Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 478454 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1020 on: January 12, 2009, 02:31:40 pm »
(I ask for coughdrops, they give me mints), and the DayQuil has vanished at home.

If they didn't just run out and actually aren't allowed to give you any in the first place, then that's probably because certain brands of cough drops (and cough syrup) have the chemical DXM (dextromethorphan) in them, which is a potent dissociative psychedelic drug. If kids your age didn't use it to trip your school would probably be allowed to dispense them to you.

DayQuil is the shit, especially for clearing up congestion if you have to sing. Stop by CVS and stock up on DayQuil and cough drops. As for getting your voice back, peel the skin from a ginger root and then cut it into thin slices and place it in a pot of water. Boil the pieces to make a tea. Add three tablespoons of honey for sweetener. Drink the tea slowly, and the extract from the ginger root will make your throat tingle at first, but will quickly bring your voice back. This is an especially good remedy for singers.

It may not make you feel 100% better and sing to your best ability, but it's better than getting screwed out of the district wide audition.

EDIT: Also, anything with pseudoephedrine in it is probably the best for alleviating cold symptoms, but nowadays I believe you have to be 18 to buy it (I may be wrong about that though, maybe you just have to show a drivers liscense) since it is essentially methamphetamine in a box.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:05:24 pm by chrono eric »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 12, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »
OH, GOD! *backs away from DayQuil* That shit tastes horrible!

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 12, 2009, 04:06:03 pm »
Dude! Nice! Thanks, Eric! *hugs* I'll have to tell Merrick this later. Merrick is my friend Parker's little brother and he has an amazing voice. At 13 he can hit notes I could never dream of getting close to.

Yeah, the kids here do use cough drops like that. It used to be that if you had a sore throat, you had to ask the teacher for a pass down to the nurse and she'd give you a couple, but now... mints. They're tasty, but I've gotten rather sensitive to a lot of sugar and they make me gag a little. Cough drops, all though they do have that little gagging sensation, are better.

Wish I knew what DayQuil tastes like. Never tried it.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 12, 2009, 04:15:11 pm »
Dude! Nice! Thanks, Eric! *hugs* I'll have to tell Merrick this later. Merrick is my friend Parker's little brother and he has an amazing voice. At 13 he can hit notes I could never dream of getting close to.

No prob. I know a singer that is in a band called The Riverboat Gamblers from the town that I live in that swears by ginger. He'll even go so far as to just suck on a ginger root before a show, although that is pretty disgusting flavor wise.

Yeah, the kids here do use cough drops like that. It used to be that if you had a sore throat, you had to ask the teacher for a pass down to the nurse and she'd give you a couple, but now... mints.

Most high school kids are stupid like that (no offense). "Hey man you wanna skip school today and trip on cough syrup and be scared shitless for hours on end?" "Hell yeah let's do it!". But I think school administrators are even more stupid. With the climate of anti-drug frenzy in this country, they don't even realize that if these kids wanted to trip on cough syrup all they would have to do is buy it at the pharmacy. So instead they don't give it out to students and kids that are clearly legitimately sick like yourself suffer as a result.

Wish I knew what DayQuil tastes like. Never tried it.

It tastes like liquid ass but it works wonders. Good thing it comes in pill form too.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24:53 pm »
We allow painkillers like Tylenol if your parents bring it in and you suffer from migraines. I can't stand that kids abuse medicine that other people really need, like cough drops when your voice is barely a whisper (earlier this morning, I could barely speek and had to resort to signing things out with my hands.) or Tylenol when your head feels like it will go BOOM any second.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 12, 2009, 04:27:26 pm »
They don't even let the school nurse give you Tylenol?  :shock: That's absurd. What the hell purpose is there for a school nurse then if she can't even help you? Just to say "Yep you're sick go home" or to give you a bandaid when you cut yourself?

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 12, 2009, 04:30:38 pm »
Essentially, they give you non medicine when that works, let you sleep if you have a headache (only for fifteen minutes now) and take your temperature. If you're really bad, you get to go home. If not, back to class with you.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1027 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:15 pm »
It's all about the 'Tussin...and off-brand as possible.

