Author Topic: Oh. My god.  (Read 3132 times)

DoomSickle

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Insane and happily so
    • View Profile
Oh. My god.
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:25:42 pm »
THIS IS PROOF OF HIS EXISTENCE.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Oh. My god.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:27:41 pm »
Run for the hills! Run for the oceans! Save yourselves! The End of Days is nigh!

That photo-shopping job is simultaneously amusing and horrifying, so well done on that. It could use some more work though...maybe make Lavos look more real, rather than just SNES graphics on a random map.

Also, I'd have placed him at 0/0 degrees--which would be somewhat off the western coast of Africa--just because that would be, more or less, the centre of Earth's map, so to speak, and that's where he tends to exist on the Chrono maps.

DoomSickle

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Insane and happily so
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:04:36 am »
Yeah well I was going to stick him in the Gulf of Mexico, but a friend of mine just HAD to insist that he be right on top of the most obscure country in the history of ever.

You actually think that's good? Wow, because I absolutely suck at photoediting.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:59 am »
Yeah well I was going to stick him in the Gulf of Mexico, but a friend of mine just HAD to insist that he be right on top of the most obscure country in the history of ever.

Uhhh... obscure? Krete's not that obscure, you know. In fact, for the entire 2000 - 1400BC era it was home to the Minoan civilization, one of the great old peoples of history... and, interestingly, a civilization that seems not to have been built on warfare. Though maybe it'd have been more fitting to have put him over Mount Etna in Sicily... after all, in myth it was Typhon the Terrible who was buried there.

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:15:31 am »

Uhhh... obscure? Krete's not that obscure, you know. In fact, for the entire 2000 - 1400BC era it was home to the Minoan civilization, one of the great old peoples of history... and, interestingly, a civilization that seems not to have been built on warfare. Though maybe it'd have been more fitting to have put him over Mount Etna in Sicily... after all, in myth it was Typhon the Terrible who was buried there.

Classic Mr.Krispin! How's it been going man?

Good PS piece, but you could've made Lavos a bit more realistic, but who cares, it's still pretty damn funny.

DoomSickle

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Insane and happily so
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 02:56:26 pm »
It wasn't even Krete, it was some backwater place called Cyprus.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 03:55:08 pm »
It wasn't even Krete, it was some backwater place called Cyprus.

Actually, he's right over the eastern portion of Krete. Cyprus is still visible a bit to the right. Nor is Cyprus itself backwater, either. You know the Greek goddess Aphrodite? One of her common epithets was Kypria, for the story goes that it was there that she washed ashore when she was born. And then there is its importance in metals: it was a particularly important source of copper in the ancient world. Hence, the Romans named the metal 'copper' (ie. from cupros, a more literal rendering of the Greek form) after the island where it was mostly found.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 04:13:29 pm »

Isn't it spelled Crete? Or did the spelling change at some point and I just didn't notice?

Anyway, I do agree that when it comes to poetic symbolism, placing him where Typhon was chained would probably be best. Of course, one could take a cue from a recent video game and place him in China instead...

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 04:47:27 pm »
.... oh sweet jesus, lavos was Allah!

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:31:27 pm »
...what? No, I was referring to Titan's Quest, wherein Typhon is the final boss, and he was chained under Mount Wusao, a mountain that I think does not actually exist.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 09:19:45 pm »

Isn't it spelled Crete? Or did the spelling change at some point and I just didn't notice?

Anyway, I do agree that when it comes to poetic symbolism, placing him where Typhon was chained would probably be best. Of course, one could take a cue from a recent video game and place him in China instead...

Hmmm... true.

Yeah, the most common English spelling is Crete which comes to us via Latin (which uses a c often.) But the sound is of a k, and it's the letter kappa in Greek, and often I like to use the transliterations. I come across a bit... uh, pedantic at times because of it, but meh. I've tried to temper it, though, and not use it when it might actually cause confusion, ie. using Akhilleus for Achilles, or Kupros for Cyprus. But the c-k thing is one I've had issue with. There is no reason to use a c at all in anything, except for our ch sound. Otherwise it's either k or s, and those should be used accordingly, especially for foreign words. However, for the sake of not being totally weird, I won't be spelling Cyclops as Kuklops. Heh.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 09:45:31 pm »
...what? No, I was referring to Titan's Quest, wherein Typhon is the final boss, and he was chained under Mount Wusao, a mountain that I think does not actually exist.
and I was literally not replying to you at all.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 10:23:48 pm »

Hmmm... true.

Yeah, the most common English spelling is Crete which comes to us via Latin (which uses a c often.) But the sound is of a k, and it's the letter kappa in Greek, and often I like to use the transliterations. I come across a bit... uh, pedantic at times because of it, but meh. I've tried to temper it, though, and not use it when it might actually cause confusion, ie. using Akhilleus for Achilles, or Kupros for Cyprus. But the c-k thing is one I've had issue with. There is no reason to use a c at all in anything, except for our ch sound. Otherwise it's either k or s, and those should be used accordingly, especially for foreign words. However, for the sake of not being totally weird, I won't be spelling Cyclops as Kuklops. Heh.
Oh really? Well, thank you. That was quite enlightening, though I disagree over the c issue, mostly due to personal taste.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 11:43:43 pm »
Oh no!  *hides from the fury of Lavos*

Nice photo manip.  :)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 04:47:48 am »
Am I understading this correctly? Are Crete and Cyprus the same island?