Author Topic: ZeaLitY's Youtube Guide to Great 80s  (Read 2992 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
ZeaLitY's Youtube Guide to Great 80s
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:56:59 am »
I have two "Perfect 80s" discs, which feature my favorite and most positive songs of the 80s. I just went on a music video downloading binge, so here you go. Thanks to Club977! MsBlack knows how great it is to be doing whatever and suddenly hear an awesome 80s song. It brightens your day! I guess Wang Chung gets a lot of coverage in my list, even with one of their moody pieces. If I could replace something right off, it'd be "Walk Like an Egyptian", because Suzanne Somers's blows. It's like a 4 year old's voice, and not in a cutesy way. Honestly, that song's fallen out of my favor.

Disc One has a couple moody ones because I originally assembled it before realizing that late 80s songs suck. Removing them created a few gaps; I filled most, but had to substitute Wang Chung and something else as well.

Disc One

Notice how anything from 1987 on is missing? Yeah, there's a reason for that. George Harrison is talented enough to be an exception.

Late 80s sucked. Music began dying in the late 80s, replaced by vocalists who could swoon idiot audiences. Vocalists who don't write their material, sing most of their concerts, or have two brain cells to rub together, that is. Instrumentalism's last bastion is rock, but with crap like Nickelback coming out, talent's being pushed even farther back to heavy / true metal. Pop music has been forfeited to worthlessness. It's assimilated everything! No longer does R&B carry funk, or rap challenge with basic melody and complicated lyrics (for the former, think of Tone Loc's Wild Thing or Funky Cold Medina). Even Jazz has been supplanted with the different threat of Kenny G. And country? It died before the others as the new, honky tonk urban cowboy awfulness blasted decent songwriters to smithereens and ostracized them forevermore from the country music establishment.

Disc two tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 04:03:34 am by ZeaLitY »

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: ZeaLitY's Youtube Guide to Great 80s
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »
Awesome! Thanks. As you linked to youtube, I'm guessing you don't mind me linking to raw mp3s: you've encouraged me to make a list too.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 05:09:46 pm »
Disc two rules!

I'll do another bonus round later.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:04:57 pm »
Ms. Black first edition:

Edit: That Rock Lee AMV should have had the scene from Episode 48 I think where he drops his leg weights and even Kakashi is shocked.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:25:49 pm by MsBlack »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:05:32 am »
I am sorry, but you all suck. Here is a list of must have 80's albums:

Add some Michael Jackson, Tom Waits, Joy Division, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr and David Bowie, and there ya have it! Perfect 80s! See, unlike most people, I don't believe synth pop, shitty funk and hair metal were the main 80's genres - I believe instead that post-punk and New Age ruled this great decade. Having never lived through it myself, however, I can't tell how important these genres were during this time.

Oh, and tell me if I missed something I care about.

PS. I know they should've been in youtube links, but it is quite hard to find youtube links with entire albums :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:07:59 am by Burning Zeppelin »

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 04:22:39 am »
As you didn't live through the decade, what gives you grounds to make such brash statments?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 06:46:03 am »
As you didn't live through the decade, what gives you grounds to make such brash statments?
Well, because I have heard a lot of 80's stuff. And it sucked.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:16:28 am »
a) Justify that statement.
b) That answer doesn't cover how you concluded the following:
I don't believe synth pop, shitty funk and hair metal were the main 80's genres - I believe instead that post-punk and New Age ruled this great decade.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 12:25:29 pm »
He's right that some musicians managed to not have fun during the 80s. David Thorpe has the best idea of post punk, since defining punk is hard to do regardless without trying to invoke shattered britpop:

If the term "post-punk" sounds stupid and nondescript to you, you're on the right track. It's tough to describe just what post-punk is. Maybe UK punks realized that they were having too much fun and should concentrate harder on spreading their half-understood notions of Marxism through music. Maybe they thought punk music wasn't abrasive enough, so they felt the need to add some dorky dub basslines and clattering drums. Perhaps it was a pity-based humanitarian effort to create a style of music so ridiculous that not even poor Mark E. Smith would be laughed out of it. However it came to be, post-punk still holds some sort of imaginary relevance to a certain type of guy in cuffed jeans, and quite a few new bands seem to be enthralled by the style's endless possibilities for intellectual posturing; be sure to read the latest issue of NME if you're in the mood to read lazy critics mistake Art Brut or Selfish Cunt's tedious, affected nihilism for cleverness.

Nadir: I once saw a Bauhaus video in which Peter Murphy walked up to a coffin on the stage and threw it open. Light spilled out of it, and he pulled a cape up over his face as if to protect his eyes. Now that's comedy.

Ian Curtis illustrating the vitality of post-punk

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 03:34:26 am »
Ouch. The ol' Ian Curtis pwnage. Well, not all post-punk was dark, gothic and a vehicle for, as he said, half understood Marxism. Television? Wire?

a) Justify that statement.
b) That answer doesn't cover how you concluded the following:
I don't believe synth pop, shitty funk and hair metal were the main 80's genres - I believe instead that post-punk and New Age ruled this great decade.

a) It was pretty shit.
b) Well, I think I came off the wrong way. While those other genres were definetely the most popular, I personally felt the best thing to come out of the 80's were post punk and New Age. You probably don't feel the same way, but I like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Slint, so I'm not exactly normal.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 02:15:04 am »
HELL YES THE AUTOMATIC VIDEO HAS BEEN FIXED!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1130037626879077724&q=prince+automatic&total=28&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

It's a 9 minute tour-de-force of 80s synthesizer Prince (before he did Raspberry Beret and plunged the soundfont of 1999 and his earlier works into the trash can). It's very purple! How magical it would have been to experience in the early 80s...

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 05:24:31 pm »
1983 - Toto - Africa [mp3]

I don't know what it is about this, but every time I hear it, I get an explosion of youth!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 05:40:36 pm »
Yeah, Toto are pretty awesome.

MsBlack

• View Profile