I go to Tuesday or Wednesday (8pm closing time compared to 6pm)...hmmmm...

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: February 14, 2009, 11:00:23 pm »
What the fuck, I go away for a day and Shadow is banned? I suppose that is what is currently frustrating me. I was one of the ones who thought he shouldn't be banned, and in the poll thread - weren't the ones that thought he should be banned in the minority?

Bans by popular demand are almost worse than arbitrary bans. Would you rather have someone ban you for a certain reason, or get banned because you were simply voted off the island?

I'd rather not encourage the idea that being unpopular will inevitably lead to being banned, or that being popular will save you.

Popular opinion should be - and already is - a real factor to be considered when determining whether someone should be removed from a community.  I certainly agree that it should not be the only factor, but it shouldn't be ignored either. Tell me honestly: if everyone in this entire forum loved Shadow, and mentioned such on a regular basis rather, and cried out in objection at the very thought of him being banned, but he still had committed all of the grievances you listed, would you still ban him?  Obviously this situation is strongly hypothetical, but not impossible, given the right set of hypothetical people in said hypothetical community.  Regardless of whether it would happen in real life, it serves well to pose my question.  Tell me that the 3-5 people who loudly complain about Shadow on a regular basis are not a factor in the minds of any admin on this forum when they agree with your decision.

Note that I am interjecting here not because I strongly care one way or the other whether Shadow gets banned, but because you merely brought up an intriguing debate topic.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:45 pm »
Shadow is banned?

Eh... He could've gotten better, but he was headed down the wrong path of forumology...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: February 14, 2009, 11:16:07 pm »
Those people that would mention their love of him regardless of his 'grievances' would be ignored because they are obviously unfamiliar with forum rules & etiquette (jesus, I'll never be able to spell stupid french-based words). Do ignorant people's votes count for less than others? Probably not, but based on your (hiddensquire) hypothetical it probably should :lol: I think it's less about what the standard community is saying (since a lot I noticed that were in favor of not banning were newer members and a lot for were being spammy about it themselves) but more about the admin forum where it eventually slid into a unanimous consensus for the pro-ban side. I could be wrong though...*shrugs*

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2002 on: February 14, 2009, 11:36:43 pm »
I apologize if I was spammy or rude during this fiasco. I tend to be the ever-persistent optimist. Well, this will serve as a great example for what not to do at a forum (or anywhere, for that matter).

Other frustrations: Telemarketers. More specifically, Mexican, pre-recorded telemarketers. I have no clue how they got my number, but they've been calling at least three times a week for the past couple of months. Anyone else in the Washington area have this problem, or know how to stop it?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 14, 2009, 11:57:10 pm »
Shadow's gone huh? Whatever.

idioticidioms

« Reply #2004 on: February 15, 2009, 12:32:48 am »
if a person is an asshole but is loved by everybody, does it make them any less of an asshole? no. Even people who are loved by everyone still need to be subject to the rules and laws or else they'll just do whatever they want. You can't hold any one person above another based on popularity, otherwise you start going down a really bad path.

@Zephira: I just hang up on the pricks when they call. If it's an actual person on the other end, have some fun with them. As soon as they start in on their pitch, interrupt them with something like this: 'Hey, would you like to buy some *fake product name* you can get it now for just a low, low price of *fake price*, and if you order now, you can get a second set of *fake product* now! Would you like to pay in cash or credit?'

It's morbidly hilarious to hear them on the other end stammer a bit and then end the conversation.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: February 15, 2009, 12:58:49 am »
Are you already added to the do not call list, Zephira?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2006 on: February 15, 2009, 01:10:23 am »
I should be, my mom signed the whole family up as soon as that act was passed. The problem is that I don't know if it's telemarketers or something else, since it's all in spanish.
Thanks for the link. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Sigma Head

• Porrean (+50)
  • THE BADDLE HAZ JUSD BEGUNN! DIE! XXX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: February 15, 2009, 03:25:51 am »
Whoa. The Ram came back. RAM JET!

Since this is the frustration thread, I'm going to say what's frustrating the hell out me: managing people that don't do a damn thing when they work. It's a rather simple thing and it cannot be escaped no matter what the job, but it still drives me nuts nonetheless. Maybe because I work myself to the bone constantly. It makes you appreciate the people that do get off their butts and show initiative.

All part of the crap I signed up for when I took the job.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 15, 2009, 03:50:43 am »
Ramsus is like me these days. He functions in normal life, but he's being pulled by the gravity of his interesting ideas and desires to contemplate meaningful pursuits and other enterprises. I sort of pulled him back with Crimson Echoes.

Speaking of which, it's 1:49 AM and I'm beginning my day. Fucking desires. Ah well...I am going to be one productive son of a bitch today.

FaustWolf is also correct; after Crimson Echoes, a lot of people may become interested in ROM hacking or trying Temporal Flux out. So instead of making another project the subject of the Fan Project Aegis, the Compendium will devote its official attention and resources to tutorializing everything we learned to make Crimson Echoes, and all the other new developments.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: February 15, 2009, 04:11:24 am »
What the fuck, I go away for a day and Shadow is banned? I suppose that is what is currently frustrating me. I was one of the ones who thought he shouldn't be banned, and in the poll thread - weren't the ones that thought he should be banned in the minority?

Bans by popular demand are almost worse than arbitrary bans. Would you rather have someone ban you for a certain reason, or get banned because you were simply voted off the island?

I'd rather not encourage the idea that being unpopular will inevitably lead to being banned, or that being popular will save you.

Popular opinion should be - and already is - a real factor to be considered when determining whether someone should be removed from a community.  I certainly agree that it should not be the only factor, but it shouldn't be ignored either. Tell me honestly: if everyone in this entire forum loved Shadow, and mentioned such on a regular basis rather, and cried out in objection at the very thought of him being banned, but he still had committed all of the grievances you listed, would you still ban him?  Obviously this situation is strongly hypothetical, but not impossible, given the right set of hypothetical people in said hypothetical community.  Regardless of whether it would happen in real life, it serves well to pose my question.  Tell me that the 3-5 people who loudly complain about Shadow on a regular basis are not a factor in the minds of any admin on this forum when they agree with your decision.

Note that I am interjecting here not because I strongly care one way or the other whether Shadow gets banned, but because you merely brought up an intriguing debate topic.

Yes, I would still ban that person. This is a place of discussion, not a cult of personality for the most liked to rule. Besides, when the popular become untouchable, those with unpopular opinions become easy targets for abuse. It squashes the kind of open atmosphere to think and explore that we've always tried to maintain here.

As far as whether or not such a thing was a factor in my decision to ban Shadow, remember that I've only been lurking the generally accessible forums as an anonymous observer for the last month. Nobody's been complaining to me about anyone, not even the other admins, since nobody's been able to reach me. Even Z barely had a chance to keep in touch with me.

So it doesn't matter who was complaining to what admins; resolving people's complaints wasn't the primary motive behind this ban. Instead, my decision was based on my own observation and investigation.

But your argument is still valid in the sense that that's how things work at most other forums. I don't agree with it as being correct however, and had I not returned, I think the things you cited in your argument would have certainly been the basis of any administrative action against Shadow by the other admins. Part of why I did this now, and did it myself, was to keep that from becoming the case.

Also, I think it's for Shadow's own good that he's being banned, and that's really the most important thing to consider when banning someone. Certainly more important than popularity.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:22:38 am by Ramsus »