Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479720 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1110 on: January 14, 2009, 05:21:02 am »
It's over.

Because of my lack of faith, I'm not a suitable mate. My intelligence, my emotionalism, my empathy, and my true feelings mean nothing.

Most of my teenage and adolescent life has been spent thinking about love and romanticism. The Romantic Age was always my favorite. I cherished every opportunity to learn, and enjoyed exploring my own abilities and desires. I always kept my ideals and my dream.

And now, with someone who as of tonight is probably no longer my best friend; who cared for me in my weaker moments over the last year and allowed me to care for her; whom I could talk for hours with and share eclectic interests and humor; and whom I shared the possibility of an entire future with, wishing only to make her happy, spiritualism and religion have ended a chance to fulfill my highest dream.

Why was I born into a world such as this?
There is no why. Much like the glass 'half full/half empty', the situation as you put it is too complicated. (a "design factor of two", if you will) Do what you can -- don't worry about what you can't -- to gain and/or protect what you find most important in life. There is nothing more that a person can do in life.

ZeaLity, I feel for your loss, as I went through a similar relationship not too long ago, but in this 'game of life', it's 'shit or get off the can'. (excuse the profanity as my intention is not to patronize)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 14, 2009, 05:23:56 am »
Thanks, everyone.

Kid's is definitely my attitude here. It'll just be tough as the old feelings and thought patterns repeat themselves a bit before going away. When you think about someone for a couple hundred days, you get used to it...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:32:51 am by ZeaLitY »

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:46 am »
I give you my best regards, ZeaLity. May your situation be resolved, if not in reality, at least in mind with as little anguish as possible. I'm going to bed now; good night.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:22 am »
I give you my best regards, ZeaLity. May your situation be resolved, if not in reality, at least in mind with as little anguish as possible.

I share BROJ's sentiments, quoted above. No pup deserves to suffer, unless the suffering was brought down as the result of something. Then again, most motives render that moot, leaving the fact that no pup deserves to suffer.

(I'd post a pic, but I can't find any that are good enough.)

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:03 am »
Bit late to the party but just to let you know Zeality, that there is hope.  I do not accept religion, my wife comes from a family that does.  She believes in the idea of God, but not in the bible, so that is to say she is not a religious zealot and thinks along the lines that being a "good" person in life is all that you need to do.  Religion and God have never been a source of tension between us.  
As for your situation, the only logical thing that could have been done was tell her what you felt.  If she accepted your ideals, even though they conflicted with hers, then great, things can continue and evolve.  If I understand correctly she did not, which would lead me to believe that even through her IQ of 140, she has the taint of a true religious zealot within, especially if all that she believed in was reincarnation and karma.  How does your non-belief in those ideas affect her path to reincarnation?  Just like most religious folk, reason has no place.  Memories will fade and feelings dull. You'll cross paths with countless women... at least this came to light early on before a serious long term commitment had taken place.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 14, 2009, 09:04:57 am »
... lots of posts...

Anyway, I hope you feel better inside, Z. Don't worry; there are other girls out there that won't care if you don't believe what they believe.

Personally, I don't know what lies beyond this world. I prefer not to think on it, though. I have a panic attack if I do, you see.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 14, 2009, 09:54:07 am »
I hate thinking about the future. When I do, I get this weird feeling in my chest and I can't sleep due to inexplicable nightmares.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:26 am »
I wanted to offer a few short comments on the general tone of advice given to ZeaLitY earlier. Here are some relevant quotes:

Quote from: KebreI
I would choose tolerance in favor of my ideal, I know for a some one like fact J esq would probably choose the opposite.

Quote from: chono eric
But on a side note, perhaps you should be a little less strict about what you are looking for in a relationship? If you are too strict, then you may never find happiness.

These are good intentions, but totally beneath the complexities of the real world. This advocacy for undiscerning tolerance, which does not take into account the thing being tolerated, is seriously ill-considered. Not only is such tolerance not virtuous; it is actively demeaning to the person who holds it. In large part, we define ourselves by what we embrace and what we reject, and to what degrees.

The religious question happens to be a very important one to ZeaLitY. He himself already pointed out that he isn't going to reject potential partners if they aren't video game fans or don't exercise every day. He even said that he would still be willing to pursue a relationship with this person, provided she wanted the same, despite the fact that she is spiritual and he is not. The thing that was really gnawing at ZeaLitY all this time was not that she isn't with him on the religion question. What was really gnawing at him was that he felt he was not expressing himself honestly, not representing himself honestly, and that that was poisoning a relationship built upon mutual respect, shared confidence, and the free exchange of ideas.

For many people, the religion (or lack thereof) of one's partner is of less importance than it is to ZeaLitY at this point in his life. Those people would not have needed to do what ZeaLitY did, which was to fire off a revelatory e-mail making clear that his nonreligious views are important to him and that he must be free to express them in any healthy relationship. Others might not have needed to do that, but he did. We each can shape our identity only so much, and only so quickly. Beyond that, we must be who we are...or else suffer the psychological consequences of self-denial.

