Author Topic: Cross, too many characters?  (Read 3603 times)

GuruOfGaming

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Cross, too many characters?
« on: May 19, 2007, 11:33:04 pm »
first, let me say i wasent really sure where to put this topic so i stuck it here.

as most of you should know Cross has a huge cast of playable characters,especialy when compared to Trigger or other rpgs in general. the problem being is that some of these characters have liitle to no real expantion to add to the story, some seem only to exist only to collect. while this does add to the replay value. dose it efect the story at all? i myself found i often neglected some characters because i thought others had more to offer the story or just more in siteful dialoge.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Cross, too many characters?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:09:19 am »
Some got a decent amount of development (i.e. Radius, Glenn), but most are there for the hell of it (i.e. Macha, Draggy). Some are useful in game mechanics, of course; like Zappa for forging new weapons.

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:44:57 pm »
There is never too many characters. i bet i could make a short story on every single one thats at least 3 chapters long. each character has their own story.
like useless one like Draggy.
here's an outline of how draggy could have alot of history.
-how draggy got to the fort, (was he kidnapped ect.)
-how draggy could possibly find the rest of his family. (all the missing eggs that were with him)
-how draggy can possibly be related to the fire dragon. (which i doubt)

i could o\go on and on all day about him.

here's an outline on another useless character such as Leah.
-where Leah's actually from.
-who his dad is.
-if she's royal, (because of her pendant)
-and if she from porre.

you see theres alot of thing that might be important on every character.
 8)

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 12:15:04 pm »
The poin tis for The game purposes at least half the characters were about a waste of time

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:09:14 pm »
There is never too many characters. i bet i could make a short story on every single one thats at least 3 chapters long. each character has their own story.

The thing is, though, you'd have to invent way too much of the characters' backgrounds. There isn't enough for a solid story on most of the characters.

Magus

• Porrean (+50)
  • ...The Black Wind...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:00:39 am »
I have to agree. At first, I thought the idea of many characters was interesting, fun and more realistic, but when you get random characters, with no background at all, like the dog, Van the poor painting kid, and the many others, it becomes tiresome.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:56:51 am »
i think your right. although i enjoyed going through the game again i don't think it was a great idea because they couldn't make much of a story for all the characters besides serge and kid and their story was intertwined as it is. although some characters had intertwined stories (like the viper mannor ones or even marbule) i still think they could have been better.

Tonberry2k

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 02:25:53 pm »
I feel like there were too many too. I would have liked to see the cast trimmed down to make room for some character development.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:35:37 pm »
Yes, it's a comman, and to me a MAJOR, complaint of CC. I think only two characters get a decent amount of character development and even then, I'm stretching it with Harle...Kid is the other one...Serge has a background, but, of course, no real character development (like I've said many times before, at least Crono had a fuggin surprised sprite), but he's the silent protagonist, yeah?

Character Development just sorta fell to the wayside. Instead, they focused more on a great storyline and even though I hate the sacrifice that was made, I'm still proud and glad to have CC as part of the Chrono series.

HUZZAH~!

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 03:40:33 pm »
I gotta agree. In Chrono Trigger you enjoyed playing with certain characters because you created a bond with them. But here it's just different. There's just too many characters that have nothing to do with the plot, it's just annoying. The only well developed characters imo are Serge and Kid. You get a load of info about Serge's dad, his life, Serge's past, etc. And while the story goes on you learn more about Kid as well. The others were just... Too bad. Karsh for example. Okay, so you're a Acacia Dragoon Deva, a brave fighter, and you're coming with me because...? But then again, I think Karsh had the only decent ending text in the good ending. Something like "we sure been through a lot together, junior... I mean, Serge." that was really so awesome. The other were just "well we had fun right? bye" or something.

Grobycisgod

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 07:50:51 pm »
I have to say there is a point where there's too many characters. Like the Sukeden games (sp?), you have like 255 characters or something...that's way to many. I feel chrono cross didn't cross that line. I really hate when games force you to play with certain characters because they don't feel like creating enough (Legend of Legaia is a great example). I also feel trapped when get the CT thing going on where you get a pretty limited cast of playable characters. I like having enough people to choose from. I also enjoy questing to find them all. So, I think they did good. Though it would be AMAZING if they looped a few of them into their own story just to kinda make them related to each other.

Radox Redux

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »
Is there a single person in the whole world who thinks CC doesn't have too many characters? Square really dropped the ball on that one.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:40:16 pm »
Is there a single person in the whole world who thinks CC doesn't have too many characters? Square really dropped the ball on that one.
The guy right above you seems to suggest that CC could have used more characters.

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
  • Male...female......what's the difference?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 11:17:24 pm »

Several, actually.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 04:09:48 am »
Like the Sukeden games (sp?), you have like 255 characters or something...

Suikoden only has about 76 playable characters...