Author Topic: Nintendo Wii Prints Money  (Read 3191 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Nintendo Wii Prints Money
« on: June 01, 2007, 02:54:31 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/06/01/nintendo-announces-4-7-million-virtual-console-games-sold-mario-rules-the-top-five-list

That's right, 4.7 million VC sales so far as pure profit with hardly any overhead. Now that the VC has proven itself, I'm hoping Chrono will make the jump. Ah, nothing could be so splendid today! Nintendo's return to the top is in progress, and perhaps the good old days are due back as well. Farewell, Sony! Take your $1 billion loss and shove it. X-Box 360 is also suffering from hardware and heat problems.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 03:04:48 pm by ZeaLitY »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Nintendo Wii Prints Money
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 03:06:31 pm »
I expected no less. This is excellent news.

I really have the belief that Chrono Trigger will be announced for the Virtual Console soon. Just a feeling. But a damn confident one.

The VC has probably gained Nintendo its invaluable old status again.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:44:29 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/06/01/nintendo-announces-4-7-million-virtual-console-games-sold-mario-rules-the-top-five-list

That's right, 4.7 million VC sales so far as pure profit with hardly any overhead. Now that the VC has proven itself, I'm hoping Chrono will make the jump. Ah, nothing could be so splendid today! Nintendo's return to the top is in progress, and perhaps the good old days are due back as well. Farewell, Sony! Take your $1 billion loss and shove it. X-Box 360 is also suffering from hardware and heat problems.
Yes, let's welcome back the good old days! The days when the mention of any form of alcohol scared the hell out of Nintendo, or religious themes, or violence, or anything that didn't meet their stringent censorship policies! Yes, let's return to that!

Screw that. I prefer the competition of several, though I wouldn't mind watching Microsoft be kicked out, mainly because the only things worth playing on the XBox and its next-generation companion are also available on the PC, and I am, by nature, a PC gamer over everything else.

That said, this is wonderful news for Nintendo when it comes to properties like Chrono Trigger, so I am eager to see more.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:01:59 pm »
Oddly enough, none of the VC games I have at this point are Mario games. I'd be all on Chrono Trigger if they put it up though. I just purchased Actraiser, so Square Enix is definately testing the VC waters, and hopefully they'll find them warm and inviting. When they stated that it was a 50/50 shot in an interview recently, I don't think they meant it's 50% Chrono Trigger goes on VC vs. 50% we leave it in the archives. They're probably weighing the potential profits of releasing on the VC versus as a port or remake on the DS. If they do the port, we won't see Chrono Trigger on the VC for years, as they won't want to cannibalize sales of the retail port.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 10:52:46 pm »

Yes, let's welcome back the good old days! The days when the mention of any form of alcohol scared the hell out of Nintendo, or religious themes, or violence, or anything that didn't meet their stringent censorship policies! Yes, let's return to that!

Screw that. I prefer the competition of several, though I wouldn't mind watching Microsoft be kicked out, mainly because the only things worth playing on the XBox and its next-generation companion are also available on the PC, and I am, by nature, a PC gamer over everything else.

That said, this is wonderful news for Nintendo when it comes to properties like Chrono Trigger, so I am eager to see more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_2

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:36:07 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_2
I'm not a big fan of Rockstar's games. I just hate censorship in all forms, especially when it is as inane as changing the name of a spell from Holy to Pearl, or--for a Chrono reference--changing the name of an element from Sky/Heaven to Lightning.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 08:01:43 am »
Anyway, this is great. I don't actually have any VC games yet but I plan on getting some soon- and CT coming out would be amazing.

I'm not a big fan of Rockstar's games. I just hate censorship in all forms, especially when it is as inane as changing the name of a spell from Holy to Pearl, or--for a Chrono reference--changing the name of an element from Sky/Heaven to Lightning.

Hey, have you SEEN the early Fire Emblems? Thank god they weren't released round here- we'd probably get a load of nonsense about 'Pearls' and 'THUNDARSTROMZ LOALZ' if Nintendo got their grubby censorship mitts on them. Ahem.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 06:01:33 pm »
May's numbers in Japan are in, and the Wii outsold the PS3 5-1 (as did the DS to the PSP):

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16367&ncid=AOLGAM000500000000004

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:38:10 pm »
May's numbers in Japan are in, and the Wii outsold the PS3 5-1 (as did the DS to the PSP):

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16367&ncid=AOLGAM000500000000004
No surprise there. The Wii is much cheaper than the PS3. Both, I think, aren't THAT worth it though.

The PS3 is overly expensive due to the blue laser used...luckily production costs have been decreasing as of late, but it's the hardware. As it stands they're selling them cheaper than it costs to produce--if they were selling each console at a profit it would be close to $1000, which we all know would never get them anywhere.

I still hope they can pull through. I don't want one company dominating any media market, especially video games. That said, if certain potential new games end up on the Wii as the may--like, say, Kingdom Hearts III--I doubt I'll ever purchase a PS3.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 06:16:03 am »
The Wii only seems expensive because it was being hyped up for a 200 dollar sale.

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 06:43:06 am »
"Now that," I thought as I read the post subject, "Is what I'd call a useful feature."

Talk about a letdown.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:51:42 am »
"Now that," I thought as I read the post subject, "Is what I'd call a useful feature."

Talk about a letdown.
The Wii has nothing even remotely resembling a printer, and even if it did it would not be anymore a counterfiet creating device than a normal printer would be, as money is printed on special paper, with special inks and all sorts of other special stuff, including magnetic markers, inside, all of which is unduplicatable by anyone who does not know what the special stuff is made out of.

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 07:27:38 am »
That's only true for American money! But Japan--which, you'll remember, is the where the Wii is made--uses yen! And, as Penny Arcade tells us, yen look like M&Ms. Thus, the Wii doesn't need a printer--it needs a miniature choclate manufacturing plant! And, according to inside sources, Willy Wonka was close to perfecting such a device just months before the Wii was announced. Perhaps he did perfect it! Perhaps it's there is our Wiis, waiting to be unleashed by the proper wave of the Wiimote! UNITE, WII OWNERS! WE DESERVE THE TRUTH!

(To prevent confusion I guess I should note I don't actually own a Wii. It's fun to say though.)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 07:38:26 am »

You amuse me. That's good, too, because after the large amount of horror in this book I'm reading just happened I needed amusement.

But, with that said, your logic fails. Even if Willy Wonka--who does not exist in this reality as anything more than a fictional character--were to perfect a minature chocolate manufacturing plant, why would the Wii have one installed? It would not aid the Wii's purpose at all. If anything, such a device would be much more suited to the PS3, which tries to cater itself as a home entertainment system rather than just a video game console, and thus a snack producing mechanism would be the perfect finish.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 12:53:07 pm »

You amuse me. That's good, too, because after the large amount of horror in this book I'm reading just happened I needed amusement.

But, with that said, your logic fails. Even if Willy Wonka--who does not exist in this reality as anything more than a fictional character--were to perfect a minature chocolate manufacturing plant, why would the Wii have one installed? It would not aid the Wii's purpose at all. If anything, such a device would be much more suited to the PS3, which tries to cater itself as a home entertainment system rather than just a video game console, and thus a snack producing mechanism would be the perfect finish.
rofl, you win for not knowing a joke when you see one (i know you did, but you acted like it was a serous statement)