Author Topic: Epigenetics and the appearence of Schala versus Kid (a possible solution)  (Read 6940 times)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Re: Epigenetics and the appearence of Schala versus Kid (a possible solution)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 09:13:44 pm »
Loki, at the end of the game, when Kid and Schala unite, Schala is on the beach and there are no spikes O_o

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 09:25:47 pm »
Could that not be view as purification?

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 12:59:08 am »
....or shaving??
(I definitely prefer purification)

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 05:53:54 am »
*grabs head*  Oh wow, I'm having trouble keeping up with everybody...

I suppose that, depending upon how you view the end of the game, either option is possible.  If you hold that Kid and Schala unite at the end of the game, then there's only two real possibilities.  One, Kid and Schala are the same person divided in two at some point prior to the game.  And two, Kid is an exact genetic replica of Schala--not a daughter by any means of asexual reproduction--but a clone. 

If Kid is produced by any form of asexual reproduction, then her merging with Schala makes no sense whatsoever.  She'd be a complete individual, with an incredibly different genome.  I mean, you can take Nikki and Fargo to fight at the Darkness Beyond Time, but they don't magically bind into one being just because they're father and son.

Now, if you hold that Kid and Schala don't merge, then just about any explanation works.  Kid could be strictly a daughter, a clone, or hybrid-something-or-another.  Doesn't really matter.

Pick your poison, I guess...  *shrug*

Rushingwind, you aren't sounding like a broken record, you just don't get what I meant. I meant the term used was this one to give the meaning of parthenogenesis, since it would mean using only Schala's DNA to create her daughter, meaning the "clone" part would be just symbolic. In other words, the clone there wasnt meaning to be actual clone, just to mean she has Schala's DNA in both sides unlike an usual daughter who would require a father's one, in other words, the "clone" was used there symbolically (the exact opposite of Kyronea's idea, if you still don't get what I mean).

My only problem with this is that it seems like quite a stretch.  I've heard the term 'daughter' used spiritually/symbolically before, but never the word 'clone'. 

I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that I've never heard it before.

By the way, the theory someone gave about she beign clone because she used Schala's DNA at the time but a daughter because not actually her usual DNA but had a little of Lavos, that was quickly revoked (is this the word) by Kid not having spikes... If you notice on the opening movie (before the "press start" screen), when she is facing the sea, we can notice two lighter marks near the elbow of each arm, just like the ones on the face. The ones of the face could be makeup for not beign as easilly recognizable when wearing other clothes and without it, but since I doubt she would need makeup there for wathever reason and they are too equal and symetric to be usual scars, they could be scars of where the spikes were removed.

O_o

No.  Just...no.

Let's approach this another way, then.  If Kid had Lavos' DNA, she would have presumably inherited some of his abilities as well.  If you had Schala as a mother and Lavos as a father, you would be quite formidable in magical combat, and Kid is quite clearly not.

Epigenetic differences withstanding, it's a wonder Kid wouldn't have any of his (or Schala's) magical abilities.

Could that not be view as purification?

Why would it be purification?  Lavos isn't evil just because he's a lavoid, and from the Chrono Cross's standpoint Kid wouldn't be mangled just because she was part lavoid either.  The Chrono Cross unites things and heals hate--it doesn't eradicate a particular species.

Could be that she's just a clone but was meant spiritually as her daughter. In essence, Schala is considering her a daughter even though she's a clone.

This would be the simplest explanation, yes.

Loki Fenrisulf

• Iokan (+1)
  • Darkness Beyond Imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 04:23:12 pm »
*grabs head*  Oh wow, I'm having trouble keeping up with everybody...

I suppose that, depending upon how you view the end of the game, either option is possible.  If you hold that Kid and Schala unite at the end of the game, then there's only two real possibilities.  One, Kid and Schala are the same person divided in two at some point prior to the game.  And two, Kid is an exact genetic replica of Schala--not a daughter by any means of asexual reproduction--but a clone. 