Got me through many a lame school day...uh, and I stand by the fact that I was sick, too...!!

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 12, 2009, 08:57:08 pm »
I just got kicked out of one of my University classes on the second day, the best part it's required. The reason was poor writing skills and behavior.

:picardno

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 12, 2009, 09:13:47 pm »
Please elaborate  :D. That's even more interesting than Shadow's backstory.

I can understand behavior (what kind of behavior?), but how the hell are they going to kick you out of the class because of poor writing skills? If anything they'd just fail you...

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 12, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »
I will admit that writing is not at all my forte, but I did well enough to test in to honors level classes, so I think that was just an excuse to get me out of his class. Behavior wise I wasn't even out of line, I try and not turn this in to a he said she said but... 8)

What happened was most like these few things things I think. One I was new to the class having taken the class at a diffrent time and from a diffrent Professor, but due to schedule conflicts I had to switch. On the first day I made a quip on how he more tolerant on sleeping in class then texting or mp3 players, he looked at me and just said "Yes, I hope you won't do either though."

No humor, I made not of this so not to get on his bad side.

Later when class began he wanted an open discussion about sexism in out culture, he used the former President of Harvard as an example. He noted that it could appear anywhere and that is a dire problem. If you read about the events faithfully you should no the events behind all the sensationalism. He was asking about why there aren't more women in the Sciences and Maths, at one point he mentioned "could there be a biological difference?" It was an honest question that the Media had a field day with. I explained this to him, and he asked me to repeat it 3 times, to see if I was BS the idea or if I knew about the story. He then panicked he was about to cry it looked like, then he switched topics to art and Manifest destiny  two days latter I find out from my counselor that I was kicked from the class.

The rest of the class explained to me that he was very unpredictable so the never participate, the discussions always end up just lectures, before I enrolled.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 12, 2009, 11:05:29 pm »
A couple days ago I found out that one of the earbuds for my MP3 player stopped working.  This isn't that unusual and I just go get another pair.  But I got the next pair and it still doesn't work.  Then I figure out that the headphone jack on the player isn't working normally.  So now I'm probably going to have to replace the entire player which I haven't even had for over a year now. I got it maybe August or so.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 12, 2009, 11:06:39 pm »
I've had headphones break under unknown circumstances in which the right earpiece does not work at all.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:48 pm »
Later when class began he wanted an open discussion about sexism in out culture, he used the former President of Harvard as an example. He noted that it could appear anywhere and that is a dire problem. If you read about the events faithfully you should no the events behind all the sensationalism. He was asking about why there aren't more women in the Sciences and Maths, at one point he mentioned "could there be a biological difference?" It was an honest question that the Media had a field day with. I explained this to him, and he asked me to repeat it 3 times, to see if I was BS the idea or if I knew about the story. He then panicked he was about to cry it looked like, then he switched topics to art and Manifest destiny  two days latter I find out from my counselor that I was kicked from the class.

The rest of the class explained to me that he was very unpredictable so the never participate, the discussions always end up just lectures, before I enrolled.

What? That's it? I can't believe you would be kicked out for that, unless you were a dick about it. But that is what the story was about. The President of Harvard was giving a speech and questioned why there aren't more women in the sciences, and he brought up the possibility of a biological difference, not in the sense of sexism and not in the sense of "OMFG women are dumber than men obviously they have smaller brainz" but as a legitimate question. Anyone who thinks there aren't differences between the sexes is a victim of our PC culture. Our differences are the best parts.

Whether that involves an extremely slight average difference in natural math or science ability, I don't know. But it's a legitimate question. No topic should be off limits for science just because it might offend some people.

If that's all you brought up, then fuck that professor. I would report him regardless of whether or not he has tenure.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 13, 2009, 01:12:13 am »
I spoke with the head of the department, all she said was "...well let's not place blame on anyone." Then proceeded to ignore the whole thing and put me into the only other USEM 102 class they have. It mandatory at this school and they wont let me skip it even though I will not be graduating here so now its developed in to this large fiasco.