Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 479003 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5295 on: July 30, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »
Fucking Adobe. I can haz version of Flash that works on my system and doesn't have a major unpatched security hole, plz? Sometime this century would be nice.

(For those that don't know, Adobe has decided not to release a 64-bit Linux version of Flash 10.1, leaving me with the choice of either keeping 10.0, which has major security holes, or, well, nothing, since the wrapper that's supposed to let me use a 32-bit plugin in a 64-bit browser has never worked on my system, unless there's some manual symlinking requirement that I missed. Supporting only 32-bit was acceptable five years ago, guys, but those days are long over. Get with the fucking program! And just to add to the fun, Firefox 3.6.4+ appears to hate Flash 10.0, or possibly the combination of the old Flash version and the NoScript extension, I'm not quite sure, but the recommended fix for the symptoms Did Not Work. I have recompiled Firefox four times in the past 24 hours trying to fix this, and in the end, I had to downgrade back to 3.6.3 in order to get YouTube working again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: July 31, 2010, 01:37:03 am »
Fucking Adobe. I can haz version of Flash that works on my system and doesn't have a major unpatched security hole, plz? Sometime this century would be nice.

(For those that don't know, Adobe has decided not to release a 64-bit Linux version of Flash 10.1, leaving me with the choice of either keeping 10.0, which has major security holes, or, well, nothing, since the wrapper that's supposed to let me use a 32-bit plugin in a 64-bit browser has never worked on my system, unless there's some manual symlinking requirement that I missed. Supporting only 32-bit was acceptable five years ago, guys, but those days are long over. Get with the fucking program! And just to add to the fun, Firefox 3.6.4+ appears to hate Flash 10.0, or possibly the combination of the old Flash version and the NoScript extension, I'm not quite sure, but the recommended fix for the symptoms Did Not Work. I have recompiled Firefox four times in the past 24 hours trying to fix this, and in the end, I had to downgrade back to 3.6.3 in order to get YouTube working again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

On the bright side, the new Adobe CS5 Production Suite is awesome. I just spent $1000 (upgrade license), and it's definitely worth it. Their member site and the way they handle software distribution is pretty good too.

Since you're using Linux, you might try eliminating the need for Flash from your everyday activities. 64-bit linux flash has performance issues with rendering fullscreen stuff anyway. The new HTML5 beta on Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/html5 ) supports a good number of videos, and quite a few more sites are already doing the same.

I know the frustration though. Flash on Linux has always been a pain. My big frustration was always trying to run 32-bit Windows VST plugins on 64-bit Linux in a way that's usable with Linux Pro-audio software. I could get 32-bit flash working, but VST plugins in 64-bit Linux is just impossible.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:23 am »
Truth be told, I lived without Flash at all for several years (I've been running a 64-bit Linux system for quite a while now), and will be glad to give it up again once I'm finished with Chrono Helix (while I'm working on it, access to Cross playthrough vids through my primary browser, i.e. not Chromium or 32-bit Firefox, makes my life much easier). What really frustrates me is that this represents a regression on Adobe's part:  Why release any 64-bit Linux version ever if they were going to yank it instead of making a critical bugfix? That's what raises it from the "mild irritation" to the "frustration" category. It gives the appearance of deliberately setting out to screw over people in my position, although I expect that the real explanation is stupidity or laziness rather than malice.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: July 31, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »
I ordered some take out food earlier and got home to find they'd included someone else's order with mine. I didn't bother taking it back. Now I feel horrible because of their mistake.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5299 on: August 06, 2010, 07:34:06 am »
Going to the hospital shortly.  I'm scared.
Although I'm aware of your situation, I don't know if you're going to the hospital for the good thing or for the bad thing. Just hope everything'll be fine at your end and you emerge victorious over the pain. If your heart fears, pat it lightly and tell it, "All is well". You're in the Springtime of Youth, and you'll come through.  :franky Never give up! People need you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_xK9PDFFgc

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: August 14, 2010, 10:21:09 pm »
BAAAH 

I have about 90 minutes to kill before some filming and editing and blahblahblahblah so OF COURSE I'm sitting down to catch some Bears football and -

blackouts?  In the preseason?  C'mooooooooooooon!

I waana just sit like, with some fuckin' mutton and drink mead and make noises and watch football for an hour or so.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAtoughtimes :lol:

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: August 15, 2010, 01:27:39 pm »
So my guitar needs some extra care. I'm going to risk destroying it and do some overhauls. For starters, I'm going to snap off the headstock and glue it back on, since there's an atrocious neck crack and that's the best way to completely fill the crack and seal it. Then I'm going to take out the electronics, add some shielding, and then replace all the pots and wiring and the three way toggle switch. I'll also throw in a kill switch pot for fun. It sounds like there might be a ground loop somewhere too, so hopefully I'll fix that.

The real problem though is that I don't have a backup guitar at the moment.

Oh well. Maybe I'll airbrush it while I'm at it.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:57 pm »
This heat is frustrating. I think my body is a throwback to the ice ages.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5303 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »
Swimming sports gear is fucking neolithic stone age bullshit. Professional goggles are designed with the assumption in mind that no one over 5'10" goes swimming. Latex swim caps are hard as fuck to get on and pull your fucking (wet, even) hair like all fuck.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:00 am »
Found out I didn't make it to the Hollywood Comedy Fest.  But they said they liked me and would send my shit out to bookers.  We'll see.

Some trite nonsense with... :shock:

THE RETURN!  The Scorpion woman strikes again.  Some trite mularkey (yea I'm bringin it back) with her.  Rabble rabble rabble.  She'll choke on the dust I kick up soon enough.

My shower...fell apart a few days ago.  Friggin' ridiculous.  Then today I lost power...in just my bathroom.  Seriously lame.

But this shit ain't even a flesh wound.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:58 am »
The flesh wound is what happens when you try and shave in the dark. =)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: August 20, 2010, 05:15:36 am »
"It's only a flesh wound!"

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: August 20, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »
The flesh wound is what happens when you try and shave in the dark. =)

Ho boy that made me laugh.

Thing is, I could see my dumb ass trying in a rush or something like that.

Ah...haven't seen The Holy Grail in yeeears...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:37 pm »
Maaaan, I haven't seen it in ages either.  I should get on that.  I love that movie.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: August 21, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »
First time I saw that, when the "Intermission" came on I laughed maybe as hard as I've laughed at anything I've ever seen in a movie. They made up for it a few minutes later, when the ending pissed me off as much as anything in any comedy movie I've ever seen has pissed me off. =D

That's what makes Monty Python so great. They're not in it for you. They're in it to get you. Their bread and butter was in the absurdity of surrealism. They never liked to tread the same ground twice; that's part of what made them so brilliant. I think they would frown at the fact that geeks around the world (myself included) today spend so much time quoting the Pythons' stuff verbatim, endlessly reenacting the same beautiful scenes, rather than taking our own guns out in the middle of our own national newscasts and shooting our own wildlife from the rafters of our own television studios.