Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 477988 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #690 on: December 10, 2008, 09:20:31 pm »
There are far worse things you do with the internet that you should be ashamed of, FaustWolf...>_>

...Like spending all my free time on videogame fansites? I do feel weird about it -- people ask me, "So what did you do over Spring Break?" And I'm like, "I, uh, studied. Yeah." They probably suspect I fritter my time on something silly like pron, when in reality I'm hacking Chrono Cross or Trigger. I'm not sure which would be considered more sad amongst the "normal populace." I'm really leading a double life here. But it's fun!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #691 on: December 10, 2008, 09:40:43 pm »
There are far worse things you do with the internet that you should be ashamed of, FaustWolf...>_>

...Like spending all my free time on videogame fansites? I do feel weird about it -- people ask me, "So what did you do over Spring Break?" And I'm like, "I, uh, studied. Yeah." They probably suspect I fritter my time on something silly like pron, when in reality I'm hacking Chrono Cross or Trigger. I'm not sure which would be considered more sad amongst the "normal populace." I'm really leading a double life here. But it's fun!

A life I'm a bit envious of. I should really get onto the hacking scene...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 10, 2008, 10:08:14 pm »
The Compendium's a perfect place to start -- lots of support here. It's really a modder's paradise.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 11, 2008, 08:38:11 am »
I'd like to use Temporal Flux sometime, but the Internet Compie doesn't seem to like it. Maybe because I need an actual ROM on that one... *sigh*

Uh... gripes... this morning they gave me frozen milk with my 'yummies'. I don't know what the 'yummies' are, so I just call them that. They're like hash browns, except instead of potatoes it's ham and egg and cheese. Thus, they are 'yummies'.

Other gripes! Um... Internet is distracting. This is a prime time to do my Mockingbird work. I'm spending it here.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 11, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
B/c of the issues that almost caused my hiatus, I will not be able to play CTDS, though I will be getting the game for X-Mas.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 11, 2008, 03:57:05 pm »
You're lucky. You know you're getting the thing. I don't know what I'm getting, but CTDS and a DS are the first things on my list this year.

Gripes... um... mother is very sick. She says she's been puking a lot. Good news is now I don't have to change out of what I'm wearing (it's a lower than normal cut sweater) to go visit my dad for supper (too revealing for a visit with my dad even though I am his 16-year-old daughter is anything that shows skin on my legs [no skirts], nothing that gives the idea that I have boobs [if anyone says tits or gtfo, I'm going to hurt you in some way], nothing that reveals skin above my boobs [this sweater is not good, because although it is loose, it is a V-neck and shows skin there], nothing that is tight on my butt [these jeans aren't good either], and... actually, he's going to be checking me out no matter what) and now I get to sit and write! Yay!

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 11, 2008, 04:45:13 pm »
My ballroom dance final, supposedly I do not have one. So now I really confused.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 11, 2008, 05:33:21 pm »
Wikipedia is not a credible source due to the fact that the information you're viewing might be either biased or inaccurate, or downright false. You gotta give them credit, it does make sense.

Pfft. On the proper topics, Wikipedia has a lower rate of errors than the Encyclopedia Britannica. If you want information on a popular book, a pop-culture figure, a movie, etc, there is no better place (though it still pays to look through the history to make sure you aren't victim of a recent vandalism attempt, though most instances of vandalism get corrected in less than 10 seconds, on average). The problem comes when it is a topic that no one cares about. Look at the history page and the discussion page and see how many different people participate on that page. If it doesn't look like many people care, then the probability of false information skyrockets.

One just has to keep in mind that Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. It can introduce you to a topic and help you formulate a framework for understanding other sources, and sometimes that is enough. It is a good first step in the research process. And a horrible last step.

Unfortunately, academia frowns on Wikipedia not because of the value of the content, rather it is because the perceived value of the contributors (aka, the unwashed masses). The common public has not jumped through the same hoops that most in academia have, so therefore academia does not want to listen to them and will spurn them.

A shame, really, since places like Wikipedia are incredibly similar to how print culture developed and the Enlightenment got started.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 11, 2008, 11:42:06 pm »
Well, doing it that way IS plagairism. If you quote Wiki which has taken its sources from elsewhere, and only cite those sources, you're in error. You must cite Wikipedia, and if you wish, add in the others as extras in your bibliography. After all, I couldn't just read an article in a journal, and cite someone's sources! No, I have to cite the article itself. Same goes for a book.

This would apply if Wikipedia's referencing mainly aggregated sources and synthesized information without footnotes, but the preferred way is to source every single assertion to the last. If you go to Chrono Trigger's Wikipedia article and click on the number after the sentence talking about the announcement of Chrono Trigger DS, you'll be taken to the listing for the press release. The best Wikipedia articles have everything rigorously tied down,

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:49 am »
I just got to leave the rowing team because I found out I can't afford the $200 a month dues.

And my cat died.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #700 on: December 12, 2008, 12:55:41 am »
wtf? $200?? Do they buy a new friggin boat every month or something? >_>

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 12, 2008, 02:09:27 am »
Well, doing it that way IS plagairism. If you quote Wiki which has taken its sources from elsewhere, and only cite those sources, you're in error. You must cite Wikipedia, and if you wish, add in the others as extras in your bibliography. After all, I couldn't just read an article in a journal, and cite someone's sources! No, I have to cite the article itself. Same goes for a book.

This would apply if Wikipedia's referencing mainly aggregated sources and synthesized information without footnotes, but the preferred way is to source every single assertion to the last. If you go to Chrono Trigger's Wikipedia article and click on the number after the sentence talking about the announcement of Chrono Trigger DS, you'll be taken to the listing for the press release. The best Wikipedia articles have everything rigorously tied down,

And to site one source out of them all is just wrong.

Let's say I write a report where I say "According to Charleston Chew, 'Pluto is a planet'." I've cited where I got that information. Now if someone reads my report and quotes it as "According to this report, 'Pluto is a planet'." Now I should not be the source, Charleston Chew should. But following Daniels logic, it should.

I think.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 12, 2008, 09:05:30 am »
Aw... the kitty died? I'm sorry...

Well, Maud hates me. I gave her a bath last night. She's a skinny little thing... um... Temporal Odyssey has too much going on. I can't keep up. Uh... good news is Maud is clean and my mom is doing better.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 12, 2008, 09:16:29 am »
Well, if you slow up, you're gonna end up left behind.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:15 am »
And to site one source out of them all is just wrong.

Let's say I write a report where I say "According to Charleston Chew, 'Pluto is a planet'." I've cited where I got that information. Now if someone reads my report and quotes it as "According to this report, 'Pluto is a planet'." Now I should not be the source, Charleston Chew should. But following Daniels logic, it should.

I think.

Actually, yes. But it depends on a few factors. If the person summarized your thoughts, they'd cite you. If the person actually went and looked at the original source that you cited and got the information from there, that is what they'd cite. But if you don't check out the actual source, you shouldn't cite it.

This is essentially what history is all about. If you were writing a paper on, say, Tiberius Caesar, you might use a book that cites Tacitus or some other Roman historian. But, unless you actually went and looked at Tacitus' work, you couldn't cite Tacitus, you'd cite the author of that book.

And there are of course different forms of citation. You use footnotes or endnotes to cite specific facts, but then there is the bibliography in which you should cite all the sources you used, even if you didn't get the facts from them specifically. Wikipedia would definitely belong there, even if it might not belong in a footnote.

When in doubt, cite. When not in doubt, cite anyways.