Author Topic: Final Fantasy XI crosses time  (Read 1171 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XI crosses time
« on: July 12, 2007, 11:38:02 am »
After weeks of rumours and intriguing screenshots, Hiromichi Tanaka confirms that time travel will be available in the new FFXI expansion, titled Wings of the Goddess. Players will be able to travel back and forth between Vana'diel and Vana'diel 20 years before the present:

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2007/071107c.html

(For those who might still not be aware, FFXI is developed by the part of the Chrono Trigger/Cross team which didn't migrate to Monolith Soft.)

Thoughts?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XI crosses time
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 01:24:05 pm »

Is FFXI dropping in popularity like WoW?

Magus

• Porrean (+50)
  • ...The Black Wind...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:38:47 pm »
Sounds interesting, but isn't FF XI loosing a lot of popularity, in that matter, which game is more popular, WoW or FF XI?

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 06:55:10 pm »
It sounds really cool, and I'd love to go back, but I don't see the point in paying 10 bucks a month to play a game I'm gonna get addicted to. Plus 20-30 bucks for the new expansion. It's just not worth it to me anymore. Plus I think my character is long gone, and starting from scratch in FFXI is not easy.

Sounds interesting, but isn't FF XI loosing a lot of popularity, in that matter, which game is more popular, WoW or FF XI?

I'd say WoW is more popular. It definitely has a ton more players than FFXI does. Millions more actually. FFXI was dieing when I left, but this expansion ought to keep it around a bit longer.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:17:46 pm »
"Look at us! We're better than WoW! We've got TIME TRAVEL!"

Bah. The only MMO I ever played was EverQuest, mainly because WoW tends to be full of horribly rude people who all want to play by themselves, which isn't the point to an MMO. EverQuest people were nice.

But then I started hating the game because it was completely pointless.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:45:27 am »
"Look at us! We're better than WoW! We've got TIME TRAVEL!"

Bah. The only MMO I ever played was EverQuest, mainly because WoW tends to be full of horribly rude people who all want to play by themselves, which isn't the point to an MMO. EverQuest people were nice.

But then I started hating the game because it was completely pointless.

everyone in wow plays by themselves because its one of the few ways to avoid the masses of kids.
any MMO that forces you to raid or party for everything tends to degrade to that simply because of the annoying kids who play.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:42:32 pm »
I'd say WoW is more popular. It definitely has a ton more players than FFXI does. Millions more actually. FFXI was dieing when I left, but this expansion ought to keep it around a bit longer.

Tanaka claims there are still a tons of people playing FFXI, but of course as the game's producer he wouldn't admit the contrary anyway: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159493

Quote from: Hiromichi Tanaka
As long as there are people playing we're going to make new content.

There are still people playing Chrono games too; make new Chrono content please! :x

Zue

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
I'm new to this community, and decided to join for two main reasons:

One, I'm a dearly enraptured CT series fan, and would love to help the cause for a new installment in anyway I'm able.

Two, I also enjoy the alternate evil, and play FFXI, and thought I could offer helpful insight into the game itself, as well as it's many forums.

On the topic of FFXI's latest expansion, it's entitled "Wings of the Goddess" and involves going back in time to what was known as the Crystal War. I personally am excited to see how the remaining CT team handles time travel in FFXI, but am saddened that they are not permitted to work on the type of time travel I'm sure they've always wanted to.

As for FFXI numbers; they're steady and actually growing slightly. WoW has by far more subscribers for many reasons, including heavy advertising, something of which SE does not do for FFXI anymore. People as a whole in the FFXI community are excited for the upcoming expansion and ability to travel back in time.

One interesting thing to bring to light are the similarities FFXI and CT share, such as monsters, characters, and storylines. Compare a Nu to a Goobue or the Zilart to the Kingdom of Zeal.

Ultimately, the Zilart who were more intellectually advanced than the earth dwellers, arose their great city into the sky, as they funneled the energy from the planet's crystals. Their grand achievement was an undersea palace, their capital which is dubbed "Al'Taieu" in the game but called "sea" for short, as it was a part of the planet's surface, which was effectively either dimensionally relocated or sunken to the bottom of the ocean, where it remains forever protected and timeless, housing the main palace of the Zilartian royalty.

The CT team is at work, however subtly.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 10:17:24 am »
Yeah, I noticed these similarities while reading some FFXI story FAQ; but there's so much stuff, I never read all of it. It would be nice that, when FFXI "dies", the developers convert it into an offline game so that the broader public can actually get a taste of it. This would probably be a great thing to play that way, even if a bit awkward (couldn't be worse than FFXII anyway).

Zue

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 01:11:18 pm »
It's even amazing to me to note the similarities of the "final" boss of the Zilart storyline, and Lavos Humanoid form. Both have their guardian orbs. The orbs basically do the same thing in both FFXI and CT. Lavos demonstrates his control over the fabric of time, whereas the Zilart shows his ultimate connection to and power over the proto crystals, both time and crystals being what drives either story. I'll try to find more similarities in my spare time I guess.