Author Topic: THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY  (Read 32454 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:52:06 am »
FEEL FREE TO REVIVE THREADS

Going through analysis, it's become obvious that some people criticize others for reviving threads. What, would you rather have twenty new contentless threads to spam up the forums? These threads are meant to be eternal as long as things remain to be discussed. Although there are some pretty stupid bumps out there, there are mods to deal with those.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:44 am »
I've always wondered about this whole 'reviving threads is bad' business. I've never seen anything wrong with it, and it's good to see you're allowing it, ZeaLitY. :)

Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:58:42 pm »
We should consider creating an indoctrination process that we seamlessly can integrate with the registration process -- something that helps familiarize new members with the atmosphere and rules of this particular board, since things are a bit different here.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:58:14 pm »
We should consider creating an indoctrination process that we seamlessly can integrate with the registration process -- something that helps familiarize new members with the atmosphere and rules of this particular board, since things are a bit different here.
There's a screen that shows a set of rules you have to agree to in order to be able to register, right? Why not just edit that to our specifications?

Of course, we could also set up a link to a specific rules thread that the new registrant is automatically taken to upon registration.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 09:39:11 pm »
Added it to the registration agreement.

HEY! Welcome to the Compendium!

That old registration agreement sucked, so we'll just post the general forum rules here. Before reading, I'll have you know that THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY. Better that an old topic be bumped with new, relevant discussion than a new topic be made, which clutters up forums. So feel free to revive a thread if you have something valuable to offer.

Chrono Compendium staff members

1. shall be fans of the entire Chrono series.
2. shall not attempt to use the site merely for personal aggrandizement.
3. shall not use the site in pursuit of any commercial endeavor.
4. shall not support fan petitions as a staff member of the site.
5. shall not defame other web sites in the Chrono community.

Chrono Compendium members

1. shall treat all other members in a courteous and respectful manner.
2. shall not post or link to any material which may be found offensive by other members.
3. shall not post derogatory or insulting statements toward any other member or post comments intended to annoy or provoke other members.
4. shall respect the privacy of all other members.
5. shall not engage in any activities which disrupt the normal functioning of the website.
6. shall not create an user name intended to impersonate, mock, or antagonize another member or falsely claim to be another member.
7. shall not attempt to gain access, privileges, or abilities unintended by the design of the website or gain unauthorized access of the user account of another member.
8. shall endeavor to convey the highest possible level of truth and accuracy in every post or submission.
9. shall not knowingly submit any theories or statements which are false or erroneous nor modify any body of evidence to support such a claim.
10. shall not claim ownership of any work created by another person. If the work of another person is reproduced in whole or in part, full credit shall be given to the original author.
11. shall not post any illegal material, as well as anything that is self-incriminating or incriminates other members.

The old agreement, which has all the law and stuff, still appears (although bumped down after this one).

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 09:55:28 pm »
Well, there you go, problem solved. Now we just have to hope that new registrants actually read this list of rules and whatnot...I always do whenever I register somewhere, but that's just me...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 11:28:17 pm »
Sometimes I click "Disagree" on those terms of service just out of spite...

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 12:07:22 am »
I was thinking of more of an interactive training system that users have to pass through to activate their account. It would ask a lot of questions like:

(Screenshot of an old forum post followed by a year-late reply)

How do you feel about the replier to the post?

A. Nothing.
B. The poster didn't make a relevant post.
C. The poster shouldn't have replied to an old thread.

With option C. taking the user to the following:

Why?
(textarea for user to type a response)

At the end of the exam, if the person has a lot of questionable habits, we force them to go through a 4-page introduction to our forums, and then give them the option to submit their application for review if they want to join. Then their application would be posted as a poll to a sub-forum where we could collect input from existing members based on the open-ended replies they chose to give.

Then only those who can obtain a referral from members of the "Invite" group on the boards can skip the process.

Of course, we'd never really do all of this, because then the forums wouldn't be open to everyone...

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:00:17 pm »
I think your Idea might work and this is from a new members point of view also I agree with the reviving threads is good, many forums don't allow it and then they (some not all) get really cluttered.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:31:09 pm »
Sorry to go to an old post, but, I think we should change it from Thread Necromancy to Bluethundering or something.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 05:16:42 pm »
as a fairly new member here on the forums, i think it's dumb to make it difficult for new members.  it doesn't matter if you've been here four years or four days.  it's unfair and stupid to make it a difficult process for new members (in reference to the four-page idea, etc.).  zeality has the right idea with the registration agreement; it doesn't need to go beyond that. 

if you don't want to look into a revived thread, then don't.  this is a forum for EVERYBODY.

Ramsus

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 12:32:18 am »
as a fairly new member here on the forums, i think it's dumb to make it difficult for new members.  it doesn't matter if you've been here four years or four days.  it's unfair and stupid to make it a difficult process for new members (in reference to the four-page idea, etc.).  zeality has the right idea with the registration agreement; it doesn't need to go beyond that. 

if you don't want to look into a revived thread, then don't.  this is a forum for EVERYBODY.

You're way too serious. I was satirizing the socialization structure that most societies are built on.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 01:02:08 am »
whoops... my bad...

many apologies.  sometimes sarcasm gets lost in those types of things...

i stand corrected.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:44:41 am »
Reviving the Necromancy thread, huh.

^that was my first post was here. :D^

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:46:28 am »
BlueThundering? Where'd bluethunder go anyway? Wasn't he your brother?