I didn't see the e-mail he wrote; maybe ZeaLitY was more incendiary than he needed to be. But, however he conducted himself, he was right to make the point that he made to her, because by doing so ZeaLitY was setting himself up in the best possible way: If she were receptive, she would make that clear and the relationship would become more mature. And if she were not receptive, that would be good to know at this point in their relationship, before things became more serious. As it turned out, it sounds like she promptly cut off their relationship...the more painful of the two possible outcomes, but far better than the status quo that would have been maintained had ZeaLitY said nothing.

Those of you who advocate for tolerance without considering the costs and circumstances of it would perhaps have chosen differently than ZeaLitY did. In this case, all it would have gotten you is the continuance of a relationship that you feel is smothering you. This is a hallmark of conventional moral thinking. Tolerance in one's interpersonal relationships can be a great virtue—not least because it accommodates other people in a world where concord and harmony are ever in short supply. Yes, it can be a virtue, but only when it does not require one to become a hypocrite or a liar, as either would undermine not both the relationship and the individual.

I also find it remarkable that when people thought it was ZeaLitY who was considering breaking off the relationship, people here advised him to be more tolerant and thoughtful, but, when it became clear that she was the one who was considering breaking it off, people instead told ZeaLitY to be honest with her about his views, stand back, and wait for her to decide for herself how she wanted to proceed. Indeed, that second set of advice was good. But that's not what they told ZeaLitY in the first place.

The bottom line: Mutual tolerance is always present in a mature relationship. However, so too is personal conviction. And when the two contradict each other, the relationship has to end. It is regrettable, but life is like that sometimes. So say J.

Now, on another topic:

Quote from: Shadow D. Darkman
I hate thinking about the future. When I do, I get this weird feeling in my chest and I can't sleep due to inexplicable nightmares.

That is the sign of a life lived poorly. You should learn who you are and declare your intentions to the world. You'll sleep better...and you'll have something good to think about when you're awake.

Since this is the frustration thread and all, I want to say how frustrating I find it when people make such statements about the future. What an unfortunate way of thinking! It reminds me of the scene at the end of the Tyrano Lair, shortly before the Reptite civilization is destroyed. (Nice metaphor for what it gets you.)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 14, 2009, 11:55:13 am »
Quote from: Shadow D. Darkman

That is the sign of a life lived poorly. You should learn who you are and declare your intentions to the world. You'll sleep better...and you'll have something good to think about when you're awake.

Since this is the frustration thread and all, I want to say how frustrating I find it when people make such statements about the future. What an unfortunate way of thinking! It reminds me of the scene at the end of the Tyrano Lair, shortly before the Reptite civilization is destroyed. (Nice metaphor for what it gets you.)

Perhaps lived poorly, but I don't believe I don't have a future. Tomorrow is another day, after all. Perhaps tomorrow will bring something that will allow me to think about the future without suffering from that feeling in my chest and the weird nightmares.

Besides, I have friends and family that will help me into the future.

I guess it comes from the fact that I haven't discovered my purpose yet. I don't know why I'm here, but my gut tells me I'll find out one day.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:27 pm »
I just remembered, referring to my previous post about my player.  It most likely means that I'll have to put CTDS on hold even longer.  *Sigh*

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 14, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »
Damn it J, my post kinda do sound a little mixed up. What I meant, and this is my advice overall not just ZeaLitY's case, if your in a situation that could be remedied with acceptance then accept it. Like I said before don't turn a blind eye don't sacrifice your own convictions just accept that his/hers are different, and if you have or are willing to, then give life together a shot.

Did I mention that this may be just outside of my experience zone? I may sound naive, or idealistic but this is what I've learned so far.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 14, 2009, 03:56:05 pm »
I don't think my life has been for naught, but thinking about what's beyond this and what the way there will be scares the crap out of me.

Dammit, J! Your post is too long!

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 14, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »
Too bad Zeality. This is a shit, shit world. Get used to it. You'll probably have many similar experiences down the road. But hopefully you'll find what you are looking for in someone someday. After all you seem very optimistic about it.

Personally, I don't know what lies beyond this world. I prefer not to think on it, though. I have a panic attack if I do, you see.

Do you literally have a panic attack or do you just start to worry a lot? The two are two different things.

I guess it comes from the fact that I haven't discovered my purpose yet. I don't know why I'm here, but my gut tells me I'll find out one day.

There's no purpose to life and you have no purpose in being here. You have to make your own purpose, not wait for it to fall into your lap someday. Think of the things you like doing in life and how you could turn that into a career. You don't have to live a life of a corporate zombie like 99% of the population. The old adage "If work was fun they wouldn't call it work" is bullshit. You can find something you like doing and live an enjoyable life.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 14, 2009, 04:24:54 pm »
I can't breathe, it feels like I'll faint, nothing helps, and I need to run, but there's nowhere to go because it's right around the corner. This feeling is totally unique from other worries I have, like oh-shit-I-didn't-do-my-English-work-and-I-have-English-last-period-but-no-way-to-finish-my-work. This worry scares the shit out of me and often comes in waves after the original thought.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 14, 2009, 04:28:07 pm »
Whether or not there is a purpose to life or his life rather is for him to find out, not to be told what is or isn't from any person.

...and you don't have to work in a corporate setting to be a zombie.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:29:45 pm by placidchap »