Author Topic: 1. Toma and the Rainbow Shell  (Read 25019 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
1. Toma and the Rainbow Shell
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 07:08:49 pm »
Could work, although I was planning on having Gil provide (if only temporarily) Dreamstone for Argus to help make his escape. And yes, his plan is to get out of ZEAL like a bat out of hell, just as soon as he can find a way. If Gil is also a captive, they can escape using Gil's Dreamstone. Sigma can be released a scenario down the line when people start going back in to ZEAL to infiltrate.

The question is, if they take Sigma with them, how does that work within the timeline? I'm fine with doing that if it works out from a story perspective.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 07:30:53 pm »
That might not be much of a problem if Argus and Gil don't arrive in the prison until a couple of weeks after Sigma was brought in. Otherwise, I don't see much possibility of ZEAL trusting Sigma on any sort of official business. If you can think of a good idea, however, let me know.

Another possibility is that while in prison, either Gil or Argus hears a rumor of a girl resistant to magic, and later decides to rescue her. The problem with this is that security would probably have been raised at that point. This problem might be solved if we say the stasis chambers are in an ultra-low security area, as no one expects them to break out. (Aside: This stasis is the same technology as was used on Crono's party)

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 09:15:06 pm »
Ah, I misunderstood. I wasn't quite sure if you meant weeks/month in story-related time or actually not being ready to post until then.

Keystonian incursions into Zeal won't happen until much later down the road. Essentially, that's the second phase of the project. The subplots will more or less end and Keystone's attempt to return fire begins.

The idea of Sigma (and possibly Gil, depending on how Translanka wants to work this out) being "officially" returned to Keystone wouldn't be a simple release. After Argus flees Zeal, the Council is going to be pissed - after all, one of the brightest students that they chose to become a member of the Temporal School just decides to jump ship and screw up their plans - and then successfully escapes. So they don't look incompetent, they'll dispatch Nanashi to track him down and brutally put and end to his life; however, they're curious fellows. The Council is going to want to know why Argus did what he did and learn as much about him as possible so that they don't make the mistake selecting someone similiar in the future. For that task, they'll ask/demand Sessimine to hunt Argus down and throughly dissect his mind before the Nanashi wipe him out.

Conveniently, there also happens to be someone detained in a previous excursion in stasis - who is believed to be a member of some underground resistance movement and who has demonstrated an unusual resistance to magic for a simple Keystonian - from the very era Sessimine will be heading to. Sigma could be dragged along for the purposes of trying to get more information out of her and so forth.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 09:49:06 pm »
Just a thought: If Sigma escaped first, before Argus, perhaps ZEALians could use Argus and Gil to track them down and then A & G could attempt an escape using Gil's Dreamstone...

Although I'm cool with the other way too...Perhaps A & G's escape plan (I'm guessing with both of their Magical abilities, it's going to be a big rucus), disingages Sigma's stasis pod-deal.

I don't really see Gil offering to help out Sigma just because she may or may not be Magic-resistent (or whatever) from some rumor they hear in prison. That seems outlandish...But perhaps the release of Sigma's stasis leads to the three of them finding one another. I imagine such stasis pods would be near the prisons (basically have the same function after all)...So that doesn't seem too bad...Or perhaps they would release others as a smoke-screen for their own escape...

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 10:09:40 pm »
How or why Sigma is able to escape at the same time as Argus and Gil can easily be resolved. I see the timing of it all as much more important issue.

Argus should have been executed on the spot - its an administrative fluke that he lives. Zeal isn't going to use him to hunt down someone else, especially someone he has zero relation to.

If you're all going to escape at once, then your idea of releasing everyone in an attempt to divert attention seems to be a good one. For some reason or another, one of your characters notices Sigma and takes pity on her... who knows. Argus seems to be a character discovering a new sense of morality, so maybe as part of his "penitence" for his hand in distorting other timelines he sees Sigma and drags her along.

Remember, you guys are crossing dimensions here - that's not something even the most experienced temporal mage is going to be able to do on a whim. In the ensuing chaos, Argus makes his way to the laboratory where all of the experiments go on and uses his access to the facility to manipulate a dimensional gate there - without Argus, no one's getting in there without permission.

Now that we seem to have confirmed that Argus and Gil will be escaping together, I suppose Leebot needs to decide whether he wants Sigma to flee with the two of them or follow Sessimine & Naomi later. (Or perhaps some other option, but these seem to be the most viable to me.)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 11:03:08 pm »
I've been thinking...I've stated that I want my alt. Flea to be there...And so far it's as if we're treating her as dying beforehand...But perhaps we could use her as part of the escape plan (perhaps devoid of the other's knowledge at first). Flea stays behind to distract, and meets her end that way. I think this sounds plausible and it would greater ensure G & A's escape. Flea is, of course, very Magically inclined, and she also has confusion magic (I've forgotten the name of the spell exactly...but you get the picture), which would be very helpful in a planned escape, regardless.

I see your point though, Gil needs Argus to escape. Then perhaps Argus is the one to insist on helping Sigma...Gil would basically have no choice in the matter...He doesn't know his way around, he doesn't know the exits...He's too unfamiliar, where Argus has experience with this version of ZEAL.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 11:27:49 pm »
Flea can meet her end here too if you like. Sounds like you've got a lot to accomplish rather quickly.

Yeah, Argus is really what makes escape from Zeal possible. No one's just going to be nice and open up a gate to Keystone for a random intruder. Argus is going to do the dirty work himself, knowing there's pretty much no looking back.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 11:31:13 pm »
Yeah, I guess I kinda was lost as to where ZEAL was...For some reason I was thinking there was some actual physical ZEAL presence in the Keystone timeline...I think I was thinking of something else...But yeah, that all makes some kind of sense now that I think about it *heh heh*

Also, in the Introduction thread, are we all supposed to/allowed to introduce our Keystone Characters? So far, I only see ZEAL stuff, so I was wondering if I should post some little bit for Hunter Deschain yet...

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2004, 11:44:52 pm »
Actually, I'd originally meant that the stasis pod failed as yet another instance of Sigma's resistance popping up. How about this, assuming they all escape at the same time: Sigma's stasis pod fails. ZEAL doesn't bother with a full-time guard on the stasis pods, so she's free to make an escape attempt. Having no experience in sneaking around or combat, she's soon cornered by guards. At this point, Argus (possibly with Gil) rushes into this room, defeats the guards (I'm assuming that he is sufficiently capable to do so), saving Sigma in the process. She then latches on to him.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2004, 11:49:41 pm »
Go right ahead if you like. Ideally, we should try and clump Zeal posts together and Keystone posts together to achieve a greater degree of continuity, but that's not always possible. Don't let that hold you back from posting.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2004, 11:52:33 pm »
Should the Gil and Argus perspective stories start out in Gil's dimension? To give a little back ground information. Or should they (or just one) start out in ZEAL after whatever goes down in Gil's dimension, and then refer to those events later, for a bit more mystery?

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 12:05:56 am »
Well, you don't want to drag on and on in the introduction. Remember that you're aiming to appear in front of Gaspar eventually. The longer you make that journey, the more you have to write. I think it would be best to start with the jailbreak as your first scene, that way Argus' motivations can be revealed later. It would make him appear to have more depth if his origins and story are revealed to the rest of the party later.

Remember that while we can see the outside discussion here, when we eventually post this as a single body of fanfiction, the readers aren't going to know all these details we're explaining in these threads.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004, 07:01:04 am »
Yeah, that sounds good...Gil can either give a brief synopsis of his situation, if Argus inquires...or things can be situated later, when Gil makes it back to the EoT, where Elle & Marcy await to continue their journey, and Glenn sets apart into Gasper's crew (that is, if the Glenn situation is figured out).

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 12:44:20 am »
Alright, I've got a chapter written out which covers the time from when Sigma awakens in prison up to her being put into stasis. I'm not sure where I should post it, though, as the main story thread hasn't even reached to beginning of the Toma operation, yet. I'm thinking that maybe I should start a new thread to cover the jailbreak subplot. Does this sound like a good idea?

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 05:02:23 pm »
Don't create a new thread for it.

See the one that says "Story Thread: Introduction"? Post it there. Everything leading up to the first meeting with Gaspar belongs in that thread. After that, one titled "Story Thread: Toma Subplot" (or something similiar) will be created and further posts will be placed there. New threads for the beginning of each subplot will be posted more than likely.

If everyone started creating their own story threads, establishing any sort of continuity would become rather difficult, and a hassle to keep track of to boot.

Also, remember that you don't have to post everything at once. You don't have to get to the End of Time in a single post.