Author Topic: THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY  (Read 32452 times)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »
He pops up once in a while. He's not into the Chrono Series that much as me.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 04:12:57 am »
Was it you who didn't know he was your brother, or him?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 01:12:32 pm »
We both kinda didn't know until he started complaining to me about stuff that was happening here with Exodus. Kind of an eye opener.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 12:09:11 am »
Wow, this is the first forum that members actually supported thread necromancy.  Everywhere else I go you hear "it's dead for a reason".  Well, if I shoot your grandmother in the back of the ear and she dies, the reason she dies is because someone shot her ear off.  Does she deserve to be dead?  Probably not.  It just kinda happened.  Oops.

(yes, I realize I am currently bumping the thread [oh the irony?])

Anyway, glad to hear you support the dark arts, and I'm off to...wait a minute...Why is it necromancy, when Life2 is a water spell?

Ramsus

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 01:38:31 pm »
Consecutively posting multiple times in the same thread (i.e. double posting) is also okay.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 03:10:23 am »
It is? I thought it was still at least frowned upon...I mean, I understand doing it because that way if someone already read it, they'll know you've added something, but afterward (a week? another post?) I think people should edit & delete just for aesthetics' sake...

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »
Personally, I'd double post when changing my opinion on something or posting about something different. If I were correcting the language and so on of a post, I would edit it, as the meaning should remain the same. I'm also hesitant to edit anything after somebody else has read it, because then it could reasonably come across as different to different readers, and it might make people suspect I'd changed what I'd posted to save face at the expense of what I'd originally said being knowable. It's generally a good idea to state why one edited a post. Time shouldn't factor into it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:37:27 pm by MsBlack »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »
I said "a week? a post?" meaning that after you double post you should let some time pass and if either nothing happens in a week or so or someone else posts after your double post THEN you should edit the two posts together...does that make sense? I've done it before...

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 08:27:45 pm »
There could be people who come back after a week and don't realise, for example. I don't really see any reason not to double post. Practicality over aesthetics, no?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 10:46:52 pm »
Clutter as well...The more posts, the more pages, the more intimidating the thread becomes to new people coming in...I mean, the Compendium's main threads are normally lengthy enough w/o people creating more by excessive double posts...at the very least then after someone else posts?

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 04:59:24 am »
Then I'd just make the decision based on my earlier post. Pandering to people put off by threads with more pages (a thread with more posts is not necessarily lengthier) isn't really a good reason and also contradicts past Compendium practices. If storage space were a known issue, perhaps things would be different.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 04:03:31 pm »
What I wouldn't give to get my hands on the CTR source code. Unfortunately, it's probably going to need forensic technicians to scoop out of the developer's computer's void of deletion... Too bad you have to ellaborately murder someone for them to even remotely get involved.

4th Triforce piece

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »
I agree.  Most forums have sooo many ethics it's too the point they care abou the ethics more then the actual discussion.

"Wow, this is the first forum that members actually supported thread necromancy.  Everywhere else I go you hear "it's dead for a reason".  Well, if I shoot your grandmother in the back of the ear and she dies, the reason she dies is because someone shot her ear off.  Does she deserve to be dead?  Probably not.  It just kinda happened.  Oops.

(yes, I realize I am currently bumping the thread [oh the irony?])

Anyway, glad to hear you support the dark arts, and I'm off to...wait a minute...Why is it necromancy, when Life2 is a water spell?"  quoted by d3viant.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 05:03:09 pm »
It is? I thought it was still at least frowned upon...I mean, I understand doing it because that way if someone already read it, they'll know you've added something, but afterward (a week? another post?) I think people should edit & delete just for aesthetics' sake...

I've always thought the opposite.

Before a day/week (depending on how active the forum is):
- edit your post. It's likely no one's had the chance to read it yet.

After a day/week:
- Double post. People have had a chance to read it, no one's responded yet, and you've had something to say. Say it in a new post, letting everyone know there's something new going on.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:24 am »
It's amazing people on other forums get so worked up about this. It really has nothing to do with optimal forum usage. It's all about promulgating means of social conformity. "THIS IS OUR CUSTOM!! TO BE LIKE US YOU MUST ACT LIKE US!!!"

Bosh.