Author Topic: Fabulous Mystic Style  (Read 3739 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Fabulous Mystic Style
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:38:02 pm »
Most fans can agree that between the naked man-god in Magus's bedroom, the "all it's missing is a clit stimulator" castle design, and our most beloved cod piece, whoever was in charge of style for the Mystic Army was most likely a flaming 'mo.

My queery for you, dear forumers... who was in charge?

THEORY THE FIRST: Magus was compensating so hard. So very, very hard.

THEORY THE SECOND: Ozzie implemented all the architectural and costume decisions based on what he believed was cool. Magus didn't really care either way.

THEORY THE THIRD: Flea. 'nuff said.

...Erm, also, I'm new. Hello!

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Re: Fabulous Mystic Style
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:47:26 pm »
Whats a "flaming 'mo"?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:06:03 pm »
Whats a "flaming 'mo"?

Short for 'homosexual'.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:07:15 am »
I know that a homosexual person was meant, I just don't know if the "'mo" part is a shortend word, like "ho-mo". And I never got that "flaming"/"flamer" thing anyways, and it's a bad idea to ask my teacher(because it's most likely not a polite expression).

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:28:54 pm »
I know that a homosexual person was meant, I just don't know if the "'mo" part is a shortend word, like "ho-mo". And I never got that "flaming"/"flamer" thing anyways, and it's a bad idea to ask my teacher(because it's most likely not a polite expression).
It's probably something uniquely American when it comes to that...I've not seen it used by others in any other country either. How we came up with it though...I have no idea. Could be it was based on a homosexual celebrity--like, say, Richard Simmons.

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
  • Need you not a swordsman?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:01:07 pm »

While the 'mo part I assumed is a simple abbreviation of homosexual, I would venture a guess that the flaming part, in this context both refers to the notion of a homosexual as being "flaming" or a "flamer" while it also is a loose reference to a Simpsons episode wherein Homer invents an alcoholic beverage and Moe, the bartender, steals it, calling it a Flaming Moe.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:36:23 pm »
An American friend of mine told me that it means more or less "A homosexual person that overly expresses his/her 'direction'"...well....overly expressed is a point of view.
Wasn't the name/synonym "Flamer" even before that simpson episode? Maybe "flaming 'mo" just "fit"...

Oh, and not sorry for being extremly offtopic, because the stuff said in the first post is just...well...something not serious I think...
Maybe split and move to GD?

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 04:00:30 pm »

In that case, maybe flamer came into the lexicon as a shortened form of flamboyant?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 04:17:08 pm »
Flamer came from the Internet concept of a "flame war" wherein people no longer argue coherently, instead choosing to hurl insults at or "burn" one another. A flamer is a lamer what likes flame wars.

Flaming homosexuals are a different thing, although the line has been crossed many times due to the word "gay" taking on a more "it sucks" kind of meaning.

If I rephrase the question it could make for decent discussion, huh? Did Magus design his castle or was it someone else?

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:26:29 pm »

I dunno, I think etymology is a fascinating subject.  Or is that the one about bugs?  Entomology?  I always get them mixed up.  I think etymology is the word one.

Anyhow, I'd imagine Magus was responsible for the design of that castle.  I can't think of anyone else in the game with the abilities to have done so.  Unless it was an army of unnamed, independent contractors.  I hope they got outta there before the walls come tumblin' down, unlike their counterparts on the Death Star.

For a more detailed discussion about the ethical ramifications fo taking on such building projects and the potential hazards of doing so, see Clerks.

Heh heh.

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 04:28:44 pm »

Mind you, if the style consultant for the Mystic Army was, as you so elequently put, a "flaming 'mo", think of what an amazing reality program it could have been!  Queer Eye for the Straight Villain.

Man, I'd like a few before and after shots of that.

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 08:28:06 am »
I like this topic!

Magus had to design all the bits of the castle that relate to summoning Lavos, that's a certainty. And as we can see, if from nothing from the summoning the party so rudely interrupts, he does have a flair for the dramatic. Given that his henchmen tend to be blundering fools when it comes to traps/fortifications, I'd say he set up the inimitably spooky maze that is Magus's Castle.

I do, however, assume he handed some decorating duties over to Flea and Ozzie.

Hrm. Would Queer Eye for the Straight Anti-Hero be too spoilerish?

Also, do we have any indication that Magus is, in fact, straight?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 08:36:47 am »

Hrm. Would Queer Eye for the Straight Anti-Hero be too spoilerish?
Yes.
Also, do we have any indication that Magus is, in fact, straight?
And now I am offended. You just comitted an awful act by assuming all gay men must be fantastic designers, and that all straight men must be horrible designers, when, in fact, as with everything else, it all depends on the individual.

But to answer your question, we really have no evidence pointing to any direction for him, be it homosexual, heterosexual, asexual, or what have you. Just judging by general statistics, however, I'd say he's probably heterosexual.

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

Ahh, deference to statistics.  I love it!  Yes, with the ratio being pegged (usually) at about 9:1, odds are Magus likes the ladies.  I suppose some people might point out all the purple as evidence, or the fact that it's a single guy with a cat, but as purple is my favorite colour and I have a cat, I can explode those myths (purple's not gay, it's regal!).

Bosh with the taking offense!  If people tip-toe around PC issues, conversation gets stifled, and that's wicked lame.  Besides, if someone had made the implication that gay men make excellent designers and straight men make lousy ones within the context of a sitcom, we'd all have a good laugh.  Just because conversation's taking place on the internet doesn't mean we should presume everything is intended to offend, or worse yet, that innocent statements are inherently hateful.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 04:18:16 pm »
Indeed, purple was once associated with royalty. Thus all the purple in Zeal. Magus' orientation is unknown. Presumably it has been pushed to the side in his monomaniacal quest to destroy Lavos.