Author Topic: Recipe Compendium  (Read 2347 times)

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Recipe Compendium
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:32:24 pm »
It started with an innocent query of mine, in the "Ask me anything" thread started by Lord J esp: a request for a recipe. That thread took off in a discussion of foodstuffs. So is the Compendium ready for a food-devoted thread? Do we have enough amateur chefs (or professional ones, for that matter) to start a thread devoted only to recipes? We shall see.

I'll start off.

Chicken Scampi (It's a bit rough; I don't have the original recipe, so I'm going from how I usually make it)

A variation on Shrimp Scampi, with chicken. It's crazy delicious.

Ingredients:
Pepper & Salt, to taste
the juice of 1 small lemon
~2 pounds of chicken, cut into peices no bigger than 1" cubed
About 1/2-3/4 that much tomato, chopped. How much depends on how much you like tomatoes; sometimes I'll go with equal amounts. Anything over that gets a bit too tomato-y, though
1 stick (~8 oz) of butter
1/4 cup of olive oil (you can increase the olive oil & decrease the butter for a healthier treat. Margarine is also acceptable)
2 cloves garlic, minced
~1/4 cup onion, chopped, although more can be used, if you like onion
A bit of Parsley, if you're into that

Melt the butter in a pan with the olive oil, and breifly saute the onion and garlic. Add the chicken, lemon juice, salt & pepper now. I lean to more pepper, less salt, but that's personal preference, the original recipe uses twice the amount of salt (1 tsp to 1/2 tsp) to pepper. Cook until the chicken's nice and done, then add the tomatoes. Heat thouroughly, the remove from heat. Serve over the rice. Oh, and add the parsley at some point. The original recipe had it, I never use the stuff.

Apparently you can use pasta as well as rice. I wouldn't recommend it, rice is better for soaking up the delicious, delicious juices.

OK! Now it's your turn!

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Compendium
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:00:02 pm »
Yay! I get to copy this recipe yet again!

Quote from: Recipe
The Substitute Name Family Potato Soup Recipe(Converted to modern, easy to obtain ingredients by The Guy Writing This.)

Ingredients:
Two Cups Brocolli
Five large Russet Potatoes
Two Cups Celery
One Cup Carrots(optional)
2 Sliced Precooked Chicken Breasts
1/2 Cup Mushrooms of your choice (optional)
1/2 Onion
1/2 Clove of Garlic
One Can Chicken Broth
One Can Cream of Mushroom Soup (If you are allergic or just don't like mushrooms, substitute Cream of Chicken instead.)
Two Cans Evaporated Milk
One Teaspoon Butter
A Small Amount Olive(or your choice) Oil
And the following seasonings in amounts of your choice:
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Cloves
Parsley
Oregano
Tumeric
Red Curry

Directions:
Plop a huuuge pot on the stove. Wash and microwave the potatoes and carrots(optional, though this makes it far easier to slice them.)  Place the amount of olive oil into the pan, then chop up and toss in the onions and garlic. Turn on the heat to a medium level, add a small amount of water to prevent the onions and garlic from burning. Then, while they are cooking, slice up and toss in the potatoes, carrots, and celery. If you wish, slice the brocolli as well, though I prefer to merely toss them in whole. Then place in the chicken. Now here's a key for good cooking: you have to add all of the seasonings--except for salt and pepper--right now. Take a spoon of some sort--wooden is my choice--and mix it all up so the seasonings and the fixings spread nice and evenly. Then put a cover on, turn up the heat, and let it cook for a while. How long depends on where you are, your type of stove, and all that good stuff. Once the fixings have cooked, place the chicken broth, mushroom soup, and evaporated milk in, along with the butter. Stir it up, making sure to keep the fixings spread evenly. Add in the salt and pepper as needed, wait till it's all finished, and you're done! Enjoy.

Wrote that for one forum and yet I always find reasons to copy and paste it elsewhere.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:23:15 am »
We have this kind of thread.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2506.0
Too bad it failed.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:06:27 am »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:18:16 am »
Well, then let's not let this one fail. Post a recipe already!