If Kid is produced by any form of asexual reproduction, then her merging with Schala makes no sense whatsoever.  She'd be a complete individual, with an incredibly different genome.  I mean, you can take Nikki and Fargo to fight at the Darkness Beyond Time, but they don't magically bind into one being just because they're father and son.

Now, if you hold that Kid and Schala don't merge, then just about any explanation works.  Kid could be strictly a daughter, a clone, or hybrid-something-or-another.  Doesn't really matter.

Pick your poison, I guess...  *shrug*

Rushingwind, you aren't sounding like a broken record, you just don't get what I meant. I meant the term used was this one to give the meaning of parthenogenesis, since it would mean using only Schala's DNA to create her daughter, meaning the "clone" part would be just symbolic. In other words, the clone there wasnt meaning to be actual clone, just to mean she has Schala's DNA in both sides unlike an usual daughter who would require a father's one, in other words, the "clone" was used there symbolically (the exact opposite of Kyronea's idea, if you still don't get what I mean).

My only problem with this is that it seems like quite a stretch.  I've heard the term 'daughter' used spiritually/symbolically before, but never the word 'clone'. 

I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that I've never heard it before.

By the way, the theory someone gave about she beign clone because she used Schala's DNA at the time but a daughter because not actually her usual DNA but had a little of Lavos, that was quickly revoked (is this the word) by Kid not having spikes... If you notice on the opening movie (before the "press start" screen), when she is facing the sea, we can notice two lighter marks near the elbow of each arm, just like the ones on the face. The ones of the face could be makeup for not beign as easilly recognizable when wearing other clothes and without it, but since I doubt she would need makeup there for wathever reason and they are too equal and symetric to be usual scars, they could be scars of where the spikes were removed.

O_o

No.  Just...no.

Let's approach this another way, then.  If Kid had Lavos' DNA, she would have presumably inherited some of his abilities as well.  If you had Schala as a mother and Lavos as a father, you would be quite formidable in magical combat, and Kid is quite clearly not.

Epigenetic differences withstanding, it's a wonder Kid wouldn't have any of his (or Schala's) magical abilities.

Actually even she beign a clone she merging with Schala makes no sense whatsoever. Or else twins would merge too (homozigotical twins are natural clones).

But I don't get your point about she inheriting Schala's and Lavos' magical abilities... After all, just because someone's parents are good at mechanics or calculations doesn't mean the child will be either, even if both are. That without counting the fact that magical prowess may be inherited, but the ability to use is, like I said without even pointing yet, an ability. That means that she would need to train to get good, even if she has an innate aptitude for it. As Kid said herself when she first met Serge, she just came from the mainland, where almost no-one uses elements, so I see no reason she would be better at it than people who use all the time in El Nido, while Schala used it all the time, both for beign normal in her society and because it was her job, and Lavos... He was a magical killing machine...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 03:49:35 am »
Actually, monozygotic twins are natural clones. A homozygote is the result of two genetically identical gametes merging.

Loki Fenrisulf

• Iokan (+1)
  • Darkness Beyond Imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 06:25:09 pm »
ops... sorry, translation problems.
But you get the idea!
The point is: they beign clones doesn't mean they would merge any more than they not beign actual clones, or else monozygotic twins would too. IF they merged, they did so for another reason, like... they shared the same soul (like Sora and Roxas and Kairi and Naminé in Kindon Hearts 2).

In other words, you can't say some teory is less likely because that would not allow the merging, because even the clone theory doesn't by itself.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
It could be interesting to see what the word used for "daughter-clone" was in the Japanese version of the game, especially so we can compare it with the term "bunshin" (offshoots) used in CT's Japanese version:

http://radical.or.tv/koryaku/lines/opasa.html
http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/meeres/t_ccw26.htm

自らを消し去ろうとしていた
サラさんは、幼いあなたの
泣き声にひかれて、この時代に
自分の分身を生んだのね。
"分身" is another way to write "bunshin".

Quote from: WWWJDIC
分身 【ぶんしん】 (n,vs) parturition; delivery; one's child; branch; offshoot; one's other self; (P); EP