Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 472908 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1065 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:50 pm »
Sounds less like frustration at religion itself & more frustration at close-minded gits. I know it sounds the same, but it's not. ;) & sorry to hear.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:27 pm »
I'm about to very possibly kill a chance at a fulfilling relationship because I don't believe in invisible gods and reincarnation.

Is she of Hindu faith by chance?

I know a Hindu girl that went to UNT that was in love with this guy, but her family forced her to dump him because he didn't adhere to their faith. Now she's in an arranged marriage I think. Pretty jacked up shit.

I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion, Z. You ask (albeit indirectly) for proof they exist, so I ask you, prove they don't.

Oh goody, another thread turns down the philosophical road.  :D The burden of proof is on those that claim they do, Shadow. I can't prove that Zeus doesn't exist, but I can prove that lightning is caused via natural processes.

"There is a thing called being so open minded that your brain falls out" - Richard Dawkins

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:22:19 pm by chrono eric »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:48 pm »
I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion, Z. You ask (albeit indirectly) for proof they exist, so I ask you, prove they don't.

Prove I'm not your great-great-grandfather, who faked his death after discovering a magical serum and receiving revelation that he should wait a century and then make a Chrono series fan site. You can't, because you don't know me. And I can't prove atoms exist, because I've never seen them through the appropriate scientific equipment. But atoms have a scientific basis and overwhelming evidence of existence. My being your great-great-grandfather has no rational basis. And neither do the tenets of religion.

Is she of Hindu faith by chance?

No religion, really. Just a belief in reincarnation and karma.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 13, 2009, 11:23:44 pm »
I'm about to very possibly kill a chance at a fulfilling relationship because I don't believe in invisible gods and reincarnation.

I hate religion. I hate it. I hate all of it. May it die forever.
Then just pretend you do.

Yea, your not the type to do that I know. Is she the recruiting type? or does she just believe in religion. I know of couple who believe in separate and some times conflicting beliefs or lack there of, but they're good together. That was the only issue and it was easily remedy with acceptance.

You have the chance at a relationship, that is your dream isn't it, well sorry but working for your dreams take work (tolerance is hardly something to avoid). BUT if she isn't tolerant of you as well then feel free to lay it on think Z.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »
But atoms have a scientific basis and overwhelming evidence of existence. My being your great-great-grandfather has no rational basis. And neither do the tenets of religion.

Atoms are perhaps a bad example, Zeality. They can be seen directly with the proper scientific equipment, and even if they couldn't - you can prove something exists without seeing it by virtue of its' macroscale properties.

I have an extreme aversion to Western faith. Eastern faith, particularly Buddhism, I don't mind so much as it is very similar to Native American faith in the sense that the end result is the same - to achieve enlightenment through the exploration of consciousness and the living of a righteous life. Contrast that with the concept of achieving salvation through the worship and acceptance of an external god. They are like polar theological opposites.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 13, 2009, 11:31:25 pm »
I agree, Eric. Arranged marriages are, indeed, fucked up.

Z, first cool your head. Second, how do you know you're NOT my your great-great-grandfather, who faked his death after discovering a magical serum and receiving revelation that he should wait a century and then make a Chrono series fan site. For all you know, that may have been how it was supposed to come about.

(to KebreI) IDK, tolerance came to me kinda easy. A girl I knew in my sophomore year (and fell out with in my junior year, after she moved away) had a brief time when she converted to Wicca. There was this urge to blurt out condemnations for my whole school to hear, and yet brushing it aside was so easy that I can't describe it. She would later either convert back to Christianity or something else. IDK.

Later on, I met a girl who was a Wiccan, and seemed to be... unusual. Can't describe for reasons already stated, but it was just so, abnormal. One would think I accepted her reluctantly, but I didn't. I truly did accept her. She never was a Christian, though her dad is, and yet, we get along so well. We dated for a few months (November 2007 to July 9, 2008. I remember the day she dumped me for reasons unknown), and now we're close friends. To this day, she continues to be unusual, and I still am not alienated.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 13, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »
This will probably be the end, Kebrel. My life exists around a core of humanism and human potential and adventure. This person's exists around something different. I can't hide my true nature any longer.

I just...it'd be so awfully easy to hate and revile the world for being so religious and irrational. I'm tired of having my options limited from the get-go because of superstition. It took me a long time before I was ready to accept the existential responsibility for my own life and remove the concept of heaven from the end of my existence and replace it with a mystery. But I did it. I wish everyone else could, too. This world would be so much better if people weren't focused on the mythical world that follows.

Eastern faith, particularly Buddhism, I don't mind so much as it is very similar to Native American faith in the sense that the end result is the same - to achieve enlightenment through the exploration of consciousness and the living of a righteous life.

These comments aren't directed at you, but since you brought the topic up...I just strongly dislike the Eastern issue with desire. Desire can be good or bad, but it shouldn't be expunged. Desire brings progress. And then...that attitude can be bad. The other day on Digg, a ton of Diggers (who are usually extremely rational, albeit also sexist) posted that "Buddhism isn't a religion; it's a philosophy," which is complete bullshit. Buddhism is filled with just as much metaphysical and ritualistic insanity as a fair share of other religions.

Z, first cool your head.

If you think this thread is "hot" concerning religion, then you've yet to taste the real Compendium.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:10 pm »
:picardno

Not what I meant, bro. I was referring to the term "hot-headed"

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:28 pm »
Ditto.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 13, 2009, 11:39:56 pm »
I agree, Eric. Arranged marriages are, indeed, fucked up.

