Author Topic: Australia vs. Zimbabwe  (Read 959 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Australia vs. Zimbabwe
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:56:41 am »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/05/13/ucaus13.xml

"Australia have banned their national cricket team from touring Zimbabwe, saying they do not want to hand a propaganda coup to the "Gestapo"-like regime of "grubby dictator" Robert Mugabe."

What the hell?! This is the stupidest thing I've heard. Childish bickering between nations is funny, and I guess a country is allowed to not like the leader of another country, but not allowing a cricket team to play another country because of political differences is fucked up. Why would you mix politics and sport? If Iran and USA could put their differences aside during the Football world cup...anyone can.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Australia vs. Zimbabwe
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:36:49 am »
Life for most Zimbabweans has become very difficult ever since the country's economy collapsed. For other countries to participate in sport in Zimbabwe would amount to a tacit endorsement that affairs in Zimbabwe are acceptable. It would be insensitive to say the least, and so I can understand why Australia made its decision.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:27:38 pm »
Yeah, but many Zimbabwean cricket players and lovers who look up to Australia would be very disappointed if they didn't come.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:34:49 am »
This is the same reason I'm boycotting the Olympics. China is a Communist country and us(as in USA) going there gives the idea that we don't care.

I understand why Australia would do that, you just can't accept those conditions.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 03:49:45 am »
This is the same reason I'm boycotting the Olympics. China is a Communist country and us(as in USA) going there gives the idea that we don't care.

I understand why Australia would do that, you just can't accept those conditions.

Boycotting the Beijing Olympics would be counterproductive at best. Chinese society, far from having collapsed under a corrupt government, is flourishing and making huge strides on every rubric. They have a functional government and we have to deal with that government. They are a major nation. Our economy is deeply intertwined with theirs. Their rising power is not to be ignored. We can and should do what we may to pressure the Chinese government into improving its human rights and environmental records, but embargoes, sanctions, and boycotts are not the way to do it in their case, regardless of your disagreement with their political structure.

The best thing we can do right now for both ourselves and for the Chinese is to be their friends.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 06:25:39 am »
God fucking damn it. Why does politics have to be intertwined with everything? Why can't you just go and play sport, and have a good time? If North Korea invents a breakthrough drug that will cure every disease known to man, would you boycott it just because it comes from a corrupt communist government? (of course, North Korea probably wouldn't share it with America, but theoretically!)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 05:03:50 pm »
I'm not the one who brought up China. That was the work of right-wing posturing by our friend nightmare975. I'm typically all for the elevation of international sport over politics, but Zimbabwe is a special case. You obviously aren't paying enough attention to what's happening in that country, and it makes you look pretty cavalier.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:56:34 am »
I sure do know what is happening in that country. And I guess playing Zimbabwe probably means your'e condoning the probably torturous training sessions the Zimbawean team has.

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:12:26 am »
Their just afraid to lose that's all.

Oh and we can't boycott the olympics, haven't you ever seen the Simpsons? "China Still Cool!"

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »
Nice. Although I would be more impressed if that were a Major League Baseball score.