Author Topic: The Red Lucca Gate  (Read 11305 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: The Red Lucca Gate
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 05:13:16 pm »
Well, the planet certainly isn't bound to any laws. If it traverses time, then it'd be dead at any given point until the EoT, unless Lavos never really killed it off.
Oh you don't want to start up that whole argument again, do you?

The Planet does not travel through time itself. It is a linear entity bound by linear time as much as anyone else. It can utilize temporal Gates to allow others to travel through time--and perhaps travel through time temporarily by extending its consciousness through the Gates, but it does not exist as a non-linear entity.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 12:05:39 pm »
but it can obviously forsee exactly what is going to happen to it and to its alternate versions.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 02:40:32 pm »
but it can obviously forsee exactly what is going to happen to it and to its alternate versions.
No, it cannot, and I do not see where you get this idea from.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 07:08:36 pm »
if it couldnt see what was going to happen it would have no idea to pull dinopolis back, now would it? This in and of itself combined with the theory that it is aware of other dimensional versions of itself leads to the theory that while the planet is linear it sees forward and backward.. and can errect gates to change history to save itself.. even though in 2300 ad in the japanese version of the game mother brain states that the planet given enough time would recover.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 08:10:47 pm »
Or the planet could be like our guru of reason over there and just predicted certain events, If a crackpot old fool could why not the planet?

stenir

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
if it couldnt see what was going to happen it would have no idea to pull dinopolis back, now would it? This in and of itself combined with the theory that it is aware of other dimensional versions of itself leads to the theory that while the planet is linear it sees forward and backward.. and can errect gates to change history to save itself.. even though in 2300 ad in the japanese version of the game mother brain states that the planet given enough time would recover.

Well, let's see here, the entity making the statement that given enough time the planet would recover is not the planet itself, but mother brain. I guess that alone makes enough sense. I think the fact that the planet was able to know about other versions of itself is farfetched, but isn't impossible. There's just no evidence to back it up.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 08:49:33 pm »
no evidence??? it yanked dinopolis from an alternate future... That in and of itself is proof

DMagusEdwards

• Porrean (+50)
  • Kill...Loot...Repeat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 02:27:56 pm »
I think I have a solution to the problem. Its a simple matter of balance. Chronopolis was based on an alternate future (happy Chronoland Keystone timeline), as was Dinopolis (Happy Chronoland Reptite timeline). Now, both Poli (plural of polis) were massive amounts of 'data' (people and objects), which would cause a huge disruption in time if moved (time crash, dead sea, etc.). The laws of time would require a seperate time crash along with the main one to balance the continuum. Similar to this:

Imagine time a scale. The actual scale itself is the continuum, and the cups for weighing are the Poli. If you add a large amount of weight to one side, the other would tip. If the imbalance is large enough, it could even break the scale. Now, assume you add, oh, maybe 5 pounds (Chronopolis) to one side. Time wants itself to remain as equal as possible, so you must add 5 more pounds (Dinopolis) to the other. Now the scales have been equalized.

So, Dinopolis HAD to be pulled back to balance the shift caused by Chronopolis.

BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE RED GATE?!?!?!?!?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 09:42:36 pm »
I think I have a solution to the problem. Its a simple matter of balance. Chronopolis was based on an alternate future (happy Chronoland Keystone timeline), as was Dinopolis (Happy Chronoland Reptite timeline). Now, both Poli (plural of polis) were massive amounts of 'data' (people and objects), which would cause a huge disruption in time if moved (time crash, dead sea, etc.). The laws of time would require a seperate time crash along with the main one to balance the continuum. Similar to this:

Imagine time a scale. The actual scale itself is the continuum, and the cups for weighing are the Poli. If you add a large amount of weight to one side, the other would tip. If the imbalance is large enough, it could even break the scale. Now, assume you add, oh, maybe 5 pounds (Chronopolis) to one side. Time wants itself to remain as equal as possible, so you must add 5 more pounds (Dinopolis) to the other. Now the scales have been equalized.

So, Dinopolis HAD to be pulled back to balance the shift caused by Chronopolis.

BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE RED GATE?!?!?!?!?

This reminds me of dreamfall: the longest journey, in which two separate worlds exist one pure law in which science, and technology ruled.  In the other world the laws of physics didn't always hold up and that brought about magic. The game had a vary good reasoning as to why there was no magic in the world of law, and technology was able to pass early renaissance tech in the world of magic. That theory could work here, but I think I would butcher it so I try to find a link to an article about it

jihnsius

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 06:01:02 am »
It might've just been me, but I got the impression that the red gate scene was a dream. If it weren't a dream, wouldn't Lucca's actions have changed her future completely?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:30 am »
It's not a dream. You can observe the changes in Lara from then on in the game.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 10:58:13 am »
Time travlers immunity and time bastard. Even if it did changer her future It would not have affected her because the aft of tiem traveling itself dislocates the travler from the consequences of their own actions. And the "new" lucca would have been replaced by the original upon entry into 1000 ad. On top of that if you read all the papers in that sequence after you saved lara Her decision to learn machinery remaiend constant even though her mother was saved, there was jus ta slight change in reason.

DMagusEdwards

• Porrean (+50)
  • Kill...Loot...Repeat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 12:32:53 pm »
So, in short, that means if Lavos did make the Gate, it wouldnt have had any effect and would have backfired (helping Lucca instead of setting her brain on frapee)?

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 02:59:35 pm »
I believe the only reason it was red was because the game developers wanted the players to know it was a special gate. The color of the gate probably had no cannonical signifigance, especially because you never see another "red gate" in the course of the series.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:04 am »
not even the gates that dragged the guru's were red.. oh! on top of that.. did anyone see a gate key get used on the red gate.?