Author Topic: Farewell to GrayLensman  (Read 2349 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Farewell to GrayLensman
« on: July 12, 2007, 01:05:07 am »
No, I don't have any news about him, nor has he been to the site since last September. But I just want to say goodbye to close this chapter. Ramsus once said that as forums evolve, A people bring in A and B people, then leave; B people bring in B and C people, then leave, and so on until the forum is ravaged. That's not quite the case with the Compendium (yet), but GrayLensman is definitely a founding father and invaluable contributor to the site. He really deserved the title of Guru of Reason, as Chrono'99 does to earn it from him. His absence has always hung in the back of my mind.

Anyway, let's wish him well, wherever he went. As he said in a magic thread:

What do you find so obvious about this fact?

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell to GrayLensman
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 01:20:06 am »
Well I came at a time post GrayLensman, but his work was noticed by me from the start.

To our founding fathers. May they not be forgotten.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:29:24 am »
Well, I never met him personally, but I've read his posts on lots of Chrono hypothesis and theories, and he really was an important part of what made this site what it was. As such, I raise my water bottle to him. (I'd raise a glass but I rarely drink out of one.)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 04:29:34 am »
An intelligent and important poster from earlier days. I hope whatever he's doing in his life now is bringing him happiness.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:06:58 am »
GrayLensman was awesome. Contributed greatly, and I can say that truthfully after reading many of his posts.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:09 am »
His posts were always intelligent and awesome. While I do have the Guru of Reason rank, it's for slightly different subjects than GrayLensman, and I'm still amazed like everybody else at the scientificness and the particularly high level of precision that he always put in his theories and explanations.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:46:01 pm »
He helped me out when I was but a no0b, and then he one day, just disappeared. I talked to him once before, he told me he had a lot of work, so he could get on that much anymore.

So Gray, I say "goodbye olde chap".

TOPIC LOCKED

lolz

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:43:13 pm »
Definitely a big part of the Compendium's success, and his absence is heavily felt.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 05:47:09 am »
I've been wondering where all the heavy weight Compendiumites have gone. Gray, Legend of the Past, V (well, not really gone, but he doesn't post much), Kazuki, Hadriel...argh, the list goes on. Oh well, see ya Gray, wherever ye have gone.

I remember him most by his signature BOLD ITALIC SIZE 15 CAPITAL words.

One thing we must ask ourselves: what ever will happen to the Compendium now that it is in the hands of iron fist dictators like Lord J esq?

Just kidding.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 03:19:55 pm »
One thing we must ask ourselves: what ever will happen to the Compendium now that it is in the hands of iron fist dictators like Lord J esq?

The real question is, What will we do when J leaves too?

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 03:46:19 pm »

We will feast and party for 7 days and 7 nights. Then we'll cry.  :(

Lu Su

• Guardian (+100)
  • Im an EVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 09:00:09 am »

We will feast and party for 7 days and 7 nights. Then we'll cry.  :(

fools when Lord J leaves that the time to take over but until then we must hide *hides*
but i can't see him leaving

and cya GrayLensman
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:08:58 am by Lu Su »

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 01:27:48 am »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
Most of the things he had to add to the discussions went right over my head, which, by itself is no great accomplishment, but the things he had to say delved deep into the Chrono series and we have a lot of the good Chrono analysis threads thanks to him. Plus, he wasn't an a-hole, so that's always a plus.

I stopped posting so much when my comp went AWOL...or, wait, maybe it was FUBAR...then I got behind on all of the analysis & character threads and have since been mostly just posting in the mostly nonsensical general topics forum...V_V

Here's one more who hopes he comes back!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:46:29 pm »
I got sidetracked updating by digging up old posts last night and reliving the glory days, when Chrono Break still seemed possible, CE was just being hatched, and "the work" of creating the Compendium still lay ahead. I found a few great Lensman quotes in the process:

ZEALITY REX!! PAX CHRONO!!!

I discovered the original incarnation of the Chrono Compendium at the OCR forums Chrono thread back in 2003.  Being a big CT fan, I was really interrested in the discussion, and I made this first post:

Spekkio stated that magic is split up into four separate elements and that all things, not just magic, are made of a balance of those elemental powers. This implies that anything, mass or energy, can be decomposed into elements and thus magic. If anything can be converted in to magic, then there is no need for a special source like Lavos or the Sun Stone. If the conversion is anything like E=mc^2, even a drop of water would carry quite a wallop.

The game never really explains where magic energy used in techs comes from. There is evidence, however, that Lavos gave the ability to use magic to the Humans and Mystics. The prime example being that Ayla cannot use magic because she was born before Lavos' arrival.

Lavos would have genetically altered those races to use magic to increase its own, already immense, magical power. The Enlightened Ones of Zeal were born with magical ability and could use it at will. After the destruction of Zeal, Lavos wised up, and made the talent dormant in humans, hence the need for Spekkio to unlock the talent in Crono and co.

In conclusion, magic is just an ordinary physical process. Lavos gave Humans and Mystics the ability to use magic for its own benefit. But the elemental powers do not stem from Lavos any more that the power of nuclear fusion does. The actual energy used in techs may come from Lavos, the Sun Stone, the Mammon Machine, or Crono's left boot for all we know.

Quote from: ZeaLitY
GrayLensman is ageless, an eternal ancient unbothered by the ravages of the unidirectional space-time continuum.

No idea what sparked me to say that.

I AM THE ENTITY!!!!!

Rock Lee is Zeality's favorite character.

If Zeality wants a Rock Lee smiley, he damn well gets one.

Quote from: ZeaLitY

There, you did it again.

For you, Zeality, anything.

Yeah, this thread is too stupid, even for general discussion.

Topic Locked

I've seen it.

I don't want to look at it ever again.

I don't want to talk about it.

I don't want to think about it.

For shame, you made Zeality mad.  You guys had better edit all the insults and profanity out of your posts.

I'm always up for a good debate, although social and political issues are much more fruitful topics for discussion.  If you resolve that Continental Drift does not occur, it will be a very short debate. :)

I always like to think things through logically, and I guess that's why I'm called the Guru of Reason.  Zeality's dream is for this site to be a mecca of enlightenment and I actively pursue that goal.  Don't take it personally, but if I see anything that looks wrong in this forum (analysis), I'm going to correct it.

Thank you, Zeality.  Fifty members!  This site is starting to really take off.

Going through the old posts reminded me just how incredibly important he was to establishing our initial analysis and also setting the tone for the entire site. He really reinforced our dream of being the ultimate in everything. We'll have to make him a retroactive Entity emeritus or something.