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:30:48 pm »
We have this kind of thread.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2506.0
Too bad it failed.

Sorry! I guess I should've searched.

But if we're sticking our culinary hopes on this thread, I'll continue.

That recipe sounds pretty delicious Kyronea. Verry different from how my family makes potato soup, which is milk-based and includes lots of cheese and sour cream. I'll have to try it. I'm curious though! Where do you get "red curry"? In my experience "curry" is a mix of spices (such as tumeric) and I've never seen a spice called "red curry" for sell...

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 04:12:35 pm »
Well, last I checked, you can find it in the spice rack at King Sooper's or an equivalent super market. (They're owned by Krogers, so if you have a nearby supermarket owned by Krogers, then you should be able to find some in there.) It's basically just a slightly spicier version of curry powder.

You might want to post your potato soup recipe...I'd definitely give it a whirl.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:23:46 pm »
Here is my specialty! 

Corn Pudding

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon flour
3/4 stick butter
1 can cream corn
1 1/2 cup milk

Melt butter in dish.  Mix eggs, sugar, and flour well.  Bake at 350 degrees until set.

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:06:58 pm »
That's an interesting recipe! I've never seen anything quite like it.
Well, last I checked, you can find it in the spice rack at King Sooper's or an equivalent super market. (They're owned by Krogers, so if you have a nearby supermarket owned by Krogers, then you should be able to find some in there.) It's basically just a slightly spicier version of curry powder.

You might want to post your potato soup recipe...I'd definitely give it a whirl.

Unfortunately, I'm never in charge of the potato soup--it's my sister's recipe, and I don't have it on me. But I'll try to give you the basic idea from memory!

First, you take 4 baking potatoes, and bake them the night before you want to make the soup. This should be done at a pretty high temperature for about an hour. Then refrigerate the potatoes until it'stime to make the soup.

Fry some bacon--I'd say about 5-6 regular sized rashers. Crumble it when it cools. Shred some cheese, cheddar should work. Melt some butter, say half a cup, in a large pot. Stir in some flour until it's a bit thicker--okay, that's not much help; maybe about half a cup of flour? I'm not sure, doubt it's important. A bit of flour, anyway. Add four cups of milk while stirring; add the potatoes, which you peeled (this should be easy & shouldn't require a peeler; the skins just flake off) and chopped, and about 1/4 a cup of onions you chopped earlier. I know I didn't say anything then, bot it should've been obvious. Get on the ball! Anyway, bring this concoction to a boil. Then, reduce heat & let it simmer for 8-10 minutes. Then add about a cup of cheese, a little less than a cup of sour cream, the bacon, and salt & pepper to taste. Any extra cheese and bacon can be used as garnishes for people who like cheese and bacon.

Or, you could use this recipe, which seems to be basically the same thing but with portion sized amped up a bit. Be warned: my version feeds a family of five easily, so if you go all the way with this recipe, be sure to bring some friends over.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:17:29 pm »
Meh, I've got a family of six, so I'm not too worried about huge proportions. I understood everything except for rashers...what's a rasher?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 08:30:04 pm »
Slice of bacon I think.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:35:15 pm »
Slice of bacon I think.
Logical, to be sure.

...you know, one of these days I need to educate myself on the slang and word variations of the various dialects of English...that's the fifth time today I've been baffled by what someone who otherwise speaks my language has said.

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 04:02:38 pm »
I was a bit hesitant using rashers, actually, not because I thought you wouldn't know the term, but because in Australia the have these "Bacon Middle Rashers" that are huge and thick and delicious, and at least equivalent to 3 or 4 regular rashers. They know how to do bacon right down here! In fact I'd go so far as to say that most of their meat is better than back in the States. Hmmm.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 05:03:52 am »
You said that right brudda!

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 05:33:36 am »
Ha! Are you Australian? Or have you merely visited that wonderful country?