Author Topic: The Red Lucca Gate  (Read 11300 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: The Red Lucca Gate
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 10:53:29 am »
oh! on top of that.. did anyone see a gate key get used on the red gate.?

It was already open. A Gate Key wasn't required.

DMagusEdwards

• Porrean (+50)
  • Kill...Loot...Repeat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 01:31:58 pm »
I thought it (Gate Key) was because it made the 'Gate chime' sound effect.  I dont think the two Gates that the player uses without the sound were the ones that sucked Marle, then Crono, into 600 AD at the beginning.

Apococlock

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • The Third Faction
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 08:32:41 am »
Ooh, I just played through CT the other day, and this very question sprung to mind. It's unfortunate that they give us such little information about it.

While it is plausible that Lavos was responsible for this special red gate, it wouldn't make all that much sense in the long run. Logically speaking Lavos nor the planet would have any reason to do this, as it only really seems to benefit the family itself. The only reason I can see Lavos trying to stop Lucca's interest in mechanics would be to stop her from building here teleportation device, which inevitably would be the start of the entire journey, assuming the gates wouldn't have been opened some other way.

And that may all make plenty of sense, but the effect I got from the red gate and that whole scenario was some "special" force was responsible for it, not covered by the game itself. Which would be indicated by it's color and how it related only to Lucca. Another reason I say this is because she seemed to know it was there as if it were calling her. I wondered about it when she just sprung up out of her sleep and ran into the woods, it seems as if she knew it was there already. Think about it, how many scenarios would you run into the darkness of the woods by yourself other than to, oh I don't know, relieve yourself. Also, thinking back she seemed to be acting kind of weird during that whole event (don't hold me to that one, I can't remember all that well).

So, Lavos? Special Force? Planet? You're guess is as good as mine, either way it had little effect on anything aside from slight changes in the family for the better, which is why I think it was some other party we're unaware of.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 10:36:53 am »
I still think it was lavos....With the plan that stopping the tradgedy would stop her intrest in machines.... and perhaps he made the gate so that it bypasses time travelers immunity in the hopes that the change would be significant enough to change time and since the rest of the crew was not time traveling... even if it did not bypas tti they would have changed with the time line change.. and since nothing was significantly changed it did not happen. Although Proto seemed to have an idea of what was going on when she came out of the gate.

Perhaps also ((if it was)) lavos made the gate to force her to watch it again in an attempt to break her will. The entire endeavor would not have gone well without lucca... almost impossible if you count her brain power in to the figuring things out.

My 2 and a half cents

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 04:20:11 pm »
Is it actually stated Lucca made the Telepod? Taban was pretty clever too, maybe he made it.

Kletian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2007, 11:55:21 pm »
In the fair it was called Lucca's crazy invention not her dad's invention.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:16 am »
Hmm yeah you're right, I remember now.

Zariel

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 05:18:50 pm »
Well, I have some sort of personal theory for that, but still is pretty weak.

Maybe, and just maybe the gate it's made by Lucca.
You see, the planet, entity or whatever can create gates to relive it's memories and somehow try to improve them. Why, well... that's another topic.

The point in here is that maybe that gate it's different, because it doesn't relive a key-moment of the planet, it only change a point (a key point) in Lucca's life.
Obviously we can discuss the nature of the creator of the gate, but still it fuels from Lucca own memory.

Because of this, we can see two possible scenarios. (in fact there are a lot more, but I'll put the two great and more human ethical ones)

Good Scenario (A.K.A "The entity way"): In this possible solution, the gate it's fueled by the entity in an attempt to show Lucca an example of what it's doing. By helping his mom, probably Lucca gains a bit more understanding about the entity nature, early discussed, and why the gates and all the adventure took place.
This also leads to the fact that, besides what happens, the true power of fate it's ruled by intentions, free will and inner strengh... more than events, although these are obvioulsy important. (Such as what happens with the masamune after the ghost sidequest)

Bad Scenario (A.K.A "Lavos way"): In this possible solution, the gate it's fueled by Lavos in an attempt to stop Lucca from starting all the menace that the journey implies.
Still, things goes sour and besides the result, Lucca still become what she is... although her own motivation it's fueled by two different event... making probably a slight change, not in the events... but in her way to see the world.
The same fact it's re-stated in this explanation, inner strengh and free will are the true source of fate.

We can still think other way to see this event... and think that the entity itself created this gate, while all the other gates are created by the planet/Lavos struggle, in which the party it's a kind of inmunological system... or arbiter.
Maybe it's a gift, after all the long way and work Lucca has done. (Yeah, the party has seen and suffered a lot, but Lucca is probably the only one with the caliber to see the events behind that gate)

Of course this is just a silly theory... so there should be a lot flaw points.
Well, that's all.

Bye

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 04:42:52 pm »
It is not all that improbable that the Entity was showing benevolence to the party, for 'healing' a large patch of the land.  Consider the following:

Desert - a patched of scorched Earth.  Life does not prosper here.  The common picture of the skull in the sand comes to mind.
Forest - Luscious, healthy, life in abundance. 

Stumpy Lara - continuous state sadness, regret, depression.  Does not contribute to a healthy happy life.

Long-legged Lara - happy, 'full of life', feeling sexy for Taban

Simply put,

Desert - Bad
Forest - Good

No legs - Bad
Yes Legs - Good

You scratch the Entities back, and it could scratch yours too.  As for why it picked Luca; as far as we know she had the toughest childhood out of them all, so she is deserving of such a chance to correct that tragic event.  And for the red colour of the Gate, that could be explained as the Entity reaching for Luca, by calling to her innate Fire (which usually is red, among other similar colours) abilities.    Or something along those lines

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
That pretty much hits it on the nail for me, flacid-er, placidchap. I never thought about Lucca's Magic Element before...Though does that open up questions of the Entity's Element being Water? lol

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 10:23:27 am »

flacid-er

Had a chuckle there...Trans_Vestite-er, V_Translanka

As for the Entity's element being water, that certainly makes sense, considering the general consensus is that the Entity is the planet.  Water is the source of life.  Water covers most of the planet.  So water being innate to the Entity is quite likely.  Which is why blue is the colour of the gates. 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
Not to mention all of the water crap that's talked about in the species origin in Chrono Cross...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:25 am »
i just always assumed that the entity made it just for lucca.  like to be super nice.  seriously.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 12:47:42 am »
Skimmed the tread, so forgive me if this has been brought up already, but didn't they make it pretty clear that the sapling used in Fiona's forest had magical properties? So the forest itself is ripe for magical goings-on such as one-time gates. It could be similar to the magic used in the Time Egg and other items, where a person's will and desire counts.

Most of the PCs in Trigger had crappy pasts, but they either got over it or gave up except for Lucca, and being reminded of it during the conversation could have contributed.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 02:43:57 pm »