Author Topic: How Does Serge Cause the Destruction of the Future?  (Read 5383 times)

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
How Does Serge Cause the Destruction of the Future?
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:34:01 pm »
I know this has been addressed in the past, but I'm curious to know if any other theories have been formulated besides the "Armageddon-Branch" Theory.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: How Does Serge Cause the Destruction of the Future?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:05:41 pm »
Serge's existance could cause a whole variety of different factors to come into play. It's possible that he may, for instance, prevent the creation of Robo, who was a key element in the defeat of Lavos. He might have also made it impossible for the Wings of Time to be completed in the ruined future, thanks to his presence affecting one person affecting another and so on and so forth eventually resulting in certain technologies not being developed until after 1999 when it would be too late.

Unfortunately those are the only two ways apart from the Armageddon-Branch theory I can come up with that he could affect. Unless Serge could somehow affect past events from his existance in 1020 A.D.--which is impossible--I don't see anything else.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:20:27 am »
......In other words(just three words) no one knows. We have theories, but we cant tell if they are true. Perhaps he eventually reaches the mainland and stopped some important event from happening.

stonegarden

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:48:47 am »
then isn't it schala's fault? i mean... she saved him

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 02:40:25 am »
true but who said she knew the repracutions of what she did or she knew that if she married him that it wouldn't happen.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:33:53 am »
It is not Schala's fault at all. Serge died and created another world, but Kid travelled back and saved him, creation Home World. Plus, who cares if Home World has a ruined timeline, Another World is the real one.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:19:59 am »
Serge's existance could cause a whole variety of different factors to come into play. It's possible that he may, for instance, prevent the creation of Robo, who was a key element in the defeat of Lavos. He might have also made it impossible for the Wings of Time to be completed in the ruined future, thanks to his presence affecting one person affecting another and so on and so forth eventually resulting in certain technologies not being developed until after 1999 when it would be too late.

ok conisdering the wings of time did not get completed until 2300 ad.. and balthazar was teleported directly to that time period and location. I Doubt anything odne in the past would have that big of an effect considering he could have built the damn thing from scrap... we wasnt a guru for nothing

'The destruction they are speaking of is Serge killing The time devourer making him evolve further((IMHO)) and destroying everything

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:02:40 pm »

ok conisdering the wings of time did not get completed until 2300 ad.. and balthazar was teleported directly to that time period and location. I Doubt anything odne in the past would have that big of an effect considering he could have built the damn thing from scrap... we wasnt a guru for nothing

Belthesar is not a god. He cannot just create stuff out of thin air. He needs resources and materials to construct the Wings of Time...even if he scrounged it up from so many different places, he still needed it. The changes I referred to might have made it impossible for him to gather sufficient materials, or perhaps a specific amount of one material that was essential to the ship. (Since we don't know what it's built out of we can't say what that might be.)

'The destruction they are speaking of is Serge killing The time devourer making him evolve further((IMHO)) and destroying everything

Care to clarify here? Destroying the Time Devourer would get rid of it entirely...it wouldn't somehow make him "evolve" (The word you are looking for here is advance or mutate, not evolve) and destroy everything.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:23 pm »
if you remember the only true way to destroy him was to release schala

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 10:51:09 am »
Not true. The destruction of the Time Devourer through other means would have resulted in killing Schala, but it would have definitely destroyed the Time Devourer as well. The release of Schala is merely integral to getting the "good ending" or rather, how you're supposed to do it from a gameplay perspective.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 05:59:13 am »
The "Good Ending" is the True Ending.

Loki Fenrisulf

• Iokan (+1)
  • Darkness Beyond Imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 11:21:49 pm »
Actually, I developped a theory of my own (it was thanks to this theory I found out about this site):

(By the way, sorry if you don't understand what I say sometimes, it's because english is not my native language)

Serge is Lavos.
Yeah, I know it doesn't make much sense right now, but keep reading...
Well, somewhere (I can't recall exactly where right now) you are said that whoever touches the Frozen Flame either burst into flames himself or becomes something different.
We know Wasuki became Lynx because he was affected by the Frozen Flame when it was curing Serge, and then FATE took advantage of it, turning him into it's puppet and, after some time, into Lynx.
But, as far as we can see, the only change in Serge was he being cured, and turning him into the Arbiter.
There are many places where Serge is mentioned to "merge" with the Time Destroyer.
So here is where the teory takes place:
Not beign killed by Lynx, Serge would grow, and be more and more affected by the Frozen Flame. Sometime, he would either live A LOT or enter a freakingly long sleep, until the Day of Lavos. By that time, he would either be turned in a Lavos Spawn strong enough to destroy the world like the first Lavos was supposed to have, or merge with the dead body of Lavos (unwillingly, probably), bringing it back to life. Either way, the Chrono Trigger team would not expect a second Lavos, so they would not the there to fight him, and he would destroy the world without interferences.
This is why Serge was the one that HAD to save Schala, while anyone else could be the one Belthasar sent. By choosing to try to free Schala Serge avoided bringing lavos back, because: 1- He would die as once happenes, and Lavos would not be able to merge with him, or 2- He would use the Chrono Cross, and the music would ressonate and separate Schala and Lavos AND Serge and the Frozen Frame's power.
If the Chrono Cross is not used, nothing changes, and Serge becomes Lavos in Home world's future.

...A little too farfetched (is that the word?)?

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:14:14 am »
^
No, it never said that Serge merge with the Time Devourer.
He is only said to to one day merge with the Time Devourer.
And that doesn't work out because the moment he went to Another World, it would have been doomed to be destroyed if he was going to live forever and one day turn into Lavos.

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 10:58:21 am »
Belthesar is not a god. He cannot just create stuff out of thin air. He needs resources and materials to construct the Wings of Time...even if he scrounged it up from so many different places, he still needed it. The changes I referred to might have made it impossible for him to gather sufficient materials, or perhaps a specific amount of one material that was essential to the ship. (Since we don't know what it's built out of we can't say what that might be.)

Quote from: Dalton
Is that ship out there yours? It looks JUST like the one Belthesar was working on!

Belthesar was able to create the epoch using technology from 12000 B.C. As you recall, they had no electricity, so it probably runs off of magic. In that case, Belthesar wound not have necesarrily needed to make it out of any PARCTICULAR substance. All that would matter would be that he used the right spells to allow it to function, whether it's made of metal, rock, paper, or anything else.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 11:18:53 am »
No, that's not how that sort of thing works, and I daresay they did have electricity, given that the Ocean Palace and all of Zeal bears a striking resemblance to a technological society, the only difference being that they use magic as their primary source of energy.

Furthermore, as I've repeatedly told Zaper, magic cannot just do anything you want it to do, or else it'd have been easy for Lavos to be magicked away without a need for Chrono and the gang. Magic has its own rules, its own limitations and capabilities...it's powerful, yes, but it is not something that can just violate everything and do absolutely anything it wants, at least not in the Chronoverse, since we've had no demonstration of magic's capability of doing that sort of thing.