Author Topic: Character Sketches.  (Read 31857 times)

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
Character Sketches.
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2004, 06:07:36 pm »
Further Background On Gargeth Wardell:

You know the thief NPC from Chrono Trigger (ED: FFVI) (find it here if you aren't familiar)? That's pretty much how Garg looked around the time that he followed Toma into the Giant's Claw and for a short period after (mostly before he went public with his Rainbow Shard). His hair was naturally blonde, but it was constantly so filthy that no one could say he wasn't brunette. He certainly wasn't blind in one eye (or, for all anyone knows, missing the eye itself), but there were some pretty outstanding scars all around his eyes (and, actually, all over his face) that made one wonder how close he'd come to finding himself blind. His trousers ratty, ripped and soiled and his shirt often either missing or little more than a makeshift poncho consisting of a torn potato sack, he wasn't much to look at.

Beneath his appearance, though, was wit and a hint of skill. If nothing, he was more than half the dreamer and "archaeologist" that Toma was--if not the man's equal. In truth, his only disadvantage was never having heard of such a thing as the Rainbow Shell before Toma had already made his plans. Given as much time, it is possible that Gargeth Wardell would be the name on the tip of every Dorino resident's tongue, but such is obviously not the case. Regardless, Garg was prone to mistakes--among them, drinking and (consequentially) gambling. While much of his problems were physiochemically inevitable, it cannot be denied that it was a choice of his--one choice only--to "experience" alcohol for his first time. That choice cost him all the inheritance that could have taken him so far.

For you see, the only reason Garg's parents are a note of obscurity is that he made them so. In the normal course of his life, his parents were great, influential citizens of the Choras region. His father was brother to a former mayor of Porre, bringing in a partial inheritance from Garg's grandfather that, compared to most other people in Choras, made him nearly a millionare, and his mother's family owned many of the crafty businesses in the Choras market. With their combined contributions, Garg would have been among the five richest men on the continent, but Garg was known for being a sassy, rude little beast. So when his parents died on a tour of the Hero's Grave--actually an appraisal visit, as they were thinking of purchasing the plot--both sides of his family rebuked him, refusing to give him either shelter or his rightful dues. Had Garg ever had the opportunity to study interregional law as his parents wished, he could have legally obtained what he wanted. Unfortunately, the only skill he had to fall back on was his fascination with larceny plots.

To make a long story short, he underestimated the security of his families' estates, and he never managed to regain a thousandth as much through mischief as he had once lost by it. With what little money he managed to keep, he eventually fell more and more deeply ill with alcoholism, until that fateful day when he invited himself to play follower to Toma's leader.

Side Note: What exactly is the title of Choras' leader in 600 A.D.? Or are we not given it in/able to infer it from the game?

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2004, 11:51:12 pm »
Although that link to the picture doesn't seem to be working for me now, I checked it earlier and I think its a sprite from FFVI, not Chrono Trigger - not that it matters, though.

I don't seem to remember the leader having a title - probably something like Elder. Feel free to improvise, unless someone can dig up the actual title, if one exists.

Quote from: Leebot
I'm thinking that this may occur when a ZEALian enchantress tries to enchant him; the mind-altering effects of enchantment spells could have disastrous effects on a mind like his.

If you've got a particular scene in which this would happen, it could be easily arranged. Sessimine will be on the Keystonian side of the fence shortly enough.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Sketches.
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2004, 10:05:44 am »
I don't have anything particular in mind for what leads up to it, yet. Once he snaps, well, imagine Id from Xenogears with slightly different priorities. Quite literally, this effect would strip away his Ego and Superego, leaving only his Id in control of his mind (impulse and emotion only, no logic or conscience). He likely won't actually kill anyone, but rather would try to make them believe he's going to kill them. In "Id" form, his power level will be somewhat greater than normal, as he would lack his usual qualms about killing others.

He'll probably be on a rampage for a few posts, cutting a swath through reality and occasionally tapping into his hidden power to rend open a time portal. The rest of the party may or may not try to track him down and subdue him. Behind the scenes, his Ego will be working to repair his mind and return it to its normal state.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2004, 02:41:44 pm »
Yeah, that thief sprite is from FFVI, not Chrono Trigger.  It's one of the pirates that follows Edgar in the World of Ruin, when he's known as Gerad.  Check this page to see (he's about two-thirds of the way down in the center).

EDIT: Maybe this thief sprite would suit your fancy more?  

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2004, 04:11:03 pm »
A: I was thinking FFVI and yet typed Chrono Trigger. Nah, I wasn't mistaken, just stupid (since I specifically searched for the Fenrir's FFVI site to find the sprite). Something is the hell wrong with me, it seems.

B: That's Toma, and while they bear certain resemblances, Garg has a distinctly different appearance from Toma. Especially when it comes to post-Rainbow Shell appearances, which I'll have a write-up about with, just as my last post, a description of his personality changes and the events since then, done soon. First post: incident, second post: pre-incident, third post: post-incident. Not to mention an actually story piece or two before everyone meets up at the End of Time.

ED: I talked with Zeality and we concluded that Choras is probably headed by an elder, the same way that the other towns of 600 A.D. are. Come 1000 A.D. Choras' map has joined the convention and includes a "Mayor's Mansion" similar to those in the other towns of 1000 A.D., so it stands to reason that Choras would have similar leadership during the previous 400 years as well.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2004, 09:31:32 am »
CTfreak, how old was Garg when Toma found the Rainbow Shell?  What's the age difference between the two of them?  I can't seem to find it anywhere...

EDIT: I modded a CT sprite and made something that looks like my character Serian Rendath.  This is the basic body shape and coloring of the Tyran people.  Try to imagine him with short spines on his skin and you've got a good idea.

Also, anybody wanting a sprite mod done for their character can just ask.  I have a bunch of experience doing FFVI and CT mods, so...yeah.  Just ask.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2004, 05:36:55 pm »
I'd figure they're about the same age, unless someone wants to suggest Toma is over the hill (40+), in which case Garg would be younger. For sure, he's in his late 20's to mid 30's, depending on how old Toma himself actually is.

Afterthought: choosing randomly from a prime numbers chart, I'd wager that Garg was born between A.D. 563 and A.D. 569.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Character Sketches.
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2004, 05:49:23 pm »
We can establish Toma's age, because his birthday is on his gravestone. I don't have it handy, but we don't need to speculate on it.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2004, 09:16:12 pm »
3/6/634?

That doesn't make sense.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2004, 10:45:41 pm »
Quote from: chronotriggerfreak
3/6/634?

That doesn't make sense.

That's the day Toma dies, not the day he's born.  Let's just say 570 and be done with it.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Character Sketches.
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2004, 11:12:23 pm »
Hmmm. I thought  it was both. Guess I was wrong. 570 is as good an estimate as any though.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Character Sketches.
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2004, 05:30:20 am »
How much is their exact age going to matter? I mean, it's not like you're going to outright state & specify their age in your writing, right? I guess you could though...whatever...

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2004, 10:47:55 am »
The specific age doesn't matter, but I needed to know how old Toma was--aproximately--before I could say how old Garg was in relation to Toma. I suspected they were about the same age, but if Toma was going to be called forty or fifty years old, then Garg would have to be called younger. And the age relationship is quite important, given the politics-like nature of their overall relationship.

Besides, his age would change such phrases as "Garg's younger/older counterpart," and those can be used without much distraction at all.

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2004, 09:18:32 pm »
OK I have no idea where to put this but I would like to point out that since Jai is techically a monster, his moveset would be monster moves, meaning none of his attacks are original.

Crimson Rain/HP down
Mystic Ray/Shadow
Psychoteinesis
Blizzard/Chaos