Z, first cool your head. Second, how do you know you're NOT my your great-great-grandfather, who faked his death after discovering a magical serum and receiving revelation that he should wait a century and then make a Chrono series fan site. For all you know, that may have been how it was supposed to come about.
I don't think you get it buddy. And that isn't the point its what this leads to is...

(to KebreI) IDK, tolerance came to me kinda easy. A girl I knew in my sophomore year (and fell out with in my junior year, after she moved away) had a brief time when she converted to Wicca. There was this urge to blurt out condemnations for my whole school to hear, and yet brushing it aside was so easy that I can't describe it. She would later either convert back to Christianity or something else. IDK.

Later on, I met a girl who was a Wiccan, and seemed to be... unusual. Can't describe for reasons already stated, but it was just so, abnormal. One would think I accepted her reluctantly, but I didn't. I truly did accept her. She never was a Christian, though her dad is, and yet, we get along so well. We dated for a few months (November 2007 to July 9, 2008. I remember the day she dumped me for reasons unknown), and now we're close friends. To this day, she continues to be unusual, and I still am not alienated.
I can't tell if your agreeing or if you think your disagree but really agreeing with me. Z don't blindly accept her, I left that out because your smart enough to know that. If you really can have a relationship if you know you love this person yet your anger towards religion is holding you back then friend sorry but the hates gotta put under control.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 13, 2009, 11:41:02 pm »
I'm open to options. I still have feelings for who she is. But I'm just rather certain that this is going to remove the possibility from her mind.

Part of the fun of starting my international adventure in the Czech Republic is that something like 80% of the population is on the same page as I am about religion. It might just feel like heaven compared to the United States in that regard.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 13, 2009, 11:42:46 pm »
I still have feelings for who she is.

Love her for who she is, not what she believes.

Quote from: Godot from Phoenix Wright
That's one of my rules.

I can't tell if your agreeing or if you think your disagree but really agreeing with me.

Truthfully, I was neither agreeing or disagreeing, hence my saying "IDK" in there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:44:47 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 13, 2009, 11:45:15 pm »
Z, first cool your head. Second, how do you know you're NOT my your great-great-grandfather, who faked his death after discovering a magical serum and receiving revelation that he should wait a century and then make a Chrono series fan site.

What? Who would know that better than himself?

Desire can be good or bad, but it shouldn't be expunged. Desire brings progress. And then...that attitude can be bad. The other day on Digg, a ton of Diggers (who are usually extremely rational, albeit also sexist) posted that "Buddhism isn't a religion; it's a philosophy," which is complete bullshit. Buddhism is filled with just as much metaphysical and ritualistic insanity as a fair share of other religions.

I agree. I didn't say I agree with all Buddhists perspectives, just some of them. This is one that I don't agree with it, but it should be noted that this is not a universal belief across Buddhism. And from a metaphysical standpoint, many denominations of Buddhism actually practice exactly what you said:

It took me a long time before I was ready to accept the existential responsibility for my own life and remove the concept of heaven from the end of my existence and replace it with a mystery. But I did it. I wish everyone else could, too. This world would be so much better if people weren't focused on the mythical world that follows.

And it is unique among many world religions for doing so.

I agree though, anyone who thinks they are going to go to a shiny paradise upon death and eat ice cream with their dead relatives needs to take a serious second to evaluate their worldview. I particularly abhor the phrase "It's okay, he/she is in a better place now." I want to scream whenever I hear that - I want to say - "You don't know that! All you can know for sure is that they are six feet underground being consumed by worms, which will in turn die and be consumed by saprophytic organisms, which will in turn die and be used as nutrients for plants, which will in turn be consumed by animals, which in turn will die and the cycle will repeat until millions of years from now every atom that composed his/her body is spread out evenly across the surface of the planet due to entropy. Better place indeed."

What is more noble, to pray for a heaven after death or to attempt to create one while you are still here on earth?

I'm just curious, does this girl believe in reincarnation with transmigration of memories or reincarnation of the self or soul without transmigration of memories?

EDIT: Man I really fucked that post up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:47:11 pm by chrono eric »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 13, 2009, 11:46:33 pm »
I still have feelings for who she is.

Love her for who she is, not what she believes.

I am fucking out of your league. I have feelings for her for many reasons, but she would probably not be fulfilled being with me, and I would definitely not be fulfilled being with her pretending to believe the same things. Grasp a simple concept like this, okay?

eric, yeah, I like some Buddhist stuff, too. If I had a favorite philosopher, it'd be Bruce Lee (obviously not considered a philosopher as much as he should be thanks to martial arts fanboys), and he took a lot of good things from Eastern philosophy. Rejected the bad or blindly traditional, of course.

As for memories...they're there, but residual. They poke through dreams and stuff, or get unlocked in hypnosis.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:48:21 pm by ZeaLitY »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 13, 2009, 11:48:31 pm »
If it's that complex, then yeah, I can't help ya beyond what I've already told you.

Besides, I meant that to say "don't let religion interfere with the relationship"

Z, first cool your head. Second, how do you know you're NOT my your great-great-grandfather, who faked his death after discovering a magical serum and receiving revelation that he should wait a century and then make a Chrono series fan site.

What? Who would know that better than himself?

I can think of a few, but that's my business.