Author Topic: 1. Toma and the Rainbow Shell  (Read 24244 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
1. Toma and the Rainbow Shell
« on: September 28, 2004, 05:21:18 am »
So then, the people of ZEAL won't be involved in this right yet? Introduced as in what they've done/do? But not physically who they are...?

Well, perhaps we should open it with a bang, some major event much further down the line from Toma's discovery. Some big disaster or big change like a war. Buildings crumbling, people falling like flies, blood turning the seas red, ect ect...Obviously there would be some differing implications with the King of Guardia (XXXIII I believe is Nadia's father, right?) and Yakra/Chacellor. Perhaps the King would fall and all of this would create another Mystic War.

Something like that would obviously make Gasper backtrack to where the change originally occurred.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 05:05:09 pm »
Well, the idea is that Zeal is interested in tinkering with "what if" scenarios - so if they start by wrecking a timeline entirely, they can't do anything more with it.

Futhermore, if we screw up the timeline right off the bat, all characters will come from the seriously altered timeline, making it a little more difficult to coordinate everyone's history.

Ideally, each subplot will attempt to alter the timeline in increasingly more drastic ways.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 05:54:03 pm »
That brings up a question I've had about the characters we're creating/using/whatever...What are the restraints set upon these characters? Are they supposed to be from the Ideal Timeline? At what point in this timeline? Or does any of that matter?

I now understand about the drastic change, that makes sense...But then, if we change that little part, then the people we/Gasper see(s) are then from this new altered Toma-Ideal Timeline? I can see also how the finding of the Rainbow Shell would be a minute detail, and like was said, ZEAL is supposed to change small things at first (I had forgotten)...but eventually, even the smallest of changes must radically alter the future down the line, right? Like chaos theory almost, right? Although I like the idea that Gasper could find/see a small flaw in the timeline and know something was up, like a fine craftsman looking into a slight imperfection.

Well, either way, I need to know what the deal is with the authored characters...although, I guess I'll ask that in the character sketch thread...

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 06:01:17 pm »
Yes, even small events could alter a timeline to an increasing degree the farther one peers down the line. At ~1000 AD however, it shouldn't be too drastic a change to render it unrecognizable.

Initially, I believe the plan was for all characters to be from the timeline in question. (Or from Zeal, if that's the role you want to play. Granted, not everyone should be Zealian, for they're the villian here...) The only way I could see someone else getting tangled up here from another timeline would involve them perhaps being first captured by Zeal and then escaping to Keystone - which is entirely plausible, I'd say. ZeaLitY might be the appropriate authority on that matter, though.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 06:32:24 pm »
Alright, that's good, I just needed that cleared up before I could make a decision about my character and where I wanted him...Also, speaking of ZEAL...Since they've basically perfected their time travel & such, it was said that they basically achieved eternal life, so then K. & Q. Zeal both still exist along with a ZEAL-version of Schala & Janus (maybe not Janus...)?

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 06:39:49 pm »
Immortality is a fairly new advancement in Zeal, one discovered long after anyone we're familiar with in CT died. At this point in time, the oldest citizens of Zeal are pushing ~1000 years of age, so that puts the advent of Zealian immortality somewhere around Keystone's rise of Guardia.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:56:05 pm »
Based on what we have so far, I'd like to propose that the beginning main scenes might go like this:

-ZEAL comes off the tail-end of destroying another timeline. V Translanka's Glenn might be a captive from this timeline.
-ZEAL finds the Keystone Dimension.
-ZEAL effects changes in the form of giving Toma the Rainbow Shell.
-Gaspar notices these and calls in the heroes.

This is just a skeleton structure. We need character sketches! Once we have the heroes and other characters, we can really get into it, and finally insert scenes such as

-Edgar sits on the pier, contemplating the loss of his state and title
-Gaspar calls in the heroes
-Edgar leaves the End of Time puzzled
-Back at ZEAL, bleah

Some good ones exist already in the Sketch thread, so check them out. Create a hero, or some other characters! It's entirely up to you.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 07:00:57 am »
Waitaminute...Edgar? Is that Gaspar you're speaking of (you mention leaving the EoT, so I assume that's correct)?

Also, I've pretty much scratched that version of Glenn from possibility for now (I dun like him or the idea of him yet, he's still a sketchy idea for my fanfic really)...but I like the idea of having someone captured...If possible, could I substitute my version of Glenn, for my version of Magus/Gil? Hell, I could practically incorperate such an event into my Magness fanfic!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 10:47:40 am »
Edgar was just an example name of an author-created character.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 12:53:32 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Also, I've pretty much scratched that version of Glenn from possibility for now (I dun like him or the idea of him yet, he's still a sketchy idea for my fanfic really)...but I like the idea of having someone captured...If possible, could I substitute my version of Glenn, for my version of Magus/Gil? Hell, I could practically incorperate such an event into my Magness fanfic!

I found your twisted version of Glenn to be promising, actually - I wouldn't have problem with that because Glenn really isn't the same character as Frog. To me, while familiar, that seems pretty original. Magus on the other hand... everyone is going to want to write as him. I really hate to curb someone else's creativity, but it would be a shame if we ended up with a horde of "Hey, this is Crono from another timeline!" entries.

Still, this is a community-wide project and give-and-take is the only way its going to work. If you'd like to incorporate your Magus/Gil into this somehow, then that can be worked out - however, let's not have such characters be the focus of the story.

I suppose its worth clarifying what is generally meant by "major" characters here. While originals are certainly encouraged, if you think you've got a hot idea for someone established in CC, then take a shot at writing them. (The exceptions being Serge, Kid, Harle, and Lynx. Most characters in CC were as shallow as a kiddie pool. These are the ones I think are okay to tinker with.)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 05:55:23 pm »
Oh, I didn't see a authored characer called Edgar, I guess it was just an example though...It just made me think FFVI Edgar there for a second.

Also, I was thinking of a way to properly incorperate any of the characters from Magness. By the end of the alternate dimension which Gil finds Glenn (& before him an alternate Lucca[I call her Elle] & afterwards an alternate Flea), he possesses both the Pendant & a Gate Key. He obtains these items to have access to the End of Time (with his party of Marcy from a Keystone future 1020, his alt Lucca, alt Glenn, & alt Flea).

I thought that if he came upon Gaspar as or slightly before he comes to know about the ZEAL Project, that Gil would immediately want to seek out ZEAL, his main goal being to find his sister or to find a working Time Egg to change things. I thought that this way, he (and probably Flea) would be captured by ZEAL...Marcy, alt Lucca & alt Glenn would either stay in the EoT or possibly travel to into the new Toma-Keystone timeline. I would be very open to killing of Flea & Glenn down the line in the story for some purpose or another, but Marcy & alt Lucca are important for Gil's later story.

Either that or I'm sure I could even work out Marcy & alt Lucca beforehand somehow. If I were to have Gil, I don't think he'd have much of a big part in the story. He basically would be a prisoner. Especially with how powerful the ZEAL people seem to be, it would be hard for him to escape.

I could imagine using my Glenn, but this seems like a real possibility for how he gets there in the first place...I wasn't sure about him because I really haven't written his part out yet...

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 12:23:07 pm »
I've just added my character to the sketches thread. If it's possible, she could be worked into this chapter. Otherwise, I'll adjust her bio and have her be captured from a different time/place.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 05:34:11 pm »
That shouldn't be a problem.

However, we've got three people captured by Zeal and escaping in the first chapter. It would seem pretty outlandish to me if all three were totally unrelated, so I figure it would probably be a good idea if all three people involved (Translanka, Leebot, and RD) coordinated the escape scene.

Furthermore, I don't think we need any more captives after this. New characters should be through-and-through Keystonian.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 06:38:52 pm »
That shouldn't be much of a problem; Sigma's going to need someone to rescue her. There might be a problem with the time involved, though. As I have her bio, it should take quite a while for her to reach the point where she's ready to break out (somewhere between a couple of weeks and a month). The other characters may have to spend some time cooling their heels before an opportunity arises to escape.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 06:55:26 pm »
Hmm.

From my understanding, RD's character - Argus - will be making his soon almost right off the bat.

Translanka planned on Gil being detained by Zeal and having him escape somehow. I'm not sure of any further details right now.

We need one huge jailbreak, with everyone being detained at the same place, more or less. Three people from three separate places all slipping through the cracks and escaping into Keystone - evading the wary eyes of Zeal in the process - seems a little unbelievable. You'd better believe that people would be sacked and security increased after one incident, much less a second - and there is zero way to physically overpower your way through.

However, there will be several groups of people travelling from Zeal to Keystone to tamper with the timeline, among other things. Once Argus makes his escape, Sessimine & Naomi will be taking a friendly trip to Keystone to hunt him down. (For reasons to be discussed...) Both Gil and Sigma could accompany them on "offical" grounds if that works out better. (Again, reasons for which to be discussed...)

Sound like a